Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shomas, thanks. I do love richer poorer socks, perfect casual socks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukeduke View Post
      @Shomas - I appreciate the feedback. The pants are from a couple of seasons ago and I wasn't so sure about them at first, but they've been great this winter. I do like how they add some subtle texture and pattern to an otherwise basic outfit. Regarding the collar stays, I'm actually wearing some Wurkin Stiffs in that picture. It might just be how I'm standing with my head turned or maybe I'm wearing them a bit too low. I wasn't a big fan of the Stafford boots the first couple of times I saw them in store, but they've been a lifesaver while heading into and out of work on some nasty days. I plan on picking up a pair of the Ashton wingtip oxfords to use for rainy days this spring.

As others have mentioned, I think your hair always looks great. I'm in the process of restyling my hair a bit into more of a pompadour style with a side part and was wondering what kind of product you used in yours. Right now I'm using some American Crew forming cream which seems to work okay, but wasn't sure if there was something better for the look.
      Sorry re. the Wurkin Stiffs. You're right, it must just be the angle (or, y'know, me being kind of dumb). I actually think this particular pair of those boots looks a little better for having a little wear on them. Kind of like the natural version of the black polish on a brown shoe move.

With respect to my hair, thanks. It's funny you mention a pompadour because in my late teens and early 20's I had a very rockabilly look with a big greasy pompadour formed with Murray's pomade. It's incredibly thick and in the amounts I used essentially impossible to wash out. Barbers hated me. My issue is that my hair is very thick and wants to stand on end, so I need something with some weight to hold it down. Currently, I use American Crew fiber and a little bit (like a tiny amount) of Murrays on some of my more unruly cowlicks. Unfortunately, the American Crew stuff is very expensive. Before I used it, I used Layrite pomade, which had the heft I needed, but was hard to re-form after I took off a hat or a bike helmet.

Really, though, my barber is 90% responsible for how my head looks. He's awesome, identified what I wanted better than I could have, and executes it perfectly. Also as soon as I started taking Joe's advice to get my hair cut before it looked necessary, the happier I became with how I look.

Comment

Foodie - Yeah, I know. I have about 6 BR shirts at this point which I realize are a tad big but I'll live with it until they get worn out and replaced.

I have thick enough hair where I could do the Shomas hairstyle but it wouldn't look right on me. I do think a bowtie would look perfect on Shomas though.

Comment

@AcousticFoodie
          That's a great look. Cardigans never look right on me, but you pull it off well.

@Andrew4H
          Great fit all around and I like how you used red, white and blue without it coming off USA USA USA.

Thankfully, wearing this Brooks Brothers blazer regularly is starting to iron out the kinks with the shoulders. I think it was poorly stored by whoever the eBay seller got it off of, but some more time on good hangers, a few more wears and a pressing will get it just right. I hope. Anyway, feedback and critique always welcome.

Comment

@Acoustic - re: "You will most likely be our J&M representative at this rate." - LOL! I *do* like the fit of most of their shoes/boots, and when I find something that works for me, I tend to become pretty brand-faithful. I presently have a small stable of their offerings, so if I add a couple more, I guess I could consider that mock-nomination. Ha! - Also regarding the sweater fits/tailoring/shrinking: Thanks for the feedback/input! I might experiment with one of my pull-overs. I have 4 or 5 that all fit very much the same. Not sure if I want to try to shrink one (more) first or not. But I'll probably save tailoring for *when* I shed a few lbs... hopefully by Summer. I'd suspect that I might be a little more tapered then, so that makes sense, right?

OK, so I didn't realize until I was ready to walk out the door that my WIWT today is damn near the same color palette from yesterday's. Doh! Ah well, no one who's going to see me today saw me yesterday; except for my wife, my kids and our dog. Hope they won't mind. The pooch might have a few choice words (err... barks), however.

Same *slight* ill-fit feeling with this pull-over as before (like I said, I have a few of them). I guess it's not really super-baggy, but I sure wish they tightened up a bit more after being laundered. Sizing down looked pretty bad on me. I tried it. Too tight! As I just mentioned above, I might experiment with shrinking or tailoring, per Acoustic's advice. But in the meantime, as Shomas put it in reply to a prior WIWT of mine regarding the looser fit, "that just makes it a little more casual." And thus I guess I'll regard my usage of them, especially when worn with a simple tee underneath, as my go at following Joe's recommendation for a *hooded sweatshirt upgrade*.

