Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful day yesterday; of course I spent it in class and proctoring exams so kept it casual:

Polo - pink uniqlo
    Cardigan - grey uniqlo
    Pants - olive bonobos travel denim
    Socks - red polo
    Shoes - JM Runnel Chukka (that got pretty messed up in a surprise storm this weekend)

Today, it is cold and rainy (ignore the random dirt on the mirror by my chest):

Shirt - CT Slim Fit (should have gotten the tailored fit--need to get it taken in)
    Pants - Levis 514
    Socks - Purple Polo
    Shoes - AE McTavish

Comment

Originally posted by printyra View Post
      As for shoes... black shoes are safe with charcoal. According to Style Forum, if it is a charcoal suit, only black shoes. If you are wearing charcoal pants, dark brown/chocolate suede are ok. So no brown shoes with a charcoal suit.
      Chocolate brown shoes go with charcoal suits, too. I think black is actually not a good look with charcoal pants.

Comment

Another incognito cube WIWT:

Sweater: Target Merona
        Pants: Express
        Shoes: AE Fifth Street

Comment

@Margotron
          Great casual Americana look. If you were sitting on a log in some evergreen forest, you'd look like an LL Bean ad. In a good way.

It may be Spring, but the weather in NYC is still wintery so I'm trotting out the J Crew tweed yet again.

Blazer: J Crew Ludlow
          Shirt: Uniqlo
          Pants: Uniqlo
          Tie, tie bar & pocket square: The Tie Bar
          Shoes: Allen Edmonds Delray
          Watch: Orient Symphony

Feedback/critique always welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Sasco View Post
            @yoyo - I think those shoes look more than okay, I like them a lot, especially for that price!

It is horribly snowy and windy again in Scotland, when will spring come at last. Hence I have my ugly shoes on, there is so much salt on the roads, I do not dare wear my nice ones out. So layering is the name of the game, which I like, but the lack of sunshine explains the lack of my smiles on these pictures:
            Outfit 1

Outfit 2
            @Matt: Thanks for the confidence boost for me wearing those thrifted Florsheims. I agree that for the dough ($5.50, IIRC), it's tough to complain about some wrinkles/creases, but I just tend to take pretty good care of my footwear (at least I like to think so), so when I put those on in the morning, I felt like they really stood out as somewhat overly *used*. Again thanks for the comment. I appreciate it!

Also, I'm really diggin' your layered looks. My layering tends to be pretty minimal, t-shirt/button-up or OCBD/sweater or blazer. But you really have the varying patterns and fabrics nailed. I'm not anywhere near that yet. Yet.

Oh yeah, and finally, nice Timex chrono. I *think* that may be the one I was envisioning when I said a little while back that the Seiko chrono I recently procured reminded me of a particular Timex model, along with having some hints of a Hamilton chrono too. Pretty good company there, for sure. So yeah, sweet watch, man!

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
              @yoyo: DAT SEIKO DAT ROTARY

Probably could have used some patterns:

Foodie, thanks man! I don't have anything super-crazy-cool watchwise, but I like the modest pieces I do own, so I really appreciate the compliments.

Additionally, I had to do a double-take on your pics in this one; thought you had *another* Filson Trucker jacket! It seems to have a similar look, fabric/finish-wise. What is that one, bud? I like the zipper option on it. In fact I tend to like zipper jackets a little more than button ones. Although, I'm still am gonna be on the hunt for that [email protected]$$ oiled Trucker jacket of yours.

Great look, as always, man. Classy, yet casual, yet not too casual. Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew4h View Post

Polo - pink uniqlo
                Cardigan - grey uniqlo
                Pants - olive bonobos travel denim
                Socks - red polo
                Shoes - JM Runnel Chukka (that got pretty messed up in a surprise storm this weekend)
                Ouch! (on the Runnells getting hosed in the storm) - Did you not spray them with protector? If not, I'd highly recommend it. Obviously there are numerous options brandwise, but here's J&Ms for suede and nubuck:
                http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/produc...ries&pid=46329

I used it on my suede pair, which I have yet to actually wear outside. I *have* worn the oiled nubuck ones out, but I was told (and thus followed direction) by the J&M store dude, to use the *leather* protector on those (not the suede/nubuck spray), since they don't really have a true nubuck nap, but more of a worn-in leather feel. Regardless, clean those puppies up with a suede marker and brush (if it'll save them), and spray those bad boys!

Onward and upward: Nice casual getup, man. Diggin the cardigan. It's probably *supposed* to be partially buttoned, but I think it actually looks good like that on you, especially given the job you were doing that day. Also like the pants, and since I've seen so many folks pimping bonobos pants, and with the recent battle of the dappered stores thingie - on which the GAP vs bonobos battle I couldn't vote with any legitimacy, since I have never tried any of their gear - well... I need to try some of their gear. Wshew. Run-on much? In summary: dig the casual getup, and wishing you the best on reviving your Runnells.

