Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Acoustic: Sure, you say "bumming", but we all know it's dapper.
    @JoeG: Like that gingham pocket square. How many have you made so far?
    @Vicious: Looking good, Mr. President.

---
    Here's yesterday/last night for me. Right before I was about to head out to dinner and drinks with some friends our FedEx guy dropped off the JCF Thompson suit jacket that I won on Ebay earlier in the week (thanks again to LosRockets for tipping me off!). I was going to wear my new birdseye, but decided to try it on before I left and man was I surprised about the fit. Perfect. Like a glove, right out of the box. Probably shouldn't have worn it out with denim, but I couldn't help myself. Funny how 38 in JCF is spot on while the same size at BR is leagues too tight. Looks like I'll definitely be going the JCF suit route in the near future.

JCF Thompson
    Nordstrom 1901
    Orient Ray
    AE Kenilworth

Comment

@JoeG-I'm diggin that square as well. I need to learn how to sew.

@Eric F-Looking sharp. That jacket does fit nicely.

@Vicious-Dang, I wish that merona was an option for me. They always seem to pull everything together. Looks good.
      Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Besides one previous very obscure incognito pic, here's my first shot at a WIWT:

Blazer: Merona Kensington
        Shirt: Merona Ultimate Dress
        Jeans: Levis 501 dark wash
        Boots: Stafford Camlin
        Watch: Rotary Chronospeed

Pretty basic, very affordable, and certainly *Dappered*-inspired. Thanks for all the great tips! Regarding fit, the blazer is a L, and could be tailored some, I presume, right? Regardless, a M was way too tight. Any thoughts or advice, fellas?

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
          Besides one previous very obscure incognito pic, here's my first shot at a WIWT:

Blazer: Merona Kensington
          Shirt: Merona Ultimate Dress
          Jeans: Levis 501 dark wash
          Boots: Stafford Camlin
          Watch: Rotary Chronospeed

Pretty basic, very affordable, and certainly *Dappered*-inspired. Thanks for all the great tips! Regarding fit, the blazer is a L, and could be tailored some, I presume, right? Regardless, a M was way too tight. Any thoughts or advice, fellas?
          Liking the blazer, LOVING the rotary lol, and staffords are looking sharp. Nothing to be said for jeans. Levi's are always nice.

Where did you get the chronospeed?
          Last edited by TheMimbo; March 17, 2013, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMimbo View Post
            Liking the blazer, LOVING the rotary lol, and staffords are looking sharp. Nothing to be said for jeans. Levi's are always nice.

Where did you get the chronospeed?
            Agree on all counts, especially the watch.
            Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Now I regret never grabbing those Staffords.

Comment

Reppin' the Protestant Irish with some casual orange.

Target t-shirt, JCF shirt, Target pants, Hamilton watch with J.Crew strap, Chaco flip flops
                Ben

Comment

Kensington seems to be a theme.
                  It's great how well this thread is growing. It's nice to see how we all put our own spin on well liked items.

@Eric F: These green squares are the first ones I feel are "sale" worthy. I made four of the green. I've been thinking about starting a thread to share with the dapper community the development of this project.

@MarkB: Thanks! Practice, patience, and time. It doesn't hurt to have a mother and grandmother that were both seamstress.

Comment

Liking the blazer, LOVING the rotary lol, and staffords are looking sharp. Nothing to be said for jeans. Levi's are always nice. Where did you get the chronospeed?
                    Thanks for the reply, bud. A little nervous posting the pic. So glad to hear the kind words.

re: Chronospeed - I saw this *after* I saw that you already snagged one from ebay. LOL Nice, man! I actually got mine as a Christmas gift from my folks. I saw it at a TJMaxx, while we were *family* Christmas shopping. That's where my fam and my sisters fam hit the stores with my mom & dad - so they can get us some goods that they *know* we'll like - LOL. They still get us a few surprises, which are almost always up our alley, but if they can cut down the guessing game on some of it, they do. The TJM was next door to the Kohl's where everyone else was. I grabbed my dad and had him take a look at the watch, and BOOM! - Santa delivered! It was $80 there, IIRC.

