Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@BB - good shirt & tie combo. Pink & blue are always a good combination. I especially like the tie. Is it linen? Cotton?

@farhad - the link to your pic isn't working.

Comment

@BB--I like the color combo, but that knot looks really small for that collar, at least to me. Other than that, I really like it.
      Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

BJ: it says 100% cotton, but it feels like a linen blend. Very slubby and textured -- and somewhat stiff. Unusual for cotton.

MarkB, you're right. I wonder of anyone else has this problem -- I'm big and tall (6ft3 and 230lbs) and these slim ties seem too short for a complicated knot, but when I do a four in hand it's too small. I know I need to get "long" ties, but those don't show up at the thrift stores often! Is there a knot anyone knows that can help add bulk without much length?

Farhad, looking good. Fit is excellent from what I can see. Those Havilands are nice!

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
          Is there a knot anyone knows that can help add bulk without much length?
          BB, are you going around once or twice with your 4-in-hand? If only once, try one more time around. It can add girth (WODER!) to the knot without seemingly much change in length (again, WODER!).

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
            MarkB, you're right. I wonder of anyone else has this problem -- I'm big and tall (6ft3 and 230lbs) and these slim ties seem too short for a complicated knot, but when I do a four in hand it's too small. I know I need to get "long" ties, but those don't show up at the thrift stores often! Is there a knot anyone knows that can help add bulk without much length?
            Try a Nicky knot or Kelvin knot. As Yoyo said, you can also add extra wraps with most knots to get a little more substance.
            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
              Try a Nicky knot or Kelvin knot. As Yoyo said, you can also add extra wraps with most knots to get a little more substance.
              Thanks for the tips guys -- look forward to better knots in the future...

Comment

@Matt: Whoo hoo! Trucker jackets unite!

Not much gong on today except reading in the library. So going with a bum fit thrift fit:

Calvin Klein henley: $2.00
                JC chinos: $4.00
                JM loafers: $3.50

Comment

Basically a variation on yesterday:

JCF shirt, Sierra Trading Post belt, LEC linen shorts, Timberland mocs, Hamilton watch.
                  Ben

Comment

@Lesser--I grabbed that shirt a couple months back myself. Looks good with those shorts.

@Acoustic--I have definitely been using your "bum" outfits for ideas for my casual looks. Library on a Sunday? I'm pretty sure that will be my life as well come August.
                    Last edited by MarkB; April 28, 2013, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB View Post
                      @Acoustic--I have definitely been using your "bum" outfits for ideas for my casual looks. Library on a Sunday? I'm pretty sure that will be my life as well come August.
                      OoOo Startin Grad school? What kind?

Comment

Was raining out today so I finally got to use my new Davek umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
                          OoOo Startin Grad school? What kind?
                          I'll be starting med school in the fall. It's one of those excited to start/what the hell did I just do? times for me right now.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB View Post
                            I'll be starting med school in the fall. It's one of those excited to start/what the hell did I just do? times for me right now.
                            Boy do I know that feeling. Just finishing the first year of a PhD program. While it is finally nice outside up here in snowy MN (almost 80 today!), I spent the day in my pajamas glued to a computer screen, writing. WOOOO. Good luck, sir.
                            "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Thanks for the feedback on the button-up/shorts combo, guys. I think you're right, Ben - it felt a little off balance and could probably do with a change of belt in the future (I like that yellow Sierra Trading Post belt you've posted). I've never been much of a shorts wearer, but now that I'm out here in CA it's a necessity if I'm out and about in the sun for the majority of the day so it's something I ought to get down. I thought about picking up a pair of the JCF summer weight chinos this morning but was bummed to find out there weren't available in a slim fit like their regular chinos.

Anyway, two new purchases:

Polo: JCF
                              Shorts: JCF Oxford Cloth
                              Shoes: Macys
                              Watch: Seiko

And a random aside: Grats on making the jump to Med school, Mark! Like quite a few of us here I'm also in a grad program (finishing my second year) and can definitely relate to that crazy transition period- good luck with everything! Are you making a big move cross-country or anything of the sort?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric F View Post
                                Thanks for the feedback on the button-up/shorts combo, guys. I think you're right, Ben - it felt a little off balance and could probably do with a change of belt in the future (I like that yellow Sierra Trading Post belt you've posted). I've never been much of a shorts wearer, but now that I'm out here in CA it's a necessity if I'm out and about in the sun for the majority of the day so it's something I ought to get down. I thought about picking up a pair of the JCF summer weight chinos this morning but was bummed to find out there weren't available in a slim fit like their regular chinos.

Anyway, two new purchases:

Polo: JCF
                                Shorts: JCF Oxford Cloth
                                Shoes: Macys
                                Watch: Seiko

And a random aside: Grats on making the jump to Med school, Mark! Like quite a few of us here I'm also in a grad program (finishing my second year) and can definitely relate to that crazy transition period- good luck with everything! Are you making a big move cross-country or anything of the sort?
                                Thanks. As a matter of fact we are. My wife, two kids, and I are moving from FL to the Midwest in June. This past winter I was trying to gather as much info regarding cold weather gear as I could. Thanks to everyone here who responded to those posts as well. I have been able to stock up on necessities through sites like Sierra Trading Post and a couple others (thanks BenR). The only thing that I know I will need now is a pair of boots and I think I have them picked out. Next winter is definitely gonna be a rude awakening still I'm sure though. Ok, I've taken up enough space in WIWT. Back to the outfits gents!!

Oh yeah. I picked up a pair of the summer weight chinos in that pale blue color. The waist runs kinda big, so I sized down and they are not baggy by any means. I have decent sized quads though (25"), so you may get a different result. I'll have to compare them to the slim GTH pants I recently bought from there.
                                Last edited by MarkB; April 28, 2013, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X