This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkB View Post
    @vicious--I'm jealous that you can wear a blazer OTR at all. At the very least I have to get the sleeves shortened.
    I usually do too. BR must have changed the length on their sleeves this season since I think I can get away with only having to let the jacket out a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
      And you look less "dressed up" than you probably feel - "put together" is a better description.
      Yeah, I think you're right. With a navy jacket and dark denim it's been pretty easy. All I've had to do is pick a complementing shirt color and the eye is drawn to the pop of color underneath the deeper blues. With the grey jacket it feels like there's a bit more thrown into the mix that's competing for attention and it ups the challenge a bit. Now that I have some more textured pieces it will be fun to play around and learn how to rotate in everything else I own. Thanks for the insight.

Comment

Got colder later on. Continuing bumming around:

Target Henley
        Cambridge Sweater
        Filson Jacket
        514s
        Wolverine 1Ks

Comment

Been a little while, so a few updates across a variety of spectrum of attire I've been up to recently. Suggestions always welcome.

#1 - Chilly day at class

Sweater - Banana Republic
          Jeans - J. Brand
          Jacket - Zara (I feel cool in a leather jacket, okay? ha.)
          Shoes (not pictured) - Clarks suede DB

#2 - Client interview (in law school, do pro bono cases sometimes thru a clinic)

Pants - Bonobos
          Shirt - Some random cheap white shirt I got tailored (fit okay?)
          Shoes - AE Van Ness
          Socks - Unknown

#3 - Another client interview (my only chance to wear anything dressed up-ish, even if its just business casual)

Shirt - BR (got this one tailored too...do you think the guy did a decent job? I can't tell frankly, this one still seems a bit baggy in random places)
          Pants - Random wool pants, don't remember where I got them
          Shoes - AE Van Ness
          Socks - Thrifted, but I think they're Ralph Lauren actually. $1!

#4 - Outdoor dinner with friends on a warm spring night in southern California

Shirt - Bonobos (it's long sleeve, I just rolled them up)
          Jeans - Joe's (thanks Mrs. NewGuy...way over priced, but I still like them)
          Shoes - Clarks DB

Comment

@LesserBlackDog - really like that jacket. Also, solid disguise.
            @Vicious - big fan of the gingham in that shirt, might have to pick up something similar. Well played!
            @acoustic - killing it, per usual it seems.
            @ericF - I'm with shomas, I really like the jacket and the shirt. Herringbone's a nice change from standard cotton blazers this time of year.

Sure I'm missing some people that aren't on this current page right now, apologies. Haven't seen a single look I didn't like though so props all around.

Comment

@NewGuy: You've got good taste in combining pant texture (Those bonobos pants are fantastic!) with sock pattern and shoe color. I think your Pic #2 also shows how tailoring can make things look good. I do think some magnetic collar stays can make the white shirt look even more congruent with your athletic frame tho: http://wurkinstiffs.com

The shirt on pic #3 does look a little billowy as you suggest, but imo it's not a big deal. Are you having your tailor take in the sides only? You've got what looks to be a swimmers body with broad shoulders and a large taper. Your tailor could add some darts to the sides which can help a bit but some people don't like that look on that back.

That bonobos shirt fits fantastic on you for OTR

Comment

@NewGuy - Solid looks, man. I really like those plaid pants in #2. Personally, I avoid wearing a white dress shirt without a jacket, but that's just me. Maybe a light blue or a subtly patterned shirt would be a bit better. All in all, you're looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric F View Post

BR Herringbone
                  JCP Gingham
                  514s
                  Orient Ray
                  AE Kenilworths
                  Looking smoooooooove, dude. The outfit deets looks like a Dappered.com hit list, which I say with all well meaning. Great choices!

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                    Looking smoooooooove, dude. The outfit deets looks like a Dappered.com hit list, which I say with all well meaning. Great choices!
                    Agree, the gingham with the herringbone is a killer c-c-c-combo.

Comment

@NewGuy: I'm nitpicking here, but it's only because I really dig everything else about your getups posted above. So... The only thing that I think needs attention is maybe our belt. It looks like maybe you lost some weight, or maybe just possibly are wearing the wrong size. It looks too big, waist-wise, to me. It shouldn't be a big deal, and in fact I'm guilty of it as we'll with a couple belts that I bought when I was packing a few more lbs. myself, but it stood out in your pics to me, so I thought I'd mention it as some feedback. All else... Nice!

Comment

Being a bum again:

BR chinos
                        Penguin Polo
                        Tso Loafers

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
                          Being a bum again:

BR chinos
                          Penguin Polo
                          Tso Loafers
                          Did you have that polo tailored? That is the best fitting polo I have ever seen. I have got to try those penguin polos ASAP, I wear polos all the time and would love to have some that fit that well.
                          Last edited by MarkB; March 16, 2013, 08:37 PM.
                          Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB View Post
                            Did you have that polo tailored? That is the best fitting polo I have ever seen. I have got to try those penguin polos ASAP, I wear polos all the time and would love to have some that fit that well.
                            I actually picked it up from a thrift store so I'm not sure if its tailored or not but looking at the seams it appears that it is not tailored and is likely the OTR fit. I'm wearing a medium. Chest size is 39.5 and waist is 29.5

Comment

Trying to branch out and mix in some bold colors with neutrals.

•Jacket: Merona Kensington
                              •Shirt: Frank & Oak
                              •Pocket Square: homemade by me
                              •Watch: Fossil
                              •Belt: Perry Ellis
                              •Pants. Gap
                              •Shoes: Gordon Rush

Comment

Visited Mount Vernon yesterday.

shirt - JCrew Factory OCBD
                                jeans - BR Factory
                                blazer - Kensington