Originally posted by MarkB View Post
                    Agree on all counts, especially the watch.
                    Thanks man! It's probably tough to mess up such a basic getup, I guess, especially since it's been pretty much *virtually* assembled for me from this wonderful site. Regardless, things can still be hosed up here and there, so I appreciate the positive reply.

Now I regret never grabbing those Staffords.
                    I still see them locally at JCP. BUt maybe the sizes are limited. Dunno. They are so choice! (especially for the dough)

Originally posted by JoeG View Post
                    Kensington seems to be a theme.
                    It's great how well this thread is growing. It's nice to see how we all put our own spin on well liked items.
                    Yep, what a nice, affordable unstructured blazer. One simple little item like that can really step a casual game up; even if it's just a small step. I've gotten a few compliments, when wearing it with a crisp white dress shirt, from folks that never seem to give out compliments. $30 for a very nice wardrobe staple - win! And yeah man, it's cool to see some very similar routes, and some very different swerves, with the community here and some common (and dappered) goods. I'm really enjoying being a part of it. Thanks all.

Comment

@Joe: Yeah, you should definitely keep us updated on how things are going.
                      @yoyo: We're all a bunch of dappered clones! Hah, but in all seriousness... the community picks have provided a good foundation for a lot of us here it seems. That's not a bad thing.

--
                      Cloudy day blues.

Comment

@Eric F: Yep yep. Attack of the Clowns... err... *Clones*! You nailed it; many good options for us all. Thanks to the main man Joe, and all the rest of the contributors and members here. Great community!

So... no, this isn't my WIWT from 10/31. I just really like this orange sweater, and then the socks came into play. Yada-yada-yada... if I were wearing a green hat, I'd be a human pumpkin. Anyhoot... here 'tis I.

Sweater: BR extra fine merino
                        T-shirt: Kohl's apt.9
                        Pants: BR cotton vintage straight
                        Socks: Happy Socks
                        Shoes: Stafford Ashford
                        Watch: Seiko SSB015
                        Last edited by yoyorobbo; March 18, 2013, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Wore this spring suit for the first time a couple days ago. Slipped on this thing as the timer went off.
                          Suit: thrifted Kenneth Cole corded cotton
                          Shirt: Tommy Hilfiger gingham (Marshall's)
                          Tie: thrifted fuzzy wool
                          Shoes: thrifted beater wingtips (only label says "permasole," but that's not a shoe manufacturer, right?)

A colleague snapped this during a meeting today as a joke because I had been ruffling my hair (as I do when I mull things over) and it was all hawked out. Sorry to deprive you of that part of the photo.
                          Suit: thrifted Lauren Ralph Lauren (really light stripes, can't see here)
                          Shirt: Target
                          Tie: Land's End
                          Shoes: Park Avenue
                          Socks: weird to go grey here?

Comment

beautiful out today, sadly bad pics--colors not coming out well:

Jacket: Uniqlo Cotton (honestly, the more I wear it, the more it looks too short. the L was way too big the when I had tried it on)
                            Sweater: BR Merino, Maroon
                            Polo: Uniqlo Blue
                            Jeans: Levis 514
                            Socks: Richer Poorer
                            Shoes: Walk-overs with some red AE laces.

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
                              Socks: weird to go grey here?
                              I think you are breaking a style "rule" wearing grey socks, but they look good to me. The issue is not the grey, but the fact that they are lighter than your suit. If we all only wore socks darker than our suits, however, I would never get a chance to wear all my colorful dress socks

Comment

ChrisW, thanks, yeah -- it looked a bit weird, but I also liked it. Thanks for explaining why that was so!

So this morning my son wanted to play in the yard before I got ready for work, and I put on whatever I had to play outside. It was surprisingly chilly, so I grabbed the jacket I was going to wear today and put it on top. After a few minutes it became clear that I was previewing next week's "The Style Blogger" special on "dressing down tweed."

Here's how the jacket ended up looking after a shower:

LRL thrifted tweed jacket
                                Target shirt
                                J Crew cords
                                Stafford wingtips

Comment

Working...
                                X