This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AENYC View Post
    @matt - great outfit, what color are those pants?

@maxman - way to rock the cardigan and jacket...what's the material on the cardigan?
    Thanks man, i think its 100% cotton. but it feels extremely soft and drapes wonderfully.
    "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the responses re my suit a page or so ago. I just got it back from the tailor and he told me there wasn't anything he could do with respect to taking in the sleeves without making everything look really creased? I think he was taking it in at the seams on the sleeves and something about the way it would cut would have caused it to crease just when hanging. I thought it was a little weird though and may not take suits to him in the future.

Additionally, regarding the pants, the suit came as a matched pair offline from suit supply and would not let me change the sizing on the pants (just checked again to make sure I didn't miss any option somewhere and I didn't as far as I can tell). As such, they came absolutely far too large and my tailor had to take them in and basically remake the waist/seat to have a chance of fitting. Guess he didn't do a great job. A little stuck with it now though as I'm flying out for the wedding tomorrow and I doubt he could fix it overnight (but I'm darn well going to try).

Something had been bugging me about the way that it fit and I just couldn't put my finger exactly on it to tell him what to change. You guys nailed it though, it's the waist/seat of the pants and the sleeves.
        Last edited by NewGuy; April 10, 2013, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NewGuy View Post
          Thanks for the responses re my suit a page or so ago. I just got it back from the tailor and he told me there wasn't anything he could do with respect to taking in the sleeves without making everything look really creased? I think he was taking it in at the seams on the sleeves and something about the way it would cut would have caused it to crease just when hanging. I thought it was a little weird though and may not take suits to him in the future.

Additionally, regarding the pants, the suit came as a matched pair offline from suit supply and would not let me change the sizing on the pants (just checked again to make sure I didn't miss any option somewhere and I didn't as far as I can tell). As such, they came absolutely far too large and my tailor had to take them in and basically remake the waist/seat to have a chance of fitting. Guess he didn't do a great job. A little stuck with it now though as I'm flying out for the wedding tomorrow and I doubt he could fix it overnight (but I'm darn well going to try).

Something had been bugging me about the way that it fit and I just couldn't put my finger exactly on it to tell him what to change. You guys nailed it though, it's the waist of the pants and the sleeves.
          He needs to lift the seat up a little bit. He must of left some excess fabric in the rear somewhere
          "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
          I>0<I

Comment

Originally posted by NewGuy View Post

Something had been bugging me about the way that it fit and I just couldn't put my finger exactly on it to tell him what to change. You guys nailed it though, it's the waist of the pants and the sleeves.
            Wear french cuffs and the sleeve opening will look MUCH better, I honestly think you could have sized down which would have helped drastically with the fit of everything along with reducing tailoring needs; I got in a lovely fight with a brooks brothers sales associate when I was helping friend buy suit, she wanted him in a 42R which would have required the waist being taken in and the sleeves shortened along with the shoulders I didn't like the fit of.

40R...he had the chest let out and pants taken in, perfect fit..cost $90. Other suit probably would have been pants, sleeves, waist, chest.
            Last edited by shad0w4life; April 10, 2013, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately, don't own any and on a bit of a budget (grad student) so I'm stuck with something I've already got.

I am going to try to get him to fix up the seat today though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake101 View Post
                I like the look but the jacket is tight (notice the pronounced 'X'). The jacket length is short but OK, however with something short I think you'd also want to shorten the sleeves a tad. You can't see any shirt cuff where your arm is at rest. Probably 1/4" is sufficient, too much and you run the risk of the jacket looking entirely too small given it's length and tightness.

Unless the shoulders would have been off I would have gone a size larger and shortened the sleeves.

Inseam on the pants looks spot on.

Comment

Appreciate the feedback, although i have different opinions then you. I wear the blazer knowing full well how some people feel about it, but I personally like the way it looks and generally wear it open anyway. Also, I feel that the cuffs are a mite too long. cheers.

Comment

Dressed for a funeral today (work, not personal).

Suit: JCF Thompson
                    Shirt: Neiman Marcus
                    Tie: Calibrate (Nordstrom)
                    Socks: BR
                    Shoes: AE McAllister

Comment

I have a question about BJ's outfit. Is it appropriate to wear a pocket square when attending a funeral? Since you're really supposed to be there to mourn and show respect and not show how stylish you are with splashes of color that stand out.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                        I have a question about BJ's outfit. Is it appropriate to wear a pocket square when attending a funeral? Since you're really supposed to be there to mourn and show respect and not show how stylish you are with splashes of color that stand out.
                        That's why I went with a solid white cotton square - simple. I live in a small city (140,000+) in Texas composed mostly of college students and academics, very few of whom are style-conscious. The things I've seen at funerals (I've worked at least 10 in the past year) never cease to blow my mind: polos, jeans, shiny colorful Dillards ties, wrinkled khakis, navy blazers with brass buttons, and on the list goes. Thus, I feel wearing a dark suit, white shirt, dark (usually black) tie, and black shoes is much more respectful than anything else I've seen people wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                          I think a simple white square, done the way BJ has, is appropriate. Anything more, in terms of color and fold, would probably be too much.

