This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
    So are those the *shorter*-shorts you were talking about in the shorts thread, Lesser? A tad too short for me, I think; but obviously to each his own.

And yeah, if you're gonna rock those already then it's high time to get a little color. I feel ya, man. I was auditioning some new summer kicks, rolled my chinos way up to get a good idea of the look of the shoes on me, and noticed my ultra-white calves, shins and ankles. WODER! I'm not big on *tanning* just to tan - too much of a health risk that I'm beginning to fear in my adult life. But of course I do get *some* color during the Summer. Just be careful, dude; take it slow and easy; that's all I mean.
    Haha, worry not... I do very little "tanning," deliberate or otherwise. I burn easily, tan slowly, and generally slather myself fully in SPF 45 sunscreen if there's a potential that I will be in the sun for more than 15 minutes. I also had a scare with melanoma last year, which was probably unrelated to sun exposure, but still did a good job reinforcing the notion that not dying of skin cancer is a much higher priority than having a "healthy" glow.

Plus I plan to age beautifully and not turn into a wrinkled little chestnut by 45.
    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
      Women and children would run screaming if I attempted this outfit. Do you shave your arms and legs?

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
        Women and children would run screaming if I attempted this outfit. Do you shave your arms and legs?
        No... I'm actually pretty hairy, especially my legs, but also very blond. Evidently my arm and leg hair doesn't show up well in photos, especially ones of this poor quality.
        Ben

Comment

No... I'm actually pretty hairy, especially my legs, but also very blond. Evidently my arm and leg hair doesn't show up well in photos, especially ones of this poor quality.
          BenR you've got nice legs!

Comment

@Vicious - That cardigan rocks!

Long time no post, so now will post a bunch.

And this picture I shot at Walker Slater in Edinburgh, look at those bold checks on those sport coats, amazing, but sadly way out of my price range.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
              Jake, I personally like the fit of the Claiborne on you better. Maybe it's the lower front pockets on the Kensington - dunno. I struggled with the beige one on me as well - maybe it was those pockets too. I know that it seemed to wash me out, colorwise - the navy works way better on me.

It may also be your build. The Kensington is looking much tighter, in the lower half, especially; and shorter too. Not saying it looks bad, just that the Claiborne one, to me, simply looks better on you. Just my two gold pieces; take them as you like.
              Jake, I agree with yoyorobbo here. I think the Claiborne just fits your frame better. I can't remember if I've tried this on in-store or not, but after seeing you pic I will probably go back to give it a try.

Comment

Those bold check sport coats are glorious.
                My cocktail videos >

Comment

Me yesterday. Worked from home, so went casual.

vest - JCrew
                  shirt - Lands End tailored fit
                  jeans - JCrew selvedge (Light wash denim I got for my birthday recently. They're a little bit snug right now and need to be broken in some...or maybe I just need to work off a bit of winter weight )
                  watch - Swiss Army
                  shoes - Mark Mcnairy x Bass

Comment

Sweater: Wyatt
                    Shirt: J Crew Factory
                    Jeans: Bonobos
                    Shoes: Florsheim Grey Suede No String Wings

Comment

Woke up late today, literally grabbed the first shirt I saw (thanks again Ian619). I didn't notice that the placket was creased until I got back home from taking the kids to school.

Taking a page out of BenR's playbook today, with the OCBD and shorts. Not sure how I feel about tucking it in, but it is a little long to leave untucked.

The belt is actually dark brown, even though it looks black in the picture.
                      Shirt: JCF
                      Shorts: Merona
                      Shoes: Pro-Keds
                      Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Haha, worry not... I do very little "tanning," deliberate or otherwise. I burn easily, tan slowly, and generally slather myself fully in SPF 45 sunscreen if there's a potential that I will be in the sun for more than 15 minutes. I also had a scare with melanoma last year, which was probably unrelated to sun exposure, but still did a good job reinforcing the notion that not dying of skin cancer is a much higher priority than having a "healthy" glow.
                        Good move(s). I too have learned somewhat recently the very real scare of melanoma. A hometown friend from my college days sadly passed away after a very quick spread of skin cancer. She was so young, with so much more to do and so much more life to live. It was both horribly sad and thankfully eye-opening at the same time. Sounds like you have a good regimen there, Lesser. Smart man.

