This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by piperty View Post
    Standard Teacher-wear today. Ready for some warmer weather so that I can break out some better color.

Shirt: Stafford Tailored
    Tie: Tommy Hilfiger
    Tie Bar: The Tie Bar
    Belt: Fossil
    Pants: Express
    Shoes: Aldo
    I like this look quite a bit. I understand the critique re. shirt & tie with no jacket and I generally follow the "add a jacket or sweater" rule, but most of the time, I wind up in just the shirt and tie anyway. I don't sit at my desk with a blazer or sport coat on and if I'm getting up to get a cup of coffee or go into a quick meeting in another office, I don't typically put it on, so...there you have it. I usually spend a very small fraction of my day actually wearing the jacket that I agree should go with the shirt and tie.

Other than being a very special episode of "True Confession Time with Shomas," that's a long way of saying I wouldn't worry too much about going sans jacket if your lifestyle/work situation make it impractical. I'm going to guess you look a hell of a lot more put together than most-if not all-of your colleagues (and as the husband of a high school English teacher, that's coming from actual experience).

Comment

My typical "uniform"

Did I mention that I like plaid shirts?

Shirt: JCF
      Pants: 514
      Shoes: Clark's db in grey suede
      Watch: Citizen Nighthawk
      Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post

@piperty: Looks good; nice tie dimple. Not a fan of the shirt-tie look myself though; I prefer a blazer over a tie. Urge you to consider (although... blazers are so much more expensive...)
        How many teachers do you know wearing blazers? He's already better dressed than any teacher I ever had (not counting college).

I'm considering stealing a page from Shomas' book for todays outfit. Hmmm . . .

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
          I don't know if it's just me, but if it's a rougher material jacket, like say a tweed or cord jacket, I prefer a button-down, whereas for worsted wool and cotton or linen, I prefer a non-button down.
          Agree with you guys. I think a button-down is perfectly fine for a blazer or sport coat. But to me it feels a little "wrong" with a suit, which I think "needs" a dress shirt. For me a button-down shirt is not a true dress shirt.

Comment

Ted Baker Jacket
            H&M Shirt
            Unbranded Jeans
            Red Wings Boots

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
              @piperty: Looks good; nice tie dimple. Not a fan of the shirt-tie look myself though; I prefer a blazer over a tie. Urge you to consider (although... blazers are so much more expensive...)
              Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
              How many teachers do you know wearing blazers? He's already better dressed than any teacher I ever had (not counting college).
              Originally posted by Shomas View Post
              I like this look quite a bit. I understand the critique re. shirt & tie with no jacket and I generally follow the "add a jacket or sweater" rule, but most of the time, I wind up in just the shirt and tie anyway. I don't sit at my desk with a blazer or sport coat on and if I'm getting up to get a cup of coffee or go into a quick meeting in another office, I don't typically put it on, so...there you have it. I usually spend a very small fraction of my day actually wearing the jacket that I agree should go with the shirt and tie.

Other than being a very special episode of "True Confession Time with Shomas," that's a long way of saying I wouldn't worry too much about going sans jacket if your lifestyle/work situation make it impractical. I'm going to guess you look a hell of a lot more put together than most-if not all-of your colleagues (and as the husband of a high school English teacher, that's coming from actual experience).
              I appreciate the feedback guys. If I would wear a jacket/blazer to school on a regular basis, I would have to refer to this far too often. I love the look, but just like Shomas, I would spend far too much time with the jacket hanging on a hook or on the back of my chair.

Comment

Thing about adding a blazer, though, piperty, is that it can be a useful layer or even serve as outerwear. If it gets chilly in the classroom, you put on the jacket. Or if its cold outside and you need to go out or leave for the day, you put the jacket on.

Comment

Nice day in NY - decided to try the white jeans thing. Snapped a pic b4 they get filthy. Feedback?

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
                    Bum again:

BR shirt
                    514s
                    wool tie
                    Filson jacket
                    Bummin', dappered style, you mean. Smoothness. I really want to get that jacket. Nice look, acoustic!

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                      I'm considering stealing a page from Shomas' book for todays outfit. Hmmm . . .
                      Glasses and a beard, I presume?

Comment

On the blazers argument: do wear a jacket, I wear them all the freaking time as you might have noticed. They add a nice, masculine silhouette. Yes, they can be restricting a bit, but once you get used to it they become like armor at least for me they did. The "downside" if you can say it is that by adding even a simple unstructured blazer you are immediately more dressed up than most men, some people might even say why are you so formal? Always wearing suits? Yes, it is annoying, but then educate them, an unstructured blazer, or even a wool jacket is not a suit!

Nice jeans Jake! I would have paired it with more "popping" pieces, I mean maybe a darker top, champagne shoes, or even burgundy if you have some. The belt is a very nice touch, too bad it is hidden. (I think Dappered listed popping or pop as an overused #menswear word but oh well)

I pulled out my white chinos too today, spring must be in the air

Jacket and tie - Next
                        Shirt - McNeal
                        Pants - Camel Active
                        Boots - Grenson
                        Pocket square - a linen one from my dad (I have loads of my dad's stuff, am I alone?)
                        Mac - Topman

Yes, the pants are short, they are my summer high flood pants to show some ankle (or men cleavage )!
                        And just got in a pair of linen blend white trousers from Zara, but they are too long and not at all slim fitting, so gonna have to get them tailored.

Comment

Jacket: Land's End Tailored Fit
                          Shirt: Uniqlo
                          Tie, tie bar & pocket square: The Tie Bar
                          Pants: Bonobos Slim Straight
                          Shoes: Allen Edmonds Delray

Debuting the new AE's today. So glad I jumped on that eBay auction and still have no idea how I was the only bidder.

Critique always welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
                            Bum again:

Dear God, we're wearing the same outfit today. Save for the jacket.

Originally posted by Matt Sasco View Post
                            Jacket and tie - Next
                            I may steal that jacket from you.

Comment

I take it as a compliment bruschetta . It is this season's one though, so you don't have to resort to a criminal act They are still in the store where I live.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                                Glasses and a beard, I presume?
                                I was referring to the red pants.

Figured I'd put to use the stuff I picked up from Lands End yesterday. The cords were $7 and the sweater was $20.

Comment

Working...
                                X