This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    This whole conversation really begs for a RuPaul's Drag Race reference.
    Originally posted by MarkB View Post
    Or at least a mention of Buffalo Bill. 
    LOL, fellas! Yeah, it kinda does, dunnit? Mark, I also went there with the Buffalo Bill ref on another thread yesterday. Can't recall exactly which one, but I think I may have shadow4life's day with the comment. LOL!

Originally posted by Sigtweed Corduroy View Post
    Yeah, Sig, kinda like you just did. LOL! Crazy good movie, though. Man!

Comment

Originally posted by AENYC View Post
      NYC's hipster cop as nothing on you!
      Keep at it, I think the colored pants trend is cool and hope it keeps going. Is it tough walking into the police station wearing red pants? Do your co-workers give you crap for being dressed up and on trend? Absolutely nothing against all the fine folks protecting our streets but I can't imagine it is a hot bed of men's style....

Regarding the undershirt, that is obviously a very legitimate reason to keep wearing the undershirt my friend.
      "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
        @Sigtweed: You really represent the California casual vibe nicely, bud. At least what I imagine it would be; haven't been out to LA in probably 16 or 17 years. I dig the slant that you (and others, of course) add to WIWT. Cool, man!.
        Thank you very much for the kind words my friend. LA is indeed an inherently more casual place than others, if anything purely just based on the weather and work environments. I also grew up in Socal so Vans are pretty much in my DNA. I do like to mix it up though, I like to pride myself on trying to keep it interesting every day, sometimes more relaxed, sometimes more dressed up, sometimes preppy, sometimes casual. Fortunately I work in a creative industry (fashion/ecommerce business) so our dress code is definitely not suit and tie based.
        "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

@bruschetta and BB (and LesserBlackDog, by association): That is a funny perspective. I know I struggled with my first *incognito* WIWT pic, only because I wasn't near a mirror, and I wasn't about to ask a total stranger at Panera Bread to take my pic; so I ended up with an odd perspective photo then. But the couple you guys have posted remind me of those pics that people take when looking down & out of the Sears Tower (I think that's the building). LOL - Anyway, good stuff by all of you, per usual. Nice getups! Nice colors, nice mixing and matching, hither and tither.

Oh, and BB, nice thift on the longwings! Gotta dig those kinda steals. Kinda fun to take a neglected pair and clean 'em up, right? Although I don't think anyone can touch AcouticFoodie in that regard. Dude has one serious collection of thrifted kicks!

@Snake Doctor: I'd say you pulled the red pants look off just fine. I'm still a little leery of it for myself. I do have a pair, but they are maybe a little muted or something - I'd have to dig them out to better describe them. I picked them up marked waaaaaay down at a local Marshalls. They were $11, IIRC. Dockers, can't recall the fit, but slimmer than a D2, not quite a D1 or Alpha, I don't think. Button fly, though - which I really like. Haven't seen button-fly Dockers chinos before, so I snagged them. Might bust them out this Summer. Anyway, good look for you, man!

@bjmcgeever: Duuuuuuuuude.... nice! Way to rope your wife into the pic. You guys look great together. Nice and complimentary to each other's look. Maybe a *little* bit of a shoulder rumple there with your coat - could be the padding, could be your stance as a couple right then and there, dunno - but seriously, that is total nitpicking on my part. I really think you two killed it there! I bet the rest of the dinner party took down some notes after you left.

MarkB: LOL, re the Seinfeld ref. But much nicer duds than Morty would rock. "Cheap fabric, and dim lighting. That's how you move merchandise." - Just make sure you don't try the George Costanza look. The *manssiere* is not Dappered-approved; at least last I checked.
          Last edited by yoyorobbo; May 8, 2013, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Speaking of *tucking* or not... (WODER!)

Shirt: BR (thrifted)
            Belt: Timberland
            Jeans: Levi's
            Shoes: Bass
            Watch: Seiko
            Fragrance: YSL

Bummin' a bit more today in my oldest, most comfortable pair of jeans. I know the wash is not the most "of-the-moment" choice, but sometimes that old-dog pair of 501s just feels right. Ya'know?
            Last edited by yoyorobbo; May 8, 2013, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Absolutely beautiful spring day.

