• Show
Clear All

Long day at school today:

Sweater - uniqlo
    Cords - jcrew
    shoes - J&M Runnel Chukka
    Watch - Tourneau

Comment

Nice cords, Andrew. I'd swap out the t-shirt for a plain button-up shirt, but that's just me. I'm not a fan of the tee under a v-neck look.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
        Nice cords, Andrew. I'd swap out the t-shirt for a plain button-up shirt, but that's just me. I'm not a fan of the tee under a v-neck look.
        I switch between the two depending on how cold or warm it actually is.

Comment

This is addictive

@acousticfoodie: I love the outfits you put together.
          @devirkahan: I agree! I like to know where things come from
          @Mikey: The shot is blurry, but looks good!

Green Military Jacket: Levi's
          Navy Merino Turtleneck: JC
          Braided Belt: JCF
          Grey Slim Cords: LEC
          Navy Socks with Green Polka Dots: LE
          Desert Boots: Clarks
          Watch: Seiko Kinetic

Outfit that I went to go pick up my sweetheart at the airport. Not shown were the pink and white tulips. She hates that jacket for some reason, but she's not the boss of me.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew4h View Post

Sweater - uniqlo
            Cords - jcrew
            shoes - J&M Runnel Chukka
            Watch - Tourneau
            Very nice ensemble. Sometimes when I wear V-Necks, I switch out the white tee with a very light marled gray shirt. Gives it a real casual look.

Comment

Here is what bothers me about the look of a crewneck tee under a v-neck sweater. A v-neck sweater draws your eye down, much the same way an open-collar shirt does. The crewneck tee, as it does when worn under an open-neck shirt, interupts that visual movement.

I would say, stick with a shirt under the v-neck--and no crewneck tee, whether wearing a shirt or just the sweater.

Also, the look is just, for lack of a better word, sloppy, even when everything fits well (as it seems to in your case). It just is too casual. Just my opinion, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                Here is what bothers me about the look of a crewneck tee under a v-neck sweater. A v-neck sweater draws your eye down, much the same way an open-collar shirt does. The crewneck tee, as it does when worn under an open-neck shirt, interupts that visual movement.

I would say, stick with a shirt under the v-neck--and no crewneck tee, whether wearing a shirt or just the sweater.

Also, the look is just, for lack of a better word, sloppy, even when everything fits well (as it seems to in your case). It just is too casual. Just my opinion, of course.
                I agree. A casual button-down would be a bit more fitting.

Comment

Long day at school probably seemed longer hanging upside down, eh? Kidding, of course. Great look, color and fit, IMO.

I understand the issue with a crew/tee under the v-neck sweater, especially white. But I wear that combo quite often, so although I understand the issue, I don't subscribe to it personally. An OCBD or a nice button-*up* does look dressier, and I go that route nearly the same frequency; but for a more casual look/vibe, I think what you have going on there is just fine.

Comment

Ooo, I should add that I usually go with a colored tee/crew, as sometimes the stark white "wedge" of the crew under the v-neck can be a bit much, IMO. Sometimes it works great, other times not as we'll. I think the depth of the V dip figures into the equation too. Again, I think your combo looks good. It works.

Comment

Sometimes I'll layer a colored (or gray) t-shirt with a shallower v-neck under a v-neck sweater with a deeper v. It's not the sharpest thing I ever wear, but it's not terrible for a very casual outfit.

Today's action:

Jacket: Bonobos
                      Pocket Square: J Crew Factory
                      Sweater: BR
                      Shirt: H&M
                      Pants: J Crew
                      Shoes: AE

These pants wrinkle like crazy. It kind of drives me nuts. Is there a treatment or ironing technique that not only clears existing wrinkles, but makes new ones less likely?

Comment

I don't mind a crew-neck tee under a v-neck sweater, but only for a very casual look, and only if the t-shirt is not white. To me, a t-shirt in a complementary color looks loads better than the typical optical white undershirt. Heather grey, charcoal, burgundy, navy blue, etc....
                        Ben

Comment

Hey all, happy to have rekindled the crew neck T versus button down debate. Definitely agree that I like the look of a button down under the vneck more, but didn't today for two reasons. 1st being that its just one more thing to get wrinkled and in the tiny lockers they have at the gym at my school, so i tend to wear T-shirts on my gym days. And this sweater (as well as a navy one i have) fit fantastically over an undershirt, but are just too tight to really wear all that comfortably with a button up. Definitely wish I had a couple more of the BR merino wool sweaters instead of these, but such is life.

@Shomas, really like the outfit. jealous of the jacket; extremely jealous of the shoes

Comment

I always wear a button up under my V-necks, all two of them, not a big fan of them somehow, I rather layer with a cardigan. But I like the look, it's just that I'm yet to find some that fit perfectly, they are usually too long.

And to be fair, I go to the gym like this Although I did have a meeting afterwards and had no time to pop home and change.

Hmm, this jacket looks a lot tighter than it feels, strange, maybe it's the cut. And sadly it does not have a chest pocket, which is better for dressing it down, but do miss it sometimes.

And for devirkaham:
                            Unstructured navy cotton jacket: Uniqlo
                            Shirt: H&M
                            Pants: Topman
                            Belt: Mexx
                            Chelsea boots: can't remember, they are old and beat up

Come to think of it, this is a rather cheap outfit and I think it looks decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post

These pants wrinkle like crazy. It kind of drives me nuts. Is there a treatment or ironing technique that not only clears existing wrinkles, but makes new ones less likely?
                              @Shomas - Are those the heathered cotton JCF pants? I have a very similar looking pair, they look like wool from a distance but are in fact very thin and wrinkle very easily. My iron feels defeated everytime they visit the ironing board.

Comment

Originally posted by dackman View Post
                                @Shomas - Are those the heathered cotton JCF pants? I have a very similar looking pair, they look like wool from a distance but are in fact very thin and wrinkle very easily. My iron feels defeated everytime they visit the ironing board.
                                No, but they are a very thin cotton and they behave the same way. I iron them, put them on, check myself out in the mirror, nod approvingly, bend over to tie my shoes, then fall into a wormhole and land in wrinkle city.

It stinks because I like them a lot - they have an interesting but subtle Prince of Wales check pattern to them (hard to see with my garbage photos) and they fit me well.

Comment

Working...
                                X