X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BB View Post
    Socks: weird to go grey here?
    Nah, dude. I go gray with navy pants all the time. Nice contrast, but subtle.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisW View Post
      I think you are breaking a style "rule" wearing grey socks, but they look good to me. The issue is not the grey, but the fact that they are lighter than your suit. If we all only wore socks darker than our suits, however, I would never get a chance to wear all my colorful dress socks
      Socks that are significantly lighter in color than your trousers are going to stand out. The interesting thing here is that light grey is not a statement sock color. But I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse for breaking the rule. I can see arguments for both sides.

Personally, I'm not quite digging how the socks look in your pic (edit: looking at the pic again, I realize it's more b/c of how the light grey looks w/ the burgundy shoes than w/ the navy trousers) but I don't think it's a big deal or awful looking. I doubt anyone other than traditionalists and internet style nerds would pay much attention to this detail. But it does make me think that sock color rules are more easily broken in casual contexts.
      Last edited by Idle_Hands; March 19, 2013, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Went to colonial Williamsburg yesterday. The pic was taken in the garden of the Governors Palace. It was cold in the morning so glad I had brought a few layers along.

shirt - JCrew Factory
        pants - BR Factory
        sweater - Lands End
        shoes - Clarks

Comment

Sweater: BR extra fine merino
          Shirt: Express 1MX Fitted
          Pants: BR vintage straight cords
          Socks: Target Mossimo
          Shoes: Florsheim Lexington (thrifted)
          Watch: Orient Vintage (new!)

The shoes are not the greatest find, nor the least creased/crinkled pair ever. I tried the saddle soap, conditioner, polish and shoe trees route, but either they need another go 'round (or three), or they simply are too *used* for the effort. I think they cost me $5 or $6, so no worries there. Regardless, they matched better than my other shoes to the color of the leather strap on the watch.

So... the watch: I couldn't resist any longer, and bit the bullet on an Orient. Saw Joe's post last week regarding some deep discounts via amazon, but didn't find the one I wanted there. Thankfully to another member/reader/poster (PSR) reply, I checked out Island Watch, and got an even better deal than the advertised amazon one. $199 and free shipping. Done & done. Loving this thing - especially the deployant clasp, which I've been wanting to get for quite a while now.

The leather color is a VERY dark brown, bordering on a super dark cordovan/merlot/burgundy hue, IMO. Thus the decision to give the Florsheims a whirl. I may keep my eyes open for another strap to try to swap (as long as the deployant claps works with it) - one maybe a little lighter on the brown side - maybe not. It's nice having the cordovan colored watch strap in the mix, for sure, but I'd kinda like this particular watch to be a little bit more congruent with the rest of my current shoe/boot rotation. I know that's probably *overthinking* it, so maybe I need to relax there a bit, eh? Dunno.

In summary, I guess this is a bit of a WIWT and a Recent Purchases hybrid post. My wallet... err... card case & money clip are waving the white flag.
          Last edited by yoyorobbo; March 20, 2013, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Had a recent birthday, so I gave a couple presents their first wear today.

Cardigan: LEC
            Shirt: jcp oxford (gift)
            Tie: Frank & Oak (gift)
            Pants: Target
            Shoes: AE Malvern

Comment

Nice sunny chilly day

Comment

Blazer: J Crew Ludlow
                Shirt: Uniqlo
                Tie, tie bar & pocket square: The Tie Bar
                Pants: Bonobos
                Shoes: Allen Edmonds Kenilworth
                Watch: Orient Symphony

Critique/feedback always welcome!

Comment

Went casual again today. Since my Malverns and Cascades are at the AE store getting stretched out, it's the Clarks desert boots again.

waffle knit crew - F&O
                  vest - Lands End

Comment

@Vicious49 - How is that Lands End vest treating you? I've had my eye on it for quite some time now and have yet to pull the trigger, but would like to hear some comments/concerns before I go through with the purchase. Nice laid back get-up, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan.Lish View Post
                      @Vicious49 - How is that Lands End vest treating you? I've had my eye on it for quite some time now and have yet to pull the trigger, but would like to hear some comments/concerns before I go through with the purchase. Nice laid back get-up, btw.
                      It's different than anything else I own so it fills a niche in my wardrobe. It's warm and has some nice details. You will have to size down though. I'm 5'8" 160-165lbs with an athletic build and the S fits me perfectly.

Comment

@bjm - love those shoes! Were they a birthday present too?
                        @TomasR - perfect outfit in my book, love everything about it. That Ludlow jacket sure has a nice rich texture!
                        @yoyo - I think those shoes look more than okay, I like them a lot, especially for that price!
                        @Jake - daring combination with that top and the jacket, I might have gone for a bit more contrast but nicely casual none the less.

It is horribly snowy and windy again in Scotland, when will spring come at last. Hence I have my ugly shoes on, there is so much salt on the roads, I do not dare wear my nice ones out. So layering is the name of the game, which I like, but the lack of sunshine explains the lack of my smiles on these pictures:
                        Outfit 1

Outfit 2

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                          Went casual again today. Since my Malverns and Cascades are at the AE store getting stretched out, it's the Clarks desert boots again.

waffle knit crew - F&O
                          vest - Lands End
                          That frank and oak knit looks very solid, great fit! What size? Might need to investigate for myself....

Comment

INC unstructured cotton jacket
                            Carhartt chambray shirt
                            Target henley
                            MT Silversmiths belt
                            Target cargos
                            Florsheim Haviland longwings
                            Not pictured: Hamilton watch

Haven't worn this jacket in ages. It's a lot shorter than I remembered, but the length doesn't bother me in such a casual outfit.
                            Ben

Comment

I like those Havilands, Ben. And the jacket looks fine. I think I like the look of that better than the Kensington.
                              Matt, I really like that herringbone coat and your briefcase -- and really the whole of the second look. Nice.
                              ThomasR, killing it with the pocketsquare and tie combination. I wish I could pull off stuff like that. And I, too, love the jacket.
                              BJ, I like the tie/shirt pattern contrast.

By the way, little did I know that my joke above about the StyleBlogger had already happened (that is, wearing sweatpants with a sport coat): http://mensstyleblog.blogspot.com/20...-trousers.html

Unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by NewGuy View Post
                                That frank and oak knit looks very solid, great fit! What size? Might need to investigate for myself....
                                A medium. F&O is always a bit hit or miss for me. The medium is usually just a tad bit tight in the chest for me, but when it fits, it's a really good fit. I picked it up on sale a month or two back for $20 I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X