This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Jeff - I got the jeans about 4-5 months ago but saw the same ones at the outlet when I was there last week when we could use the F&F coupons. You have to go in to an outlet store to buy them. The 2 pairs of jeans I have from there fit much better than all the ones I tried at the actual BR stores. Their sizing seems much more consistent to me as well.
    Excellent info, Vicious; and thanks, Jeff for asking - I was just about to ask, myself.

Do you happen to know the cut/fit of that particular pair, Vicious? Not that it will translate the same on me, but just as a reference/starting point.

I've tried several fits and sizes of BR's jeans at their normal, non-factory shops. Sadly none of them have ever fit me as I had hoped. I really like their "vintage straight" chinos and slacks, so I figured the same cut of their denim would be my dream-jeans. Nope.

Tried "straight" and "relaxed" too (if I have the styles named correctly), but none of them worked for me. I think the fam may be hitting the outlet mall this weekend, so I will most certainly try some on at the BR Factory store there. Thanks again for the virtual nudge, fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
      Acoustic, you can't call it "bumming around" if you're wearing AE double monks. That's putting the bar way too high for those of us who actually do bum around from time to time...
      Right? LOL - I think Foodie is just doing that to get us riled-up. Even his pajamas look was stylish.

Comment

Originally posted by A3M0N View Post
        Thanks for the feedback everyone. I know I don't contribute feedback on this forum, but I'm still learning about style. But you guys all look good! I wish I had more days to dress nicely than just Saturday and Sunday.
        You and your wife really look nice there, man. Very classy and smiles all around. Nice! Hope you guys had a great night out.

Comment

Palm Sunday getup. ... Me with the girl.
          Bonus points for the little one. Very cute! Does she frequent *Full Clutch*?

Comment

Originally posted by Montag311 View Post
            My maiden post in this thread. Nothing complicated but I like it simple most of the time.

Target Kensington blazer
            Land's End OCBD
            Levis 505
            Clarks desert boots
            Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
            Great first post! Looks good and fits well! Also that Kensington blazer looks a whole lot smoother on you than it ever does on me. I think I should iron it more often.
            It really does look great on you, Montag. I have the navy one and like it very much, but it sure doesn't fit me like that either. You look to be pretty trim. Did you have it taken in at all?

I bought the tan/khaki one too, but returned it, as I didn't like how it kinda washed me out, color-wise. I still think about grabbing it again, however, whenever I see it at a local Target. And now especially having seen it here in your post. Looks great. Every item you're wearing there is pretty darn (dapperedly) classic. Sometimes simple is the jam. Nice job!

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
              @yoyo: Whoa, stafford cutters? Those look like pretty solid boots. I'm surprised we haven't seen them more often since the stafford wingtip boot is so popular around here. The seiko watch looks very solid as well. The fit of the quarter zip looks good to me. Hard to tell at that angle tho. To answer your pervious question, the jacket I had on was a guess zip trucker jacket.
              Yeah, Foodie, they are pretty decent. I wouldn't put them in the same tier as the Stafford Camlins (the popular wingtip boots), but they're not too far from it. The only thing that ever bothers me about them is the feeling of the cap-toe ridge/seam, as it sometimes hits the top of my feet if I flex my foot, up on my toes. Make sense? Other than that, they have been very nice for the rotation, especially for $48 (got them 20% off with a F&F coupon). Others here have scored them for $36 and even $24, IIRC. Now *that's* a sweet deal!

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post

BR Quarter Sweater
              514s
              J&M Loafers
              Oh, and also I'm curious to the deets on your loafers here, if you have any. I like the look of a number of penny-loafers - when they are on *other peoples'* feet. With my unnaturally-(read: inhumanly)-flat feet, if the vamp isn't just right, they often bow out horribly on me, near the ankles. Not that I can tell if those you are wearing there would really work or not on me, the fact that you mention they are J&Ms gives me some hope. Many J&M shoes fit me best, when compared to other similar options from other shoemakers. Any more info on those you're wearing, bud?

Comment

Thanks bruschetta, very kind of you! I might take you up on that if I need to fly in for Glasgow. Unfortunately I will most definitely leave the UK for good in a month but will have to come back for exams and graduation. Moving to India, so hot weather clothes suggestions are most welcome

Comment

And while I'm here commenting on others' pics, I may as well post my getup for today:

Sweater: Polo by RL cashmere
                  Shirt: BR pima cotton v-neck tee
                  Pants: Levis 514 cords
                  Socks: Target Merona (how the heck can I keep these from unraveling at the argyle seams?)
                  Boots: J&M Runnell
                  Watch: ESQ by Movado

