This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by piperty View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I never really paid attention to the pattern-richness, but you are correct! Now I know to never consider wearing a patterned pant with this getup. I'll also be interested to see the reaction to the bow tie. I wear a tie every day, but seldom pull out the bow. Plus, being new at this particular school, in this particular area, the bow can get a funny reaction.
    I love the design on that bow tie. I might have gone with a plain shirt instead of stripes, but I love the overall look.

Shomas - That's the Birdseye blazer right?

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
      Shomas - That's the Birdseye blazer right?
      It is indeed. I picked it up without thinking too hard about it when a decent sale code came through, just to see if I liked the material and fit, half convinced I'd just send it back. Turns out I like it a lot. I think I'll wear it frequently through the spring.

Comment

@piperty, digging the outfit.

Weather here started out great so only wore this; definitely a bit chilly on the way home though.

Shirt - Uniqlo SS Linen (Navy)
        Cardigan - Uniqlo (dark grey)
        Pants - Bonobos travel denim (olive)
        Watch - Timex

Comment

Found this today. Fits pretty well off the thrift rack, but needs some work (if I decide it's worth it). The suit is a custom job from Hong Kong, but it's pretty nice, is fully canvassed, and I like the fabric. $7.

The pants fit better than it seems in this picture.

Comment

Luncheon with big donors today. Not my best effort but I wanted to keep it fairly conservative (Went tieless because none of my ties work with the shirt (have burgundy and black knits coming from Knottery though!))

Detail on the shoes/socks/pant pattern:

Shirt - Calibrate
            Blazer - Eddie Bauer ($99 on a crazy sale)
            Pants - Banana Republic (thrift)
            Socks - Cole Haan
            Shoes - AE Kenilworth (yes, the same ones that were terribly creased when I took them out of the box. Several days of conditioner + keeping them in trees did wonders); only $109 + S/H

Comment

@Los, that's good that you were able to salvage a great deal on some nice shoes.

Comment

@Andrew4H Thanks, I'm not crazy about the fit of the pants, but they're working for now.

@JonATL Suit looks pretty good, esp. for $7. I would be unbelievably excited if I would get the lucky thrifting!

Comment

Originally posted by piperty View Post

@JonATL Suit looks pretty good, esp. for $7. I would be unbelievably excited if I would get the lucky thrifting!
                  Yeah, though it's not my best thrift pickup by far, the more I think about it, it's a great replica of a vintage 3-roll-2 sack suit. With better buttons and a few more details (you might be able to see that there's no lapel buttonhole), it could very well be a J Press or something like. Well, perhaps not.

Comment

Piperty: Love the combo. Like Shomas said, lots of pattern but I think it looks good from what you posted. Are the pants grey or olive(ish)?
                    Shomas: Seems like every other day someone posts that BR birdseye! I'll have to try my luck fiding it tomorrow during the F&F sale, since you and bjmcgeever have posted some great fits.
                    LosRockets: Awesome to hear about the Kenilworths. It's amazing what a little tlc can do. Also, thanks againfor the tips on the ebay searches yesterday. Sadly, I ended up missing out on the tweed ludlow (got sniped!) but managed to grab the charcoal Thompson. Cheers.

Shirt - Nordstrom 1901
                    Jacket - Target Kensington
                    Pants - Gap 1969
                    Shoes - AE Kenilworth

Comment

@Eric The pants are gray. I bought them in my heavier days, but haven't gotten them adjusted to fit my shriveling body.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                        Luncheon with big donors today. Not my best effort but I wanted to keep it fairly conservative (Went tieless because none of my ties work with the shirt (have burgundy and black knits coming from Knottery though!))
                        LosRockets, is that what you *wore* today, or what you were trying on at the store, today?

Kidding, of course. But it looks like you're in a changing room. LOL - I know I can't seem to find a good setting for WIWT photos, thus my only one so far has been one of the "incognito" types (someone here has been calling them that - forget who ATM), where you could only see one of my legs, a little bit of my sleeve, my watch and my socks & shoes. Doh! So, truth be told, I'm basically a sh*t-talker here with this reply/comment.

Anyway, kidding aside, I think your outfit rawwks! Nice job!

Comment

@piperty Where in KS are you located? Haven't seen many fellow Kansans on here.

Comment

@Shomas
                            Shoulder width is what I usually go for (18 inches), I think the shoulder padding isn't getting along well with the alterations. I'm going to wear the blazer a few times and see if it improves. If not, it'll be another trip to the tailor.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                              LosRockets, is that what you *wore* today, or what you were trying on at the store, today?

Kidding, of course. But it looks like you're in a changing room. LOL - I know I can't seem to find a good setting for WIWT photos, thus my only one so far has been one of the "incognito" types (someone here has been calling them that - forget who ATM), where you could only see one of my legs, a little bit of my sleeve, my watch and my socks & shoes. Doh! So, truth be told, I'm basically a sh*t-talker here with this reply/comment.

Anyway, kidding aside, I think your outfit rawwks! Nice job!
                              Haha, caught me! I was at a Nordstrom Rack trying on a 16-neck dress shirt. I recently decided to size up from 15.5 in neck for my CT order and I was getting nervous they may be too big. I've felt a little too constrained when wearing a tie in a 15.5 neck...can't get 2 fingers in easily, and there's pulling around the traps. I think a 16" neck will resolve that. Ironically I did purchase the socks and shirt from that very Nordstrom Rack. Also I made the mistake of trying on a pair of double monks (Magnanni) today because now I realize how badly I want a pair.

Comment

Originally posted by cforsyth View Post
                                @piperty Where in KS are you located? Haven't seen many fellow Kansans on here.
                                Live in Burlington (Hour south of Topeka)...You a fellow Kansan?

Comment

Working...
                                X