Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I remember Shomas wearing some hats during his beard days.

Comment

Yeah Shomas, killing it as usual. Hoping my JCF Thompson fits as well as that. I exchanged for a smaller size, and hoping!

I'm pretty sure you were wearing a panama style hat a while back too.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff4 View Post
        Yeah Shomas, killing it as usual. Hoping my JCF Thompson fits as well as that. I exchanged for a smaller size, and hoping!

I'm pretty sure you were wearing a panama style hat a while back too.
        I'm sure there are some pics around here of me in a hat. I'm not sure if any of my straw versions are in those pics, but I will make that happen. Otherwise, thanks for the feedback - I don't know that anyone thought I looked especially good, but I didn't get any votes to the contrary.

Comment

This is a shirt I just got from eBay. I love it. Mother of Pearl buttons on a linen shirt is pretty boss.

LE Linen/cotton jacket
          Giampaolo linen shirt
          JCrew linen pants (grey)
          Thrifted Bostonian loafers

Shomas, looking swell. How was the reunion? The nato strap is a nice touch with the suit and monks. Shirt looks just fine to me. (I keep a full backup outfit at work, too, because I'm incredibly clumsy. I feel your coffee pain. Sometimes quite literally.)

Yoyorobbo, haha, I should have said "business casual" instead of "work clothes" (I meant "the sort of clothes I work in every day at the office," but it read like I wanted to wear a panama hat while swinging an axe or something). I'll be at an academic conference in the southern hemisphere, near the equator, in July. It will be the cool season there, sort of, which means 85 and muggy. We might spend some time outdoors, so I think I want something to keep the sun off. I suppose a panama style hat might be better than a ball cap. Thanks for the articles, I'll check them out.

Vicious, do you usually roll up your sleeves at work? I like to do that when wearing a shirt without a jacket. Or do you prefer the full-sleeve look?

I love the blue humor lately.

Comment

BB - It's funny that you love that shirt but it's my least favorite item from any of your outfits over the last few weeks. I'm just not a fan of that pattern. What bag is that on your shoulder?

I roll my sleeves up once it starts getting a little warmer. Lately it's been in the high 60's/low 70's. Our weather is all over the place. High of 75 yesterday, 83 today, 58 next Monday and back up to 81 on Thursday.
            Last edited by Vicious49; May 10, 2013, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I'm a sucker for light blue and pink combinations, and I like plaid, though I don't own much of it. Is it the colors, or is it the shape of the plaid -- too busy for your taste?

That's my Saddleback bag -- it's a large briefcase in the slightly reddish-brown shade.

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
                -- too busy for your taste?

That's my Saddleback bag -- it's a large briefcase in the slightly reddish-brown shade.
                Yeah, I think so. I prefer my shirts to be on the plain side and the tie be busy.

That saddleback bag is beautiful. I was trying to decide between that and a Filson and went with the Filson due to it being lighter and not quite as big/bulky. I had ordered the navy Filson bag in preparation for this job I'd be getting that would require me to go in to the office but returned it for now since the position is being delayed due to some other projects being cut. Doesn't make sense for me to keep a $200 bag in my closet. Hopefully they can get me in there by the end of June like the manager said. It was originally supposed to be middle of this month so we'll see.

Comment

Thanks, all. The reunion went fine. It was a 5 year law school reunion, so it wasn't quite as rich in potential schadenfreude and/or shame as something like a high school reunion. Lots of networking, which ... I'd rather be at home with my wife and a decent cocktail, really. Good excuse to put on a suit, though. As for the backup shirt, I actually like the pattern a lot. It's just the fit I have a problem with. Brooks Bros. shirts just don't fit me well at all - even the extra slim, which this one is.

Speaking of shirts, I like the pattern on that linen one a lot, BB. It hasn't really been warm enough here yet to bust out the linen, but I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

@BB: I think that shirt work fine there, as it is your only busy piece. It looks pretty soft and comfortable. The lighter hues like that pink and blue work really good against the darker navy, and of course the navy balances well with the grey pants. Great look, IMO. However, like Vicious, I'm not sure I would've snagged that shirt, personally. I really actually like it, but I bet I would've just clicked right past it. Maybe I should keep my eyes open a bit more when it comes to patterned shirts. I have a few, but not a whole lot of variety, really.

Regarding the hat, yeah I bet you'd be good with a panama for that kinda deal you detailed there. LOL on the confusion with "swinging an axe!" Actually I had trench digging and beekeeping in mind, for some reason. You school trip sounds much nicer. Enjoy! Oh, and yeah, check those articles/links out. I think you'll find some interesting info regarding especially construction, fabric, weave, etc. - that should be useful for you in such a warm, muggy climate. Maybe. Maybe not. Worth a gander, though.

Originally posted by BB View Post
                    I love the blue humor lately.
                    Oh man, I think the can o' worms may have just been opened. LOL

@Shomas: "Schadenfreude?" - Why you gotta go and make me look sh*t up, huh? It's Friday, man. My weekly *google-fu* is all but used up! Glad to hear the reunion went well, and I hear ya on the "rather be at home with the wife and a drink" tip. Hopefully that works out for you tonight instead.

Comment

I'm not often in a a suit (probably should revisit this post a little more frequently, I guess). However, I have two functions today (one somber and unpleasant - one fun and enjoyable), and both called for a little nicer getup than my more typical choices. I have a funeral home family visitation for a friend's father this afternoon, and a dinner/musical/auction event this evening with my wife and kids, and another couple. I'll be going basically from one to the other, so went with something that would hopefully work OK for both.

I'm thinking I should lose the pocket square for the funeral home, right? - seems like it's best there to tone things down, not spruce them up. Maybe it's inconsequential, since it's not very flashy or colorful. Dunno. Regardless, I'll probably move it to the inside jacket pocket, in case anyone else needs to dry their eyes. I have my usual handkerchief-in-back-pocket covered already, but this could be a backup if things get really bad.

Also wanted to wear some shoes that were a tad more dressy - mostly meaning simply leather-soled ones. But it's been raining all morning, so I went with a rubber-soled option instead. Sometimes ya gotta make that call, I guess.

Suit: BR
                      Shirt: Merona
                      Tie: Wembley
                      Pocket square: Merona
                      Belt: PE
                      Socks: JCF
                      Shoes: Alden (thrifted)
                      Watch: Orient
                      Scent: Creed

Comment

Impeccable yoyo, that's how a suit should fit.

I wouldn't stress about the pocket square personally. But you could swap out the tie for something with a little more color once you leave and go to your event? Either way, looks phenomenal. I rarely wear a suit anymore these days, save for the occasional wedding or event but I don't know if I will ever go back to wearing regular ties after getting a few knit ties. They look so great.
                        "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

. Edit: I updated the look a little. Swapped ss for long sleeve and put on a uniqlo linen blazer
                          Last edited by Jake101; May 10, 2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Went casual today and decided to take some of y'alls advice and give these shoes a shot.

Comment

Vicious, the shoes look great. Whole outfit's a winner, really.

Jake101, I think you made a good call with the long sleeves and the blazer. Overall, how do you like that jacket? Some of Uniqlo's jackets fit me kind of funny, but I really like the idea...

Yoyo, sorry it's for an unpleasant affair, but I agree that the suit looks great on you. Also, I think the pocket square is fine. And re. "shadenfreude," you're welcome. It's an incredibly useful word - or maybe only for cynical bastards like me.

Comment

@Vicious - perfect use of those shoes. I bought the AE Player in navy suede, and while I really like them, I doubt I'll be able to wear them as frequently as I would if they were in sand instead. Great look.

Comment

Working...
                                X