BTW, I just noticed that I somewhat mimicked a recent Vicious WIWT - a different hue (and lesser quality - /frown) of chukkas in mine, different watch shapes, chinos vs cords, zip vs shawl, etc. - but otherwise a similar looking ensemble. LOL - Coincidence? Probably not, so I think I'll give him the credit for the influence. I appreciate *all* of the style tips from you guys, be they subconsciously gathered or not.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                    Oh, and also I'm curious to the deets on your loafers here, if you have any. I like the look of a number of penny-loafers - when they are on *other peoples'* feet. With my unnaturally-(read: inhumanly)-flat feet, if the vamp isn't just right, they often bow out horribly on me, near the ankles. Not that I can tell if those you are wearing there would really work or not on me, the fact that you mention they are J&Ms gives me some hope. Many J&M shoes fit me best, when compared to other similar options from other shoemakers. Any more info on those you're wearing, bud?
                    Hey Acoustic, I did a quick google after I posted the above question, and am wondering if they are the Ainsworth?

http://www.zappos.com/johnston-murphy-ainsworth-penny

They look kinda similar to your pic, but knowing you and your mad thrift and fix-it-felix skills, you probably got your for $5 at the local Salvation Army. Right?

Comment

Montag, that's the best I've ever seen a Kensington look. You get that pressed or something?
                      It really does look great on you, Montag. I have the navy one and like it very much, but it sure doesn't fit me like that either. You look to be pretty trim. Did you have it taken in at all?

I bought the tan/khaki one too, but returned it, as I didn't like how it kinda washed me out, color-wise. I still think about grabbing it again, however, whenever I see it at a local Target. And now especially having seen it here in your post. Looks great. Every item you're wearing there is pretty darn (dapperedly) classic. Sometimes simple is the jam. Nice job!
                      Thanks for the kind words. I admit that I was completely trying to steal this look that I saw on the web (minus the broad shoulders and rugged good looks).

BB, I probably ironed the jacket once at first but not professionally. I think maybe my lousy cellphone picture doesn't have enough detail to show the wrinkles!

And no, it hasn't been taken in. One reason I bought it (and the navy one) is because the fit was so good off the rack, except for the sleeves, which I had shortened. I'm 6' and about 165 and bought the medium. Yoyo, I think you should go back and get it. They're very versatile. My normal casual outfit is jeans and an oxford shirt, but then I throw on a $40 cotton blazer and I almost look like I know what I'm doing.

Last edited by Montag311; March 25, 2013, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Montag311 View Post
                        I'm 6' and about 165 and bought the medium.
                        Therein lies the problem. I'm 6' too... and 188. Had to go with the large, and thus it's a bit *large* on me in a couple spots. I don't think mine fits me horribly, and honestly I typically need a large for the shoulders and arm lengths, regardless. I'm currently working on dropping a few lbs, so we'll see. I may want to get my tweaked a bit, once I hit my goal. Thanks for the reply, and keep rockin' those (affordable) dappered-approved blazers. Maybe track down the grey one.

Comment

Was. Trying out this new JCPenney tie and I was happy with how good the knot came out.

Comment

Acoustic, you can't call it "bumming around" if you're wearing AE double monks. That's putting the bar way too high for those of us who actually do bum around from time to time...
                            And that denim jacket is killer.
                            Right? LOL - I think Foodie is just doing that to get us riled-up. Even his pajamas look was stylish.
                            Oops! No no not at all what I'm trying to do! When I say bumming around I mean I look bummish compared to you guys who always look very professional & dappered in your suits, blazers and nice sweaters!

Ah, J&M makes shoes with modern lasts as you know from your JM chukkas...I'm not too sure which model it is I'm wearing. As you have guessed I picked mine up at the thrift so they don't have a model name. However, the Ainsworth you linked looks very similar to it. I'd recommend waiting for a sale tho is you are thinking about picking them up. Also look at other JM loafers that have a full leather sole if that is important to you.

@Montag: The Kensington fits pretty good on you OTR! Simple and clean. I like it.
                            @BB: Nice father daughter spring combo you guys both have.
                            @yoyo: Those Runnells are clean. The color combination works great but do you have an athletic frame or a big difference between your chest and waist circumference? It looks like the sweater could be tapered a bit at the waist to give you a more fitted look.
                            @Jake: Man that tie is killer!

I thought spring was suppose to arrive...apparently not yet. Just being casual like usual:

JC Coat
                            Target Henley
                            A.Rag Sweater
                            514s
                            Wolverine 1Ks
                            Last edited by Acousticfoodie; March 25, 2013, 11:06 PM.

Comment

I agree re. the boots, Yoyorobbo. I'm not usually the biggest fan of chukkas, but the suede on those just looks luxe.

Jake101, the knot did turn out well, other than being a little crooked in this pic. I struggle sometimes to make such a nice dimple and then usually get frustrated and yank the tie off angrily, then calm down and try again, lather, rinse, repeat ... until I just say screw it and let good enough be good enough. Any tips you want to share? Also, the double breasted suit is a bold play, but you pull it off here.

This is me today:

Jacket: BR (picked up at the F&F sale and I'm very happy the weather is finally sorta cooperating and allowing me to wear it)
                              Sweater: BR
                              Shirt and pants: Bonobos
                              Pocket square: LEC
                              Shoes: AE
                              Watch: Omega

Comment

@shomas: That look is killer. Everything about it is perfect imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X