X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad / lazy stylists?

Comment

the economist in me abhors "people are stupid" as an explanation. If you work from the assumption that they're rational people and experts in their jobs, it's probably just true that a significant proportion of the target audience, whoever that is (men or the women who buy most of their stuff), think that (whatever the 'that' is that we're criticising) is a good look. Another possibility, and this is a total guess, is that white dudes need something with more contrast against their skin to photograph correctly and show the shirt to better effect.

Going along with the first guess (people actually like that), and tossing in some signaling theory: that actually IS a normal/good-enough/acceptable look...but to signal that "we" (those who are in-the-know) are better than them, we don't wear things *that* way, but a different, slightly tweaked way, and others who are in-the-know pick up on it--a little wink and a nod...

It's late...I'm tired...and I've posted far too many darn things tonight.

Comment

You're not convincing me that anyone thinks this is a good fit / look

Comment

Honestly, I feel like a lot of guys (and gals, for that matter) have no clue how a blazer or jacket is supposed to fit. Especially comparatively small details like sleeve length. Maybe the photoshoot stylists should know better, but I feel like 90% of people who see the picture of that GAP blazer will not even think about the fact that the sleeves are way too long or that the shoulders looks lightly big.

Ben

Comment

That's just the thing, Jason...it's not you that's being convinced--you (and I, and us) aren't the target audience; we're off the bell curve. Blogs market to the tails of the curve, not the median.

Comment

Anyone in the UK aware that you can meet with a personal stylist for free at Topman, Uniqlo, and some other stores? Jim Chapman on YouTube has demoed it before. They seem to do three outfits made up of in season clothes in your fit and flatter. Then, you can buy any piece you liked that they had you try on, or just pick out other stuff in the store. I suppose you should do it when you are serious about buying something, as I know I might feel a bit awkward if I spent all that time with the shopper and didn't shop. But I am sure you aren't required.

Wasn't sure if this was thread worthy, but does anyone know or have any info they could share on this? Are there similar options in the US? I have had Banana Republic sales people ask if I want any help or suggestions and have seen them pull new outfits off the rack for people they are checking on in dressing rooms, so that is as close as I know of.

Comment

lol, i looked at that picture was ready to pick that thing apart...that blazer sc w/e it is looks way off IMO. And BenR is right about the bell curve, it holds true in so many different venues as well.Cannon, i would avoid having anyone at a BR telling me what I can and cant wear unless they look sharp and i mean SHARP. I am no fool and love advice and tips but only from those better that I, if the person asking me if i need help looks like he woke up and wears the same baggy suit to work, i am gonig to gracefully decline and say i no im just looking...I actually take my friends out to shop per thier requests. I feel that if your in the know, take everyone else with you and look great together...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                I>0<I

Comment

@MaxMan I have yet to actually try having them help me pick anything, but have seen them do it for others. You have a point though. Some BR associates don't make a convincing argument for you to listen to their tips haha.

Comment

I'm a banana republic associate and I'm only 19 I get asked to help men pick out outfits very regularly. Although I so understand why people would be hesitant to be dressed by an ass

ociate

Comment

But in Mr. Sprague's, he be be aligned to assist someone because posting on here to me means you have some taste, and would possibly be dressed well enough to assist lol...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                      I>0<I

Comment

Shirt: Carhartt chambray

Jeans: Levi's 514

Boots: Timberland Earthkeeper moc toe

Watch: Timex Ironman Shock

Messenger bag: Coach (!)

Jacket: Banana Republic

Ben

Comment

Nice casual look there Ben.

I need a longer mirror:

BR shirt

LEC navy cardigan

Random brown tie I found

Gap Brown herringbone blazer with elbow patches

Gray Bonobo Chinos

Clark Burnished brown calfskin shoes (not pictured)

As always, feedback and criticism welcomed.

Comment

Something about the angle of the camera makes my body look even weirder than it actually is. Oh well.

Shirt: Eddie Bauer

Necklace: Homemade - it's a shellaced stone from the lake by my parents' cabin. Our neighbors made it. Not sure how I feel about wearing it. Is it too feminine?

Jeans: Levi's 501 STF

Watch: L.L. Bean

Boots: Chippewa

Ben

Comment

are those the under $100 USA made Chippewa boots?

Comment

They go for about $130 (or a bit more... I paid $125 for mine but I wouldn't recommend the seller I used). That's not under $100 but it's still a damn good price (especially compared to Red Wing, Wolverine, and the like) and I like mine a lot for the money. The little details aren't so polished but the overall quality, durability, and comfort is awesome.

I gave them 2 treatments with Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP and they have been great so far... spent the last couple days in my dad's workshop, getting them covered in sawdust, and today I went for a short hike through the mountains and got them covered in snow. I followed the advice I found and went 1/2 size down and the fit is spot on.

http://www.basspro.com/Chippewa-6-Lacer-NonInsulated-Work-Boots-for-Men-Chocolate/product/10212623/68036

http://www.zappos.com/chippewa-6-ame...-gq-boot-brown

Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X