Plus you have the added practical benefit of being able to offer the square as a handkerchief, assuming you don't mind not getting it back.

I'm not a pocket square person myself so I wouldn't wear one to a funeral to begin with, but that's just my own proclivity.
                          Ben

Comment

@Acoustic: Thanks man. Yeah, I thought Spring had sprung, but alas today is a step or two backwards. Cold *and* rainy. Ugh. Time to layer again, under the rain-coat/field-jacket hybrid. On your ON cardigan getup, it looks like the sweater is a tad long, no? It actually looks like a "long" or a "tall" size on ya. It still looks good, just noting a little bit of a size issue... maybe. Regardless, I dig the whole deal - the colors look good to me, and digging those Frye wingers.

@Redford: That is AWESOME! LOL - But you should know by now that black pants are a satorial sin around these parts. Black riding helmets too, I'd presume. Kidding, of course. You look pretty [email protected]$$ in that getup, man.

@Shomas: That BR birdseye fits you perfectly. And those AE double-monks are still the jam. Personally, I think a different watch might work better (or at least a brown leather strap on the weekender - is that a navy strap? - tough to see from where I'm at - if so, then I see what you did there), but that's me simply nitpicking like a ninny, so I'll quit. All in all, the whole deal is nails! Nice.

@MarkB: Haha! I feel ya, man. Sometimes I go all "50 shades of x" too. Sometimes on accident, other times purposefully. Looks good to me, bud! But what about that pocket square? Is that your wardrobe's one act of defiance? Orange (or is that red?) & green/olive? Hmnnn...

@Vicious: Lovin' the print & colors on that shirt. A couple days earlier and I'd think you were a Meeeeeeeechigan fan. And of course, that Omega jams.

@LukeDuke: Diggin' those suede Players. Niiiiiiiiiice. And which Stafford pants are those? The 100% wool ones? Saw those at JCP this past weekend marked wayyyyyy down; just not in my size.

@greg_s: Thanks, bud! I seem to wear the Chronospeed quite a little bit. You guys might get sick of seeing it in my WIWTs. But it just works with several of my footwear options, so I often roll with it.

@technojinn: What can I say that hasn't been already said? Awesome outfit and a fantastic fit! You actually inspired me (well you and Don Draper - caught up on last season's eps last night) to dig a little deeper in the armoire this morning and don one of my few cardigans today. I'm not pulling it off as good as you are there, though. But sometimes a quick perusal through the WIWT pics here give a couple nice ideas or even simple reminders for nice outfit choices and/or combos. Again, really nice getup there, man!

@NewGuy: That oldschool buried-(in the closet)-treasure blazer *is* sweet! Nice find. What watch are you sportin' in that pic? I'm always curious regarding folks' timepiece choices.

@Matt: Your "simple" is very smooooooooove. What pants are those? Really nice fit on you.

@MaxMax: Now *that's* some serious dapperness. Lookin' great, man. Love those suede moc boots too. Cool!

@Jake101: I think the thing with the Kensington and you is just that you are probably more buff(?) - stocky - built - whatever - you know what I mean - than most other who I have seen post wearing it here. You could have worse problems. LOL - Makes me realize just how badly I need to dust off the ol' dumbells. Man, am I out of shape. Anyway, I think the navy Kensignton looks better on you than the tan one - I think that's true with most folks, actually. IMO your look in this pic is really, really solid. What shoes you rockin' there? Blue suedes?

@bjmcgeever: Not sure what a work funeral means (you work for a funeral home? or someone from work passed?). In case it was someone you knew, even simply from work, I'm very sorry for your loss. You look very respectful regardless of the reason for your attendance. Fit looks good, and I really like that tie, especially the pattern.

WSHEW!!! The fellas have been busy lately. Did I miss anyone there? Great fits and choices all around, guys!
                            Last edited by yoyorobbo; April 10, 2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                              @bjmcgeever: Not sure what a work funeral means (you work for a funeral home? or someone from work passed?). In case it was someone you knew, even simply from work, I'm very sorry for your loss. You look very respectful regardless of the reason for your attendance. Fit looks good, and I really like that tie, especially the pattern.
                              I'm in charge of the A/V for a church, so I work (run sound, slides, etc.) for events like funerals regularly. I'm a big fan of the tie too. It was a steal - something like $10 from Nordstrom Rack.

Comment

Oh ok. I thought it was a co-worker that died. Yeah, I just wasn't sure what the protocol is with something like that. And like Ben pointed out - I wouldn't wear a pocket square simply because I wouldn't want to hand it out to someone who's crying.
                                Last edited by Vicious49; April 10, 2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X