Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@andrewlcraft: First off, welcome to WIWT! Don't be shy - everyone wears different stuff, so don't be afraid to show your choices. There are some sages here, for sure, so there is always something to learn and/or incorporate into your own daily style.

That being said, I also think that *sometimes* folks go a little overboard on the negative descriptors. Although your loafers may not fit the exact specs desired by some, I don't think they are ready for the trash bin quite yet. They are really not *that* bad, and as pointed out by fash1on above, the contrast stitching is nice, as well as the color.

As far as the other (IMO, *overly*) negative comments on them, I wouldn't sweat it too much. You noted that they were placeholders until you get something nicer, and seriously, they're *loafers*, and you're wearing them in a very casual manner. I mean, hell, boat shoes don't have a very modern toe shape, but they are a popular option for many gents. Ya dig?

Anyway, best of luck on your wardrobe tune-ups. It sounds like you have a plan of sorts, and are probably learning some tips and ideas from some of the very dapper dudes on this forum. I like to think that I'm learning from them a little bit more every day. A little upgrade can go a long way, especially in the eyes of some of the slouchy general public. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
      Peacocking.

I should add, though, that the solid shirt/tie thing makes it much less bold.

J Crew Seersucker suit
      Thrifted shirt
      Tie Bar tie
      AE Elgins
      I like the bag! What is it?

Comment

Looks like a Saddleback. Also RiveDroit those Neumora pics make it very tempting. I just wonder how much use I'll get out of them in a few months because I don't think of them as clinic-appropriate shoes (hospital clinic). Thoughts from everyone on this observation? I feel like they'd be way too flashy in a hospital, and honestly until I finish residency the majority of my life is going to be spent with patients.

Comment

Yeah, it's a Saddleback large briefcase. Costs more than others, but it really is exceptional quality. Built like a tank.

Printyra, I actually like that loud combination a lot. Have to be wearing it to the right place, though.

GregS, looking good as always.

Andrew, welcome to threads, and congrats on your weight loss. Looking good. You know, I think the shoes are fine for now. They look better than 90% of the shoes out there, at least. Over time you can save up and pick out something more sleek, but other things might be more pressing.

RiveDroit, the shoes look killer. I'm warming up to monks.

Mikey, for some reason I like the belt and shirt both being white. I think with any other color besides black that would look really off. But it works.

Yoyorobbo, thanks for being the nice and welcoming member of the board. I nominate you head of hospitality. Not kidding -- thanks.

Comment

AENYC, can't see your pictures.

Comment

AENYC, can't see your pictures.
              Same.
              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                Thanks fellas. Bruschetta, I am not sure what pants they are as I purchased them from one of our former resident thrifters. They are wool and say they are made of Italian fabric. They are easily the nicest wool pants I own. Half-lined, very comfortable. Miles above the wool ones I have from J Crew Factory. Strangely enough, however, the quality of the LEC ones I posted in the same set of pictures are closer in quality than the JCF.
                Fyi. Most jcrew items have a tag with the catalog number and you can enter the number in the search bar at www.jcrew.com and get the deets on it. It also will give the season and year. Eg. SP13 = spring 2013

Comment

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words and tips. I'd say a good portion of the wardrobe overhaul is complete for basics, and from here on out its going to be style and size refinement and acquiring interesting pieces.

It's funny the shoes got so much attention. They were at the goodwill, NWT, with a whole load of other Merona stuff. $7.99 no brainer for this spring & summer.

I think the shirt looks bigger in the pic than real life, but the shoulder seams are just past the bone on each side. Next time in store I'll be trying on a medium, but they can get pretty tight across my back.

I'll try and make more time for wiwt In the future!

Comment

Been awhile since I've posted. 80's and sunshine yesterday, but rainy and cold today. Here's what I had layered on underneath my trusty Bedale this morning.

sweater - Merona
                    shirt - JCF
                    jeans - JCrew
                    watch - Swiss Army (whoops...dates off on the watch)
                    boots - Brooks Brothers

Comment

Running errands today and it was 80+ by 8am.

Shirt: Target (One Star)
                      Shorts: Gap
                      Belt: JCF
                      Shoes: Pro-Keds
                      Watch: Citizen
                      Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Originally posted by Lukeduke View Post
                        watch - Swiss Army (whoops...dates off on the watch)
                        I love the watch, pre-Victorinox branding, too. Is that an old Air Boss?

Comment

For anyone near Boston, I wish you all well. You're in everybody's thoughts and prayers.

MarkB, I like the belt. And LukeDuke, nice boots. Do you know who makes them for Brooks Brothers?

This is a real budget outfit. But is it too much altogether?

Tommy Hilfiger shirt (thrifted)
                          TieBar Tie
                          Adolfo chambray jacket (web clearance)
                          thrifted linen pants
                          Stafford wingtips

Comment

Originally posted by DerekH View Post
                            I love the watch, pre-Victorinox branding, too. Is that an old Air Boss?
                            Thanks, Derek. It's actually an old Base Camp model. I picked it up cheap at a Saks Off Fifth years ago. I wasn't a fan of the rubber watchband that came with it so I contacted Victorinox and they were able to track down the leather band that fits it. It really has served me well over the years.

Comment

And LukeDuke, nice boots. Do you know who makes them for Brooks Brothers?
                              That's a good question. I picked these up on sale a couple of years ago in store for around $150...impulse buy really. I liked the look of the moc toe and walnut-ish color. They're made in Mexico, but are goodyear welted. The leather does not seem like the best quality, but they've held up pretty well. I typically rotate these in with my Beckmans in the Fall/Winter, which is what the weather is like here today.

Comment

For anyone near Boston, I wish you all well. You're in everybody's thoughts and prayers.

MarkB, I like the belt. And LukeDuke, nice boots. Do you know who makes them for Brooks Brothers?

This is a real budget outfit. But is it too much altogether?

Tommy Hilfiger shirt (thrifted)
                                TieBar Tie
                                Adolfo chambray jacket (web clearance)
                                thrifted linen pants
                                Stafford wingtips
                                Thanks. I don't think the outfit is too much. I think the solid jacket/pants/tie keeps everything in check, IMO.
                                Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Working...
                                X