OK, so here's me today. Not quite *white* jeans. Not quite. Not yet. Not quite yet. Soon, though.

Jacket: BR 3-pocket field w/detachable hood
                        Sweater: BR extra fine merino (freshly *washed* wool - livin' on the edge - Ooooooo...)
                        Shirt: BR soft-wash t-shirt
                        Pants: Levis 501
                        Socks: Cabot & Sons Vermont
                        Boots: J&M Runnell
                        Watch: Skagen 958XLSL
                        Shades: BR Corbin

I experimented with washing/drying/shrinking one of my BR merino wool sweaters. Hand-washed with Woolite, and machine-dried on low for maybe 10 minutes, checking every couple or so, then laid flat. I have to admit I was pretty worried that I might totally hose it up, but it didn't seem to do any noticeable damage. It did cause some increased general snugness (as desired), mostly in the arms, and some in the chest/midsection, which is what I was really after. I guess the length is a little shortened too, another positive outcome. The sleeve length shortened slightly - not as much as I expected and wanted, really.

Negatives?: It took for-damn-ever and it was a little unnerving. It also seemed to create a little shaping issue in the shoulder-seams and some lines (? - wrinkles?) in the trunk section. Both of those problems can sorta be seen in the no-jacket pic part of my collage. They both also seemed to have worked their way out and back to normal as the day has progressed. Cool.

All in all, I think I could live with even further *shrinkage* ("It shrinks?" - "Like a frightened turtle."), once I finally drop these last handful of (ok, 7) lbs. We'll see. Any thoughts/feedback?

Also, how do you guys think a steamer would work on a fine merino wool sweater such as this one? Good? Bad? Ugly?
                        Last edited by yoyorobbo; April 5, 2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

@Matt: glad to see you back! That is a slick tie. Grey blazer's "X" tug looks like it's a little tight tho?
                          @LukeDuke: At home Casual means a collared shirt? I must look like a monster at home compared to you then!
                          @Rive: I think your look would be a little bit better if the shirt was tucked in. Nice shoes tho!
                          @MarkB: Taking a page out of BenR? Where's the leg shot tho!?
                          @yoyo: Great color palette and fit! You might get dinged by having a crew shirt instead of collared shirt underneath a v-neck but I think it's fine. The sweater looks more tailored now from what I remembered. That field jacket looks pretty nice as well.

Being a bum today:

Shirt: Target
                          Jeans: Levi 505
                          Tso Shoes

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
                            @Matt: glad to see you back! That is a slick tie. Grey blazer's "X" tug looks like it's a little tight tho?
                            @LukeDuke: At home Casual means a collared shirt? I must look like a monster at home compared to you then!
                            @Rive: I think your look would be a little bit better if the shirt was tucked in. Nice shoes tho!
                            @yoyo: Great color palette and fit! You might get dinged by having a crew shirt instead of collared shirt underneath a v-neck but I think it's fine. The sweater looks more tailored now from what I remembered. That field jacket looks pretty nice as well.

Being a bum today:

Tso Shoes
                            Haha. Honestly, I don't have a full length mirror in my house right now. We're replacing all of the doors in our house and I havent finished tiling above our master vanity so I literally have that one mirror to use. I don't show quite as much thigh as BenR does (we do have similar complexions though).

Is that a One Star Henley? Are they normally TTS or do you size down. I tried one on and it seemed to run a little big.
                            Last edited by MarkB; April 5, 2013, 09:55 PM.
                            Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post

Being a bum today:

Tso Shoes
                              Lol...to be completely honest, I did have a childbirth class to attend right after work so I did dress for the day with that in mind. Believe me, my typical WFH attire is so beyond casual it is far from WIWT worthy.

BTW, great fit on that henley. Target still carry those?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I have some darker jeans, but I like the fit of those ones a bit better so I usually prefer them.
                                I'm going to Europe for a month, will those Saddle shoes be an alright casual shoe for over there? I wasn't really sure of them, can you wear them with pretty much anything you could wear with boat shoes?

Comment

Working...
                                X