X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
    I was referring to the red pants.

Figured I'd put to use the stuff I picked up from Lands End yesterday. The cords were $7 and the sweater was $20.
    And a fine job you did, at that. The sweater was $20 very well spent, too.

If you would have told me a few years back that I'd be someone's inspiration for wearing red pants, I'd have told you to put down the pipe!

Comment

I am awful at taking pictures of myself. I can't get lapels to stay flat while my arm is up in the air taking the picture.

Harris tweed.
      Knit navy silk tie.
      White spread collar (unbuttoned at the top because I'm home for the night and I forgot to button it for the WIWT shot).
      CT white spread collar shirt.
      Charcoal merino sweater.

Comment

i like the use of red pants...but the stark contrast of blue and red, to me, seems a little...Fourth of July-ee.. But all the power to ya

Comment

Originally posted by Jake101 View Post
          i like the use of red pants...but the stark contrast of blue and red, to me, seems a little...Fourth of July-ee.. But all the power to ya
          Clearly, somebody hates freedom.

Comment

- mebbe I'm British?

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
              Agree with you guys. I think a button-down is perfectly fine for a blazer or sport coat. But to me it feels a little "wrong" with a suit, which I think "needs" a dress shirt. For me a button-down shirt is not a true dress shirt.
              I think suit and button-down can look good. The key in my book is to wear a less formal tie. I would pick something like a cotton plaid, patterned wool, linen, or silk knit. No grenadines, satin, rep stripes or paisley.

With a less formal tie I think even a worsted wool suit can look good with a BD. The only suit that I think would look really out of place with a BD shirt in my book is a pin-stripe (although I'm sure there are ways to pull it off)

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisW View Post
                I think suit and button-down can look good. The key in my book is to wear a less formal tie. I would pick something like a cotton plaid, patterned wool, linen, or silk knit. No grenadines, satin, rep stripes or paisley.

With a less formal tie I think even a worsted wool suit can look good with a BD. The only suit that I think would look really out of place with a BD shirt in my book is a pin-stripe (although I'm sure there are ways to pull it off)
                Good points. I can see how this could work. Heck, I might even try it now.

Comment

Re: the issue of button-down shirts with suits.

When it comes to classic menswear, there is "city/business" and there is "country/sport." Button-down shirts fall into the latter category - they are sport shirts by design, intended to prevent your collar from flying into your face while engaged in activities like horseback riding. They are therefore totally appropriate for wear with "sport" jackets, or the jackets traditionally associated with the countryside - tweeds, hacking jackets, hunting jackets, or anything with sporty, country, or military details.

A worsted wool suit, on the other hand, is "city/business" wear. It should be worn with an appropriately city/business shirt - generally speaking, one without a button-down collar.

The moral of the story is, your outfit should have an overall theme of either city/business or country/sport. Knitted wool ties, button-down oxfords, wool tweeds, and even more casual suits like a textured flannel, rumply linen, or cotton, all fit together the country/sport category. They are characterized by rougher textures and greater variety in both color and design details like pockets. Silk ties, fine cotton dress shirts, and business suits all fit into the city/business category. They are characterized by finer textures and an elegant, conservative approach to both color palette and design details.

Mixing elements from these two broad categories will usually result in an outfit that is slightly "off" and lacks a sense of polish and cohesion. I would, generally speaking, recommend against wearing a button-down shirt with a conservative business suit.
                  Ben

Comment

@BenR - very well said, and also, to my knowledge, correctly. And with that, - Rules are meant to be broken. But carefully.

Comment

now this is well done. not just the colors/patterns, but also the perfect fit. love those neumoras and the collar roll. very nice.

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                      Matt, I agree that this looks pretty good. However, I think it'd me miles better with darker jeans.
                      Piperty, it's definitely pattern-rich at the edges, but with the solid sweater and pants, I think you pull it off. Also, there's something I like a lot about wearing the bow tie to the parent-teacher conference.
                      TomasR, I see the same issue as Vicious with the shoulders - could they be a bit wide?
                      MarkB, welcome! You are straddling the "don't be a typical shlubby undergrad" / "dont' be the old guy undergrad" line nicely.

Me today:

Jacket: BR
                      Shirt: J Crew Factory
                      Pants: J Crew Factory
                      PS: LEC
                      Tie: Rooster (vintage ebay score)
                      Watch: Timex weekender
                      Shoes: AE
                      Socks: J Crew

Comment

Here's my wiwt. Got a full day of east coast snowboarding ahead of me. Showing my true steez. This is hischoool all over again!

Comment

It's Casual Thursday at school (We only go four days a week), and Spring Break starts tomorrow. The weathermen say we should be getting a sneak peak of Spring today and tomorrow, so I went in theme. As always, critiques are welcome.

OCBD: Gap
                          Tie: Stafford ($2 on clearance)
                          Tie Bar: The Tie Bar
                          Chinos: Gap
                          Shoes: Sperry Top-Sider

Comment

Originally posted by piperty View Post
                            It's Casual Thursday at school (We only go four days a week), and Spring Break starts tomorrow. The weathermen say we should be getting a sneak peak of Spring today and tomorrow, so I went in theme. As always, critiques are welcome.

OCBD: Gap
                            Tie: Stafford ($2 on clearance)
                            Tie Bar: The Tie Bar
                            Chinos: Gap
                            Shoes: Sperry Top-Sider
                            Great combo. Question- sock or sockless with the Sperry's? Ive tried to go sockless year around when I wear mine but when its cold I sometimes am forced to throw on some thin dress socks.
                            eBay id-> Mr.k215

Comment

Originally posted by Kevbo View Post
                              Great combo. Question- sock or sockless with the Sperry's? Ive tried to go sockless year around when I wear mine but when its cold I sometimes am forced to throw on some thin dress socks.
                              With socks. It's still pretty chilly in the morning, and with the school being an incubator for bacteria and viruses, I try to take all reasonable precautions to avoid illness.

Comment

Fash1on, thanks very much!
                                Jake101, yikes!
                                Piperty, looks great! I'm surprised I like that tie, but I do - it almost reads as camo at a quick glance. I'm curious about what knot do you use to tie your ties. I have a few with very thick material that require a small knot, but I haven't been totally happy with a four-in-hand in those cases.

Comment

Working...
                                X