• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sigtweed Corduroy View Post
    From yesterday....it was hot in LA

Shirt and Jeans: Paper, Denim, and Cloth
    Shoes: Vans

Oops, forgot to tag. What color are the Vans?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
      Yoyorobbo - it probably is a bit nautical themed because my wife likes nautical for some reason. I think she's always secretly wanted to own a boat and go sailing around the world.
      LOL! Well, in that case you better stop buying stuff and start saving for that boat! Tough call. Ha! - Oh, and I meant no negativity with the nautical comment, just to be clear. I think it totally works, and I go white with navy all the time, too, in the Summer especially.

@pratyk: That whole outfit rocks, but I keep checking out that canvas bag. Gotta get me a new daily/laptop bag. I've been eyeing the J&M 1850 waxed canvas one, but damn... expensive!

@Sigtweed: Thanks for the info on the PD&C gear. I've never even tried any of them on in the stores (Marshalls/TJM), but I did kinda figure the quality must be pretty low, based solely on the current prices. Sounds like you made out by snagging them before that decline. Nice.

@MarkB: Regarding those BBQ pic shorts, are they maroon(-ish)? If so, I dig them even more so. Don't see that very often, at least it doesn't seem like it. Cool.

@bjmcgeever: Looking very sharp, man. Only thing I don't get is the footwear choice. Don't get me wrong, I think those boots are THE JAM, but personally I bet you have some that might work better with the rest of your getup there. Maybe it's their toe-shape, or maybe the casualness of the suede, dunno. Ankle boots can certainly work with a suit, but I think they'd work better if they were a darker leather variety. Again, only my opinion, from a single solitary shot, but thought I'd give my feedback. Do with it what you will. Otherwise, AWESOME, super clean look. That tie, in particular is badass!

@DerekH: Looking smooth, dude. Those monks are sweet! Was that the wedding where you were concerned about the shoes because of a beach/outdoor setting? Can't recall. Maybe I should go re-read the original post. Regardless, personally the socks are a touch too much "pop" for *me*. Many gents in this community rock that look, with a suit too - I just usually go more traditional with socks, when I'm suited-up. More casual looks? Sure thing. Again, just *me*. Oh, and that tie is the bomb too. Nice! Sounds like you had a great time - blurry pics tell the real story - LOL!

Comment

• Super nice day out again around here. Yes! - I felt the strong urge to go "sockless & loafered" again today, but wanted desperately to audition my *newly-thrifted* Aldens. $9? Uhm.... okayyyy... sure!

Polo: Lacoste (thrifted)
        Belt: Timberland
        Chinos: BR
        Socks: BRF
        Shoes: Alden (thrifted - score!)
        Watch: Orient
        Fragrance: Lacoste

Question, fellas: What's your take on the *tucked-in* polo look? I like the more casual feel of it untucked, generally - especially casually in the Spring/Summer - but often times, for wear at the office, I tuck (WODER!). Does it look silly/stuffy or is it OK? Feels cleaner, more put-together to me in this case, but I'm open for opinions, be they good or bad - I mean, "positive or negative." LOL

Comment

• @robbo - Thanks for the compliments. I'm undecided on the Malverns with a suit as well. I'd seen shots around the interwebz of suede chukkas + suits before, but I'd yet try it myself. The look better from a normal (not straight-down) angle, but I think you're right. They might work better with a more casual suit.

Comment

• Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
            @DerekH: Looking smooth, dude. Those monks are sweet! Was that the wedding where you were concerned about the shoes because of a beach/outdoor setting? Can't recall. Maybe I should go re-read the original post. Regardless, personally the socks are a touch too much "pop" for *me*. Many gents in this community rock that look, with a suit too - I just usually go more traditional with socks, when I'm suited-up. More casual looks? Sure thing. Again, just *me*. Oh, and that tie is the bomb too. Nice! Sounds like you had a great time - blurry pics tell the real story - LOL!
            Yeah, same wedding w/the blue suit. Got a few comments on the double monks (should have probably snapped a pic of them where you could see the straps, alas). I like to do the crazy sock trend for the weddings I go since I couldn't get away with it at work. I toyed with the idea of going sockless, too, might do a similar combo with that suit at a shindig in July.

