This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Unfortunately those types of hats don't look right on me otherwise I'd always be wearing Fedoras and such.
    Likewise...I had a similar hat I used to wear for bbq's and picnics but I was never really comfortable in it. Threw it away last weekend.

Yoyo - if you don't mind me asking, how much was the thrifted omega?

Comment

Is the Creed Aventus that good? I was thinking of trying it next time I was at a Sax or some other high end that might carry it.
      Well, scents are very personal, I'd say, so what I like you may hate. However, it is AMAZING! LOL It has such a great mix of fruit (apple/pineapple), leather and smokiness. Sounds weird, but it really works. The fruitiness and the smokiness can vary massively depending on what batch (lot#) you have. It is something that gets some folks really riled-up; quite understandably so, actually. You figure you pay top dollar for a fragrance, you should get what you are expecting. But unless you already understand the batch variations, and know which one you are buying, it can be a real crap shoot.

My Aventus is in the form of two different 50 ml "decants" of the best batch ever - LOL - no, really - from some fellow fragheads who do splits. They buy huge flacons of the best (well, the most popular, sought after - again, scents are personal) batches directly from the Creed boutique in NYC. That way they know for sure what they are getting, and that it is as fresh as possible. Then they decant that juice into smaller amounts, for a really, really good price. They can ask such good/low prices, due to the fact that they bought such a big bottle. Think "buying in bulk." There's work involved, for sure, but these guys usually are really into it anyway, so it's kinda a ritual for them. There are a few really great "communities" online (Facebook groups & Youtube channels, etc), similar in some ways to what we have here at Dappered and these threads. It's a good place to buy/sell used scents, if you're into that. And the splits are probably the coolest thing ever.

If you ever decide to actually get some, feel free to hit me up before you buy. I *might* be able to help you make your way through the batch variation maze, or maybe even hook you up with a good splitter. Only if you want to, of course. You can certainly hit a counter and sniff them yourself, but like I said their tester will likely be a different batch from their shelf stock. Sometimes not, but usually they have a mix of batches in stock.

In summary, yep it's *that* good.
      Last edited by yoyorobbo; May 9, 2013, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
        In the ongoing discussion of "tuck or don't tuck," and in the *spirit* of the recently (unfortunately) mentioned Buffalo Bill, there's always the quick "tuck it, just right there in the front" choice. I know, I know... totally uncalled-for. My apologies, fellas. I'm sick about it myself. But it really had to be proposed as a middle-of-the-road option.

Henley: Converse
        Belt: JCF
        Chinos: BR
        Shoes: Converse
        Watch: Timex (vintage - thrifted)
        Scent: CK
        Trilby: Original Penguin

Oh yeah, grabbed a new hat for the Summer from Nordy Rack the other day. I like these kinda squishy(?) ones, as opposed to the more sturdily-structured ones (wow, this isn't sounding very good), especially for just backyard BBQs and hangin' at the pool and such. The darker blue color might not be the best for the heat, but WTF... I like navy blue, and there's of course the main idea of protecting my hairless dome from the ever-cruel Sun. So there; take that, Your Solarness!
        This definitely isn't going to elevate the tone, but at first glance that cologne bottle looked like a vibrator. Tells you where I've been hangin out...

Re. the hat: I'm not wild about straw trilbies. It may well work for you (definitely doesn't for me), but that's almost impossible to tell without seeing the face below it (not knocking the anonymity - I totally understand that impulse even if that ship has sailed for me...). That said, the color, crown shape and band on yours are all pretty nice.

As for where to get good lids, unfortunately the good old mens hat shop is not really a fixture of the retail scene anymore. I know of a couple of good ones in New York and LA, but I don't think it's the kind of thing every town has. What looks good is totally idiosyncratic and will vary person to person and even day to day on the same person. All you can really do is find a place with a lot of different hats and try them on. And bring a critical friend.

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
          So, I don't think I look all that good in a hat, but I think I might need a summer hat for a couple of things where I might be outdoors in work clothes in sweltering heat. What do you all recommend for hats? Robbo, I think I like that hat, but it looks too casual for me. Do I go for a panama hat? If so, what do I look for?
          Hmmn... well, outdoor work, in sweltering heat... yeah, even if the one I have there isn't your style, I don't know if I'd recommend it for that type of deal. It has a very short/narrow brim, so it won't cover much more than the top of your head. In other words, you might want more protection than that.