Kenneth Cole pincord grey jacket, newly DIY-unlined
              JC shirt
              TieBar tie
              JC linen pants
              Stafford wingtips

Snake doctor, looking good. I like the bold pants thing, but I'm a bit scared to do it at work.

Comment

Trying out a new belt I picked up from STP for $6.

shirt - J Crew
                jeans - BR factory
                shoes -AE Aberdeen

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
                  Absolutely beautiful spring day.

Kenneth Cole pincord grey jacket, newly DIY-unlined
                  JC shirt
                  TieBar tie
                  JC linen pants
                  Stafford wingtips

Snake doctor, looking good. I like the bold pants thing, but I'm a bit scared to do it at work.
                  This looks great, all the way around. Nice work.

Comment

As usual, nothing elaborate...

Kensington blazer
                    Stafford OCBD
                    Dockers Signature khakis
                    no name belt
                    Cole Haan loafers

Comment

My first time participating in one of these threads. Chilly day in the Bay Area, so went full on rumpled professor.
                      Stafford Alex cap-toe oxfords
                      Unbranded raw denim jeans
                      •Oxford button down from Uniqlo
                      •Sweater a rather rumpled old Banara Republic
                      Uniqlo tweed jacket.

Thoughts after looking at this picture. The raw jeans are a bit too casual for the look. I dig my fades, but not appropriate for this outfit. And man, this tweed is short on me. Damn me being 6'2".
                      Last edited by bruschetta; May 8, 2013, 10:19 PM. Reason: Fixed your image.

Comment

Been a while, I've been stuck in finals prep/exam taking for the past month or so. Last semester of law school, one exam to go. Must.Find.Motivation.Somewhere.

Anyways, as usual, the grad-student-in-CA thing/being a lifelong water polo bum comes through in the casual attire. I'll start work at a firm in the fall, I'll have to step my dressy-ness game up then. Until then, I try to pay attention to fit and the like, but there's not a ton of opportunity to get dappered-out.

Today:

Shirt - J. Crew I think
                        Belt - JC
                        Jeans - 7s (majorly on sale at nordstroms rack a few years ago)
                        Shoes - Rainbows (saw some love for Vans a few posts ago. Between Vans and Rainbows, I think that's what I spent the majority of my life in throughout my academic/athletic careers, love them both but I'm sure plenty will dislike the sandals as they certainly are decidedly un-dapper).

Earlier this week (despite the bright light coming from behind me, it was chilly):

Jacket - Zara
                        Shirt - Public Opinion or whatever the house brand at nordstroms was (2 for $30, well made, fit well, love 'em)
                        Belt - JC
                        Jeans - J. Brand
                        Shoes - Nike

Proof that I do occasionally have an opportunity to wear something nicer (celebration dinner after the last day of classes ended). The random person who took the picture for us accidentally took it in black and white, sorry about that:

Jacket - Suit Supply
                        Shirt - Nordstroms brand
                        Pocket Square - Tie Bar
                        Jeans - J. Brand
                        Shoes - Grey suede BR bucks

Bonus picture - my life for the next week:

Subject - Wills and Trusts
                        Interest level - lower than low
                        Days till it's over - 5
                        Plans immediately afterwards - couple games of pickup basketball. Then beer. Lots of beer.

Comment

Thanks, Shomas. You worn that navy seersucker yet?

NewGuy, hang in there. Finals are awful, but you will feel so good afterwards, all drunk and hitting 3-pointers.

Comment

Hey Vicious, since you have that beauty of a Christopher Ward, you obviously dont need your Orient Cosmos anymore, so you should sell it to me because I cant find it ANYWHERE and it is driving me nuts. I will throw my wallet at the first one I see!

That is my jealous rant over your stellar watch selections.

Comment

Originally posted by Focuspants View Post
                              Hey Vicious, since you have that beauty of a Christopher Ward, you obviously dont need your Orient Cosmos anymore, so you should sell it to me because I cant find it ANYWHERE and it is driving me nuts. I will throw my wallet at the first one I see!

That is my jealous rant over your stellar watch selections.
                              My orient millennium you mean? I was a bit of a watch whore and still am to some extent so hanging on to both of them for now.

Mad thinker - you are correct. That jacket is too short for you.

New guy - I just picked up that same belt from j crew to wear during the spring and summer.

Comment

yes sry typed the wrong model. Still want it!

Comment

Working...
                                X