Comment

• Originally posted by dackman View Post
              Oops, forgot to tag. What color are the Vans?
              dack, they are the Era 59 CA in princess blue (princess blue for a princess!) I got 'em on Piperlime but they can be had elsewhere also.
              "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Looking good, guys. BJ, nice getup.

It's unseasonably cold, so I packed away most of my cold weather sportcoats. I'm wearing this one over and over until it warms up... Or I get sick of it.

Comment

• @yoyo-Yep, the shorts are maroon (or burgundy, not really sure). My wife bought them for me from gap last summer IIRC. Not the typical heavy chino, but a nice twill (I'm guessing here, I know zilch about fabrics), which is perfect for the stupid hot temps we have already.

Re: "the tuck" I have seen it done well both ways. I usually leave them untucked, unless I'm playing golf. I'm on the fence about your getup to be honest. I feel like something is off. Maybe the shade of the shoes/belt? Can't really put my finger on it at the moment. I think I would've gone with a button up w/ the sleeves rolled with those pants/shoes or shorts/tennys (or loafers) with that shirt. Just my thoughts.
                  Last edited by MarkB; May 6th, 2013, 05:15 PM.
                  Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkB View Post
                    @yoyo-Yep, the shorts are maroon (or burgundy, not really sure). My wife bought them for me from gap last summer IIRC. Not the typical heavy chino, but a nice twill (I'm guessing here, I know zilch about fabrics), which is perfect for the stupid hot temps we have already.

Re: "the tuck" I have seen it done well both ways. I usually leave them untucked, unless I'm playing golf. I'm on the fence about your getup to be honest. I feel like something is off. Maybe the shade of the shoes/belt? Can't really put my finger on it at the moment. I think I would've gone with a button up w/ the sleeves rolled with those pants/shoes or shorts/tennys (or loafers) with that shirt. Just my thoughts.
                    Cool. Maroon or burgundy - Regardless, they're cool.

And I agree with your take on my getup. I really forced the shoes into the gig today. LOL - I thrifted them on Friday's drive home from work. Was immediately elated! Got to cleaning, conditioning and polishing them during the weekend, and simply *had* to wear them first chance this week. It was "a moral imperative!"

But yeah, I agree; both other options that you suggested would have made for a more congruent look. Had I not just snagged the shoes and been all giddy about them, I would most likely have gone with some loafers, drivers or maybe even boat shoes; sockless. I try *not* to wear "tennis shoes" to work, but I certainly have on certain occasion, so they weren't totally out of the running either.

Thanks for the honest opinion, bud. I appreciate the feedback!

Comment

• GAP shirt, GAP jacket, Lands' End tie, Levi's jeans, J&M bucks.
                      Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                        Suited up today. Was gonna go tieless, but once I put it all together, it needed a tie.
                        Shoes: AE Malvern
                        I like the suit, shirt, and tie, but I'm not sold on the shoes or the square. You really look good in that suit.

DerekH, looking slick.

Cologne guy, I like the casual look. Those are gorgeous shoes.

BenR, The camera perspective makes me feel like a bit of food that's about to be devoured.

Comment

• Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                          BenR, The camera perspective makes me feel like a bit of food that's about to be devoured.
                          That's what I was going for.

OM NOM NOM.

Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                            I like the suit, shirt, and tie, but I'm not sold on the shoes or the square. You really look good in that suit.
                            Thanks! And I agree. My square collection is rather limited

Comment

• Urban Cowboy

Shirt - Vintage cowboy thrifted
                              Jeans - Gap
                              Shoes - Vans Sk8 Hi

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• I'm swooning over this jacket, BenR...the second GAP runs another 35% or 40% off, it's going down! Love the look, by the way!
                                Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

GAP shirt, GAP jacket, Lands' End tie, Levi's jeans, J&M bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X