I'm not really a hat expert, but a few guys here I think are. Hopefully they'll see this and chime in. Seems like someone was sportin' a hat in a somewhat recent WIWT pic. Was it LesserBlackDog? Could be. IIRC, he is quite an avid outdoorsman too, so he might have some good recommendations from those experiences too.

Regardles, if I were you, I'd opt for something with a wider brim, to help protect more of your face, nose, etc. - maybe even some of your neck.

I bet a panama hat would fit that requirement, as long as you are good with how you look in it too. There is a line there, where utility can beat out style, in the most extreme cases. But you might find one that covers both bases. I'd think you'd want a good one, though, of a quality weave, so as to allow for some air ventilation. Hats can get hot.

This article on Summer wardrobe, covers a little bit about hats:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/0...er-dressing-2/

And here's another pretty good article on hats, in general - dealing with choice based on head shape, etc - at artofmanliness, that might be helpful in your quest:
          http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/0...your-ugly-mug/

Don't take that as me saying you have an "ugly mug." Maybe you do. Maybe you don't. Just trying to help ya out. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by AENYC View Post
            Likewise...I had a similar hat I used to wear for bbq's and picnics but I was never really comfortable in it. Threw it away last weekend.

Yoyo - if you don't mind me asking, how much was the thrifted omega?
            I feel ya, man. I've had second thoughts when wearing a couple of mine before too. If it makes ya feel really uncomfortable, then yeah, may as well get rid of it. I'm not totally sold on this one eiter, but I'm gonna give it a whirl. It was pretty cheap ($25).

Regarding the watch, it's actually only a Timex. I *wish* it was an Omega! It was $5. LOL - It's just got a cool retro vibe, IMO. Timex has come out with a throwback series, highlighting the "Q" on the dial like the old ones. One of them actually has the blue dial too. Joe has covered those on the main Dappered site a few times. I just saw those new "Q" watches at Nordy Rack, when I picked up that hat. They're pretty cool, but I'm good for now with this old original one.

Only thing that kinda sucks, is I think a previous owner painted the seconds hand red. I've seen a few pics online of other ones, and the hand was not red. Actually, maybe he painted them all red. Dunno. I'll have to google it again. Anyway, for $5, I wasn't gonna complain. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
              Regarding the watch, it's actually only a Timex. I *wish* it was an Omega!
              lol, it must be past quitting time for me! Regardless, looks good!

Comment

Robbo - I'll contact you in a few months when I'm looking to pick up some Aventus. Some help getting one of their best batches would be great.

What I actually wore is on the left. Plain old boring outfit. Figure I'd throw on the jacket I just picked up from BR to get some feedback from you guys on it. It has a bit of a Baracuta G9 look to it except brighter which I liked for this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Doctor View Post

Just got my LEC 608 Slim jeans in the mail a couple days ago after snagging them for 40% off. Still trying to break them in after a cold wash.

Polo- Rugby
                  Jeans- LEC 608 Slim
                  Belt- EMS canvas web belt
                  Watch- Longines
                  Shoes- Vans x Barbour

The jeans were initially a little more difficult than I hoped to get on over my hockey legs but they're breaking in ok. I can definitely corroborate the "In Person" on the main site though. The legs from the knee down and the cuff opening is pretty small:
                  Snake Doctor: This is a solid casual look. Like Sigtweed, I grew up in Southern California, and have a real soft spot for Vans (pretty sure navy Vans authentics were the first shoes I ever really wanted). I'm kind of a purist and prefer a simpler style, but that's a pretty small nit to pick. Overall, I like this and I like that Vans are showing up around here with some frequency.

BB: Everything you're posting lately is awsome. I have nothing but envy.

Comment

And this is me today, suited up for work and a class reunion tonight:

Suit: JCF
                    Shirt: Brooks Brothers
                    Tie and tie bar: The Tie Bar
                    Pocket square: JCF
                    Shoes: AE

I really don't like this shirt, but I totally donkeyed as I was walking into the subway station today and dumped coffee on myself (like really dumped-couldn't have done a more efficient job if I was trying).
                    This is my backup. Luckily I was picking up the jacket from the tailor today, so I didn't have it on at the time and only fouled my shirt.