Sweater: BR half-zip cotton pullover
            Shirt: Hanes t-shirt
            Pants: BR vintage straight chinos
            Socks: Gold Toe Auro
            Boots: Stafford Ashton
            Watch: Rotary Chronospeed

Comment

Thomas, thanks, i personally really love this particular shade of blue, just different enough. Really like your tie--and look--as well. The shoulders do seem better.

Yoyorobbo, good casual outfit and love the watch

Comment

Haven't posted a WIWT in a while. Near record lows this morning in S. FL. I can't remember wearing a sweater in March in recent memory. Only went to campus to TA a lab this morning, so kept it pretty simple.

Sweater: BR
                Shirt: Merona tailored fit OCBD
                Pants: GAP vintage straight

I feel like this outfit is missing something. I did have navy/red striped socks and NATO strap on my watch but still seems boring, no?
                Last edited by MarkB; March 27, 2013, 03:12 PM.
                Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                  I do think a bowtie would look perfect on Shomas though.
                  I have a bowtie...I just haven't worked up the nerve or the occassion to wear it. To the office is not a good option, I think, and I don't hit the town much. We'll see... In any event, I'm sure that opinion would be different if I shaved, which I'm thinking will be happening sooner rather than later.

This is me today:

Jacket: BR
                  Shirt and pants: J Crew Factory
                  Shoes: AE
                  Watch: Omega
                  Pocket Square: thrift

Comment

Took the jacket off for the 2nd pic so you can see the fit on the shirt (didn't realize the tie was off to side while the pic was being taken). It's a Club Monoco one that just came in. I think it fits me much better than the BR shirts.

shirt - club monoco
                    tie - BR factory
                    pants - BR
                    jacket - Hickey Freeman

Comment

Some great looks on the previous pages, well done! Is it spring yet in the states? It is still freezing here but I already am in spring mood.
                      Some highlights from today:

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                        This is a good outfit.

Comment

Whew, it's been ages since I've posted in here. Hard couple weeks, complete with competitions, tests, and girl drama. Weeeee.

Cardigan: Express
                          Henley: AE
                          Jeans: H&M

I think I'm going shopping tomorrow... maybe I'll have something new.

Also, Shomas, I love your pocket squares.
                          Vicious, the fit on that shirt is pretty good; probably better than BR; I find BR to be rather boxy imo.
                          Tomas, love the use of the purple knit tie; combined with the pocket square it adds a lot of personality.
                          Andrew, I have almost identical socks (mine are Topman though); just love the way they look with brown shoes, don't you? Killing it.
                          Acoustic, I simply love that look. There is nothing more to be said. Everything is A+.

Comment

With respect to my hair, thanks. It's funny you mention a pompadour because in my late teens and early 20's I had a very rockabilly look with a big greasy pompadour formed with Murray's pomade. It's incredibly thick and in the amounts I used essentially impossible to wash out. Barbers hated me. My issue is that my hair is very thick and wants to stand on end, so I need something with some weight to hold it down. Currently, I use American Crew fiber and a little bit (like a tiny amount) of Murrays on some of my more unruly cowlicks. Unfortunately, the American Crew stuff is very expensive. Before I used it, I used Layrite pomade, which had the heft I needed, but was hard to re-form after I took off a hat or a bike helmet.

Really, though, my barber is 90% responsible for how my head looks. He's awesome, identified what I wanted better than I could have, and executes it perfectly. Also as soon as I started taking Joe's advice to get my hair cut before it looked necessary, the happier I became with how I look.
                            Excellent, thanks for the detailed response. I used to use AC fiber when my hair was shorter and it worked great at giving my hair some volume. Right now I'd say my hair is a work in progress as it still needs a little more length on top for it to really want go backwards. I might stick with the forming cream for now, but you're right, American Crew products are pretty pricey.

Comment

@Vicious49 - That outfit is really well put together. How do you like those Club Monaco button ups? I almost bought a couple, but was unsure if I needed a M or a L. I'm typically in between sizes and with this labeled a "slim fit" I decided not to risk it not fitting the way I wanted. I'm also extremely picky about how my shirts fit me. The fit looks good on you. Is that a M?

Comment

Me today. Starting to think I don't like the lighting in this bathroom...makes my colors a bit washed out. It was another cold day, but at least it was dry enough for me to break out my new AE Sanfords.

sweater - Club Monaco
                                shirt - Merona
                                pants - Jcrew
                                socks - Merona
                                shoes - AE Sanford
                                watch - Orient

Comment

Working...
                                X