Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also Yoyorobbo, I'm liking that vest. I might have to check it out next time I see a sale. What size is yours?

Pretty simple today. Started out as the one on the left but it got warmer as the day went on and ended up as the one on the right. The thing I'm most proud of is how much I paid for everything.

shirt - Uniqlo - $20
    sweater - Lands End - $20
    pants - JCrew Factory - $30-$35
    shoes - AE Malvern - $125

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
      @MaxMan: Dig those skully socks! Target, right? - I've been tempted to grab a few of those crazy patterned ones, but always seem to stick with stripes or argyle with their brands. Maybe I should loosen-up a bit, eh? LOL

It's back to damn-chilly *and* wet around here (MI), so layered up the raincoat/field-jacket hybrid with this vest from JCF's recent 50% off sale. Gotz'ta stay warm! Almost rethought the black shoe choice too, as it seemed a little stark of a contrast against the lighter grey chinos, but I figured with the black vest, black belt and the b&w gingham, it might be OK. Whadd'ya think?

Vest: JCF quilted
      Shirt: BR soft-wash
      Belt: BR leather
      Chinos: Dockers modern khaki
      Socks: Target Mossimo
      Shoes: Stafford Ashford
      Watch: Bulova 96B104
      Fragrance: Creed Green Irish Tweed (get here Spring - GET HERE!)
      Good look.

I love those BR ginghams. I have a couple myself.

Comment

@yoyo - Great use of the JCF vest; I really wanted to pick that up last fall, but was trying to play the code game.

Comment

@Acoustic: Yeah, the Ashfords, while not my favorite of the Stafford line, are still very solid; especially for the dough.

@MarkB: Agreed. A year ago, I probably wouldn't have even tried them. But now, I really dig them.

@Vicious: Thanks, man. I felt better with the black shoes call as the day progressed. Also on the vest: it's really nice! Especially half off. Mine is a size M. I usually wear size L in shirts, jackets, etc, but for the few vests that I have, I like them very close-fitting. As a layering device, I want them to bulk as little as possible, and this one is very snug when zipped up. otherwise I wear them open like in my pic there.

@Mimbo: Thanks, bud. Yeah, I really like the BR soft-wash shirts. So comfortable!

@Jeff: Thanks! It really jumped out at me during the recent 50% off sale. I wish they had it in navy or brown too.

Comment

@foodie - that thrifted outfit looks like a million bucks, especially like the cardigan!
            @yoyo - like that quilted vest a lot, shirt is nice as well.
            @BlackDog - I think the tie does not go with the rest of the outfit, it seems too polished to me to wear with such a midwest inspired look, or does it have a texture up close?

And here is my denim jacket:

Any comments on fit? I feel the chest and shoulders are perfect, the arms seem a bit too billowy, might have to get them slimmed down.
            And the accessories:

Jacket - Next
            POW Pants - Topman
            Shirt - Tommy Hilfiger
            Socks - Primark
            Shoes - Debenhams store brand

Comment

And an extra from yesterday's store crawl in Edinburgh with my girl, she suffered through in the all menswear shops like a champ:

My god there are nice shops in Edinburgh! Thomas Pink (my favorite shirtmaker, even though they make them in Asia now), TM Lewin, Charles Tyrwhitt, Hackett and some local tailors, also Church's, got a look at their highest range double monk strap, was nice, but man it was pricey.

Comment

@yoyo How do you like that Bulova? I was looking for a cheap, simple dress watch that I can rely on until I'm willing to spend a lot of money on a high quality one down the line. That one initially caught my eye, but I got roped in by the look of the Skagen 858XLSLDN (blue hands). Of course, now I can't find that one anywhere so I'm interested in hearing whether you think the Bulova is worth it.
                Last edited by kai; April 13, 2013, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Sasco View Post
                  @BlackDog - I think the tie does not go with the rest of the outfit, it seems too polished to me to wear with such a midwest inspired look, or does it have a texture up close?
                  I don't own any solid satin ties... this one's got some texture to it, almost a faux grenadine.

Very much like this:

Last edited by LesserBlackDog; April 13, 2013, 12:11 PM.
                  Ben

Comment

@MattSasco that layering there is fantastic, really like that look man

@Yoyo really like this as well, been meaning to get that Bulova watch since I saw my friend's a couple months back

Wore this to a banquet we had for graduating seniors at school last night:

Blazer: Merona Kensington
                    Shirt: Alfani Slim Fit from Macys
                    Pants: GAP lived in chinos (faint light blue)
                    Shoes: JCP Stafford Boots
                    Watch: Skagen

Comment

@BlackDog - My bad then, that is a very nice tie btw!

Comment

Originally posted by kai View Post
                        @yoyo How do you like that Bulova? I was looking for a cheap, simple dress watch that I can rely on until I'm willing to spend a lot of money on a high quality one down the line. That one initially caught my eye, but I got roped in by the look of the Skagen 858XLSLDN (blue hands). Of course, now I can't find that one anywhere so I'm interested in hearing whether you think the Bulova is worth it.
                        I *really* like it! Certainly worth the price, IMO. To me it looks all class, even on a budget. Some folks don't dig the thin (not width, but depth? - thickness, yeah that's the ticket), but I think it works well with the lightweight, minimalistic watch.

I also have a Skagen, similar to the blue hand one you mention, Mine is the 958XLSL, the one referred to by some as the *Driver*-esque model, as it has some similarities, in look only, to the one Gosling wears in the film. Here's a WIWT link with that watch, if you're interested:

http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...l=1#post108385

I find I use them both in different situations. I love them both. The Skagen, to me, is much more casual, but the Bulova, although dressier, can be worn casually too. You could also pick up a brown strap and swap it out on the Bulova for a different look, when so desired.

Comment

@Pitt: Thanks, man. I missed your comment before I replied to kai a little earlier. But yeah, I really like the Bulova, and highly recommend it. I don't wear it that often, mainly because I don't wear black shoes that frequently. I may do as I advised kai, and swap out the black band for a brown one - that way it may see more wrist time. Although, it is nice having a go-to black leather dress watch I'm the stable. IMO, it's a great watch for the cash. Looks like a much pricier timepiece to me.

They (Bulova) do have a brown leather strap model that is similar, but with a mix of silver and rose gold looks for the metals. It's pretty sweet too. I could use a rose gold option in my set, so maybe...

Oh, and I'm really diggin your look there, bud. Very crisp and clean! The chinos look cool. Are those the newer Gap ones that I'm seeing in the mags as of late?

Comment

Posting these mainly to show off the Robert Talbott knit wool tie I picked up from Nordstrom Rack. It's the only knit tie I've ever encountered that actually ties a decent knot - not too huge or bulbous. MSRP is an absurd $150.

Bonobos linen jacket, LEC OCBD, Robert Talbott tie, Macy's tiebar, MT Silversmiths buckle, Target pants, Chippewa boots
                            Ben

Comment

@LesserBlackDog Totally dug the vest look from before, but I don't think the cargo pants work in this most recent 'fit. Everything is so streamlined and classic in the look and then... bulky cargo pants? under a Western-style belt buckle? and a linen blazer? The cargo pants are the wrong kind of rugged for the rest of the outfit, IMO. But everything else hits the rugged/refined sweet spot dead on.

Comment

Trying out my first TM Lewin shirt. I really like the pattern and the fit, but I'm not in love with the collar or the fabric.

Blazer: BR
                                Shirt: TM Lewin
                                Tie: Knottery
                                Pants: Lands End
                                Shoes: AE Van Ness in burgundy

Comment

Working...
                                X