Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm eyeing up a BB ESF that's 14.5 and 34. I could check the fit, but it's not really any cheaper to pay full BB retail than Ratio. I should check their sale stuff. Worth a shot - it might be perfect. My neck measures 14.25". Thanks for the feedback.

The shirt in the pic is an Express Medium, claiming to be 15-15.5, and I can stick a hand under the collar on both sides at the same time!

Comment

• It's days like this I really wish I owned one of these:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_if_XeEEAXGM/S60H7d0m3ZI/AAAAAAAAIZo/7oYoQfJGHc8/s1600/vest2.jpg

Shirt: Carhartt

Tie: Thrifted

Tie bar: Kenneth Cole

Cords: LEC

Boots: Chippewa

Watch: Orient

Ben

Comment

• Ben, are those the slim fit cords? I ordered the straight fit, but they feel really baggy (compared to Levi 501 and GAP straight). I've read some reviews that say the slim fit cords fit more like 511 which are way too skinny for my thighs. Wondering your thoughts

Comment

• Ben: I'm in love with my Hawkings-McGill waistcoat from UO. Totally worth it! The tweed is tough to pair with grey pants but easy with jeans and cords and some chinos. Can wear with or without a tie. With or without a sportcoat. I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Comment

• @ mdwsta4 - No, they're the straight fits. I find LEC's fits a little confusing. I bought a pair of chinos in slim and a pair of cords in straight - the slim chinos taper more, but are actually a little more relaxed through the seat/thigh. I think simple issues of quality control probably account for the wonky sizing.

@ nicholascrawford - Yeah, I'm on the verge of buying Filson's Mackinaw vest. It's pretty pricey but made in the US, and it even got a recommendation from my dad, who is pretty tough on his clothes. (He's a retired Marine infantry officer/carpenter, currently a volunteer firefighter.)

Ben

Comment

• I think the Filson's would suit your sport-casual kind of style well.

Since I wear a uniform and work outside every day, I prefer a polar opposite switch to very formal when I get out of my work clothes.

Sitting in court yesterday (good news - we're adopting our foster kid in two months), I couldn't help but think of you as I studied the atrocious outfits of people streaming by with a handful exception of well suited men.

Comment

• @Nicholas - Congrats on your impending adoption! That's very exciting. I'm glad your experience with the courts will hopefully be a positive one, unlike most people who find themselves there.

Hopefully the atrociously-dressed men in the courtroom weren't directly reminding you of me. ;-) The only people I see wearing suits to court are lawyers or criminal defendants on trial.

Shirt: GAP

Tie: BR

Tie bar: Kenneth Cole

Jacket: Thrifted

Jeans: Levi's STFs

Shoes: Johnston & Murphy

Watch: Orient

Ben

Comment

• @BenR:

Do the jacket pockets have tucked-in flaps or just no flaps to begin with? Also, is that watch silver or gold toned? I can't tell if the gold is from the metal or the wooden desk its sitting on.

Comment

• @ Alan - No pocket flaps, the pockets are just weird patch things. Probably the only thing I'm not crazy about on the jacket, but since it was a thrift find, I'm willing to overlook them. :-) The watch is gold but not an obnoxiously yellowy gold, which is one of the reasons I got it.

Ben

Comment

• @BenR your jeans and coat sleeves look a bit long. The shirt is great though.

Vintage peacoat (traded for)

Vintage Pendleton driving cap w/ navy & blue tartan (thrifted)

LL Bean scarf

Astor & Black shirt w/ navy and light blue check (thrifted)

Brooks Brothers tie, navy with gold and red repp stripes (thrifted)

Banana Republic silk/cashmere sweater, navy

Hickey Freeman grey checked flannel pants (thrifted)

Topman striped socks

Cole Haan shoes

Comment

• @ JC - Yeah, the jeans are long by design - I was sort of going for some "stacking" or whatever. Plus this is the second pair of STFs I have, the first pair were shorter in the inseam but shrank too much for my tastes. The jacket sleeves are slightly long, I just haven't gotten around to having them tailored yet.

P.S. You are always rocking the sweet shoe/socks combinations....

Ben

Comment

• @BenR - late reply. Yes, thinking of what you would be thinking in the courtroom environment! Not thinking that you would be one of them, lol.

Comment

• Shirt: LEC

Tie: Thrifted

Jacket: Charles and 1/2 (via Urban Outfitters)

Jeans: Levi Signature

Boots: Chippewa

Watch: Stocker and Yale military hand-winder (from my dad's Marine days)

Ben

Comment

• Badass watch, BenR.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

• Bought the sweater at the advice of this post a couple hours after reading it. Very happy with it. Sized down to the small and still have plenty of arm length. The torso isn't very long, but it covers the belt/waistline. I mentioned this elsewhere, but it does leave a lot of fuzz on whatever you wear underneath it.

The pants are Old Navy straight fit cords. Got them for $15.99 in store with a coupon. Now a buck cheaper online. Wanted to get them in coffee grounds, but I could only find the barnswallow in my size. These are the ones that I washed in hot water to get the waist to fit right.

Socks are Ralph Lauren from DSW. I really like them.

Comment

Working...
                                X