Comment

@shomas - which tie is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                        This definitely isn't going to elevate the tone, but at first glance that cologne bottle looked like a vibrator. Tells you where I've been hangin out...
                        LOL! Well, then you'd really get some crazy visions if I ever wear some of my Rochas Man in a WIWT pic. Oh man! The bottle on that one has quite a seedy connotation in the fragcomm. I might just wear it soon, just for fun. Well, not *that* kinda fun. You'll see. It's really quite disturbing. LOL

Anyway, I see your point, Shomas. It's a travel decant/sprayer. It came with 3 glass vials of the EdT, each 20 ml IIRC, and that metallic dildo.. er... atomizer, which you fit the vial into. It's for traveling without worry of breaking the bottle. But now with your comparison in the mix, I could see how it might get some weird looks during the security baggage scan. Doh!

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                        Re. the hat: I'm not wild about straw trilbies. It may well work for you (definitely doesn't for me), but that's almost impossible to tell without seeing the face below it (not knocking the anonymity - I totally understand that impulse even if that ship has sailed for me...). That said, the color, crown shape and band on yours are all pretty nice.
                        This one is 100% "paper straw" - so it's really squishy, almost rubbery, synthetic feeling - I really don't know how better to describe it. It's not rough or stiff like what I'd expect from "*straw* straw" - if that's what you mean. And thanks for the mention of the positives with this one, even though it's not your personal style choice. I think the color really sold it for for me. I have seen so many others in more common khakis, beiges, tans, etc. But this shade of blue (might be tough to see in the pic) really stood out without standing out too much to me, if that makes sense. I like my stuff to be a *little* bit different from other peoples stuff; whenever possible and appropriate. The neutral band colors should help tie it into other looks too, I hope. We'll see.

And yeah on the anonymous pics: not sure why I do that, but I think I just copied someone to begin with, and kept on the DL after that. Ah well. I think it's interesting to see someone all of a sudden pop up with an exposed face shot, after they've been anonymous initially. You can have a whole different idea of what they really look like - and then BAM! I've done that with podcasters, radio personalities, etc. too. A person's *voice* can really mess with your perceived notion of their appearance. Y'know?

Comment

Originally posted by AENYC View Post
                          lol, it must be past quitting time for me! Regardless, looks good!
                          LOL - I can see where you got that, though; I think. That big "Q" that they were rockin' back then (and on the new throwback ones) could possibly be seen as an "Ω." That was it, right? RIGHT? Either that or yeah, time to head home, man. Ha!

Comment

Robbo - I'll contact you in a few months when I'm looking to pick up some Aventus. Some help getting one of their best batches would be great.
                            Of course, man. For sure! Hit me up whenever you're ready. I can't promise that the splitters I know and trust will be doing one at that time, or will have the best batches available, but it's worth a shot. Very affordable way to get some of it, and make sure you *really* like it, before splurging for a BIG bottle. Also, just batch numbers, by themselves can be seen on the boxes/bottles, if you go shopping for a bottle by yourself. Again, just hit me up. No problem.

Oh, and that red BR jacket: I really like it! I *almost* picked that up back during the F&F sale, but went a suit, blazers and a pair of bucks. Gotta go for the higher priced items that are usually *excluded* from sales, amiright?

Anyway, I also already have a red Harrington Baracuta wannabe jacket that I thrifted a while back. It's really nowhere near the quality of a real one (someday... someday - that navy with tartan interior will be mine!), but it's useable, and it's red.

Anyway, I really thought they might come out with that one there in a couple other color options, but it's been a few months and no-ah-ah, so that's probably it for now. I have a black jacket from them that is pretty close to that, but not something I wear very much at all, actually.

That one there has a really nice almost canvasy feel to it, IIRC. Right? Whatever it is, it feels pretty substantial for a jacket. I think it's pretty sweet.

Comment

Shomas, you efficient donkeyer, you. Err.. what?

Hey man, looking slick, especially for the class reunion. I'm sure you'll give 'em something to wonder about on the ride home and for a while after that. "Man, Shomas (or whatever you're *real* name is) is freeeeakin' dapper! Dude really has his sh$t tight, riiiiiiiiiiiight?!?!?" (Not claiming this is how your former classmates talk - but you get what I mean). Let me stop this nonsense and just say, "Nice! Classy and cool, per usual."

Comment

Oh crap, one more thing as I pile on the replies here: Shomas, now I remember *you* were rockin' some hat looks in some of your earlier WIWT pics, right? Maybe it was as far back as last Summer; dunno. But I'm pretty sure I was right about LesserBlack wearing one VERY recently - and now I'm recalling seeing you rock a fedora or something similar too, right? I'll have to make use of the ol' search bar.

Comment

Working...
                                X