Comment

Originally posted by Margotron View Post
                  I'll play

Cleaning and polishing the footwear, eh? I agree with the comment on a catalog shoot. Looks about right. Cool casual, layered getup, man.

Comment

Originally posted by RiveDroit View Post
                    Another incognito cube WIWT:

Shoes: AE Fifth Street
                    Those boots are smmmmooooooooooooove, brother. Very, very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by TomasR View Post

Shoes: Loake 1880 Pimlico
                      Watch: Orient Symphony
                      Heya Tomas, those boots looks nice! Can you (or anyone else here in the know) compare them say the AE Malverns? And any good advice on best place to look for them state-side, or are they only available directly shipped from across the pond?

Oh yeah, and sweet Orient too. I really like the classy look of a few of their dress watches. Really nice!

Comment

Feeling a bit *earthy* today. Browns it is (with a *liiiiiiiiiiittle* bit of maroon mixed in).

Sweater: BR half-zip pullover
                        Shirt: BR soft-wash t-shirt
                        Pants: BR vintage straight micro-plaid
                        Socks: Kenneth Cole
                        Boots: Stafford Cutter
                        Watch: Seiko SNE039

Any opinions on the fit of the pull-over? I have a few of them, as I like the casual layering option. The only thing is, I thought they would shrink up a bit more than they have, as sometimes I feel they are a tad baggy, especially when I wear only something thin like a t-shirt here underneath. I guess I could either try sizing-down to a M next time, or maybe go a bit more extreme in the wash/dry cycle (always go tap-cold & tumble low) with the ones I already have, but maybe they are just fine as-is. Dunno. Just thought I'd ask for the fellas' input first. Any thoughts, guys?

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                          Heya Tomas, those boots looks nice! Can you (or anyone else here in the know) compare them say the AE Malverns? And any good advice on best place to look for them state-side, or are they only available directly shipped from across the pond?

Oh yeah, and sweet Orient too. I really like the classy look of a few of their dress watches. Really nice!
                          I don't own the Malverns, but I believe the Loake Pimlico is a bit sleeker based on pictures I've seen of the Malvern.

Loake can be tough to find stateside, so I went the online route. Loake's website doesn't ship to the US, but their stuff can be had via Herring Shoes and Pediwear. Herring has a 10% off promo code (AH10), but they don't stock the chocolate suede model. Pediwear will give you an automatic 15% off any future Loake purchases if you order through them.

Comment

Originally posted by TomasR View Post
                            I don't own the Malverns, but I believe the Loake Pimlico is a bit sleeker based on pictures I've seen of the Malvern.

Loake can be tough to find stateside, so I went the online route. Loake's website doesn't ship to the US, but their stuff can be had via Herring Shoes and Pediwear. Herring has a 10% off promo code (AH10), but they don't stock the chocolate suede model. Pediwear will give you an automatic 15% off any future Loake purchases if you order through them.
                            Ahhhhh, cool! Thanks for the info. I'll keep both of those sites/companies in mind. I usually prefer to try shoes/boots on first, if possible, as many of them give me issues with fit. Still, thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                              Ahhhhh, cool! Thanks for the info. I'll keep both of those sites/companies in mind. I usually prefer to try shoes/boots on first, if possible, as many of them give me issues with fit. Still, thanks for the quick reply.
                              No problem. Just keep in mind the shoes on both sites are in UK sizing. Easiest way to avoid issues is do google searches for sizing on a shoe's specific last. Consensus on the Loake was to go down a full size and it worked out wonderfully.

Comment

RiveDroit: Damn, that is an enviable boot collection. I'd probably spend an inordinate amount of time just gazing into my closet if I were you.
                                Margotron: Agreed re. the catalog-ready look. You need to be frolicing with an irish setter or unloading camping gear from a vintage Grand Waggoneer or something, but you have the outfit nailed. Joking aside, it's really well put-together.
                                Yoyorobbo: I like the (almost) all brown look. There's enough variation that it's still visually interesting. The pullover might fit a bit more loosely that would be ideal, but that just makes it a little more casual, not dumpy, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Me today:

Shirt: J Crew (I really like this patterned oxford - I just wish it was available in their slim fit)
                                Pants: J Crew Factory (another pair that's very prone to wrinkling)
                                Shoes: AE (EDIT: I just got these back from the cobbler, who put some rubber sole protectors on - I'm very happy to not have to baby them quite so much)
                                Watch: Omega, J Crew strap
                                Last edited by Shomas; March 22, 2013, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X