Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my first post in this thread, but I liked the outfit I threw together this morning, so I thought I'd get some critiques on it. I'm pretty new to dappered and have recently been starting to upgrade my style. I work in a business-casual IT environment (often skewed more to the casual side), and have been trying to break out of the standard khaki/black/charcoal pants and button-up with inexpensive black shoes that I've been wearing for years. A couple years ago I started layering with sweaters, but I've also started rotating ties or blazers (or both) into the mix. At first I felt a bit awkward feeling "more dressed up" than everyone else, and got the standard "what are you dressed up for today" comments from people. At this point though, I feel more confident being more thoughtfully dressed, and really only get the occasional, "hey, you look good today".

I apologize for the bathroom pic. It was the only place with a full-length mirror and decent lighting that I could snap a quick shot, (nobody else was around).

Shirt: Stafford slim fit broadcloth - navy gingham
    Vest: J Crew Factory gray cotton sweater vest, (a bit polarizing, I know)
    Tie: Red w/ navy stripe silk tie from Marshalls or TJ Maxx
    Pants: BR navy vintage straight fit chinos
    Shoes: AE Walnut Strands

Comment

I like the outfit, especially the shoes. It's commendable that you're not afraid to dress well and especially refreshing to see someone in the IT industry dressing more like a professional.

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
      This is my first post in this thread, but I liked the outfit I threw together this morning, so I thought I'd get some critiques on it. I'm pretty new to dappered and have recently been starting to upgrade my style. I work in a business-casual IT environment (often skewed more to the casual side), and have been trying to break out of the standard khaki/black/charcoal pants and button-up with inexpensive black shoes that I've been wearing for years. A couple years ago I started layering with sweaters, but I've also started rotating ties or blazers (or both) into the mix. At first I felt a bit awkward feeling "more dressed up" than everyone else, and got the standard "what are you dressed up for today" comments from people. At this point though, I feel more confident being more thoughtfully dressed, and really only get the occasional, "hey, you look good today".

I apologize for the bathroom pic. It was the only place with a full-length mirror and decent lighting that I could snap a quick shot, (nobody else was around).

Shirt: Stafford slim fit broadcloth - navy gingham
      Vest: J Crew Factory gray cotton sweater vest, (a bit polarizing, I know)
      Tie: Red w/ navy stripe silk tie from Marshalls or TJ Maxx
      Pants: BR navy vintage straight fit chinos
      Shoes: AE Walnut Strands

Comment

@dro: Welcome welcome! Hard to go wrong with Navy, gray and walnut. Hope you continue to contribute to the WIWT!

@hon: The extra casualness is a welcome addition hon!

Stuck in the library all day today:

Henley: American Apparel
        Jacket: Guess
        Jeans: 514s
        Loafers: unknown

Comment

Been a while since I posted:

Sweater: Old Navy
          Shirt: Ratio
          Pants: BR
          Socks: Happy
          Shoes: DSW (girlfriend bought them for me for my birthday a while ago)

The break on my one leg looks excessive because I aws bending slightly to get my whole body in the shot, and my collar is all messed up for some reason
          Last edited by Acousticfoodie; February 25, 2013, 11:59 PM. Reason: fixed your link for ya

Comment

@TomasR I'm pretty sure I've never seen a tie/shirt/square combo I've liked that much.

Comment

Originally posted by hon140 View Post
              I realize that my posts are incredibly casual (and, hence, simple and boring)
              Hon, casual does not = boring. I am awful at casual outfits, so these are educational to someone like me.

Comment

@drocpsu - Very nice outfit, I like the shoes especially!
                @Andrewski - Like the socks a lot!

Out and about in the town:

Comment

Comment

As always, feedback/critique more than welcome.

Jacket: Land's End Tailored Fit
                    Shirt: Uniqlo
                    Pants: Uniqlo
                    Tie & tie bar: The Tie Bar
                    Pocket square: Army/Navy store bandana
                    Shoes: Florsheim Haviland

Note: shirt is red gingham. Looks a bit weird in photos I guess.

Comment

@Tomas - I wouldn't have gone with the mustard yellow pants, but I like the overall look + fit. Not quite sure how the red gingham got transformed into a purple zigzag lol. Something about the collar seems a little bit off to me, but I can't nail it down. I think it's just the collar being a button-down when I think a spread collar would look better. Just nitpicking at that point though.

@Jake - I really like that shirt, and normally for whatever reason I can't stand striped shirt. Details?

Comment

Busy studying today. I can never take footwear pics as good as you guys with shoes on. So Isolation pic instead.

[img][/img]

Shirt Levis
                        Jacket Filson
                        Bonobos Chinos
                        J&M Italian Captoes

Comment

@Tim - thanks! It's from BR, but it's from their fitted line, and i picked it up like 8 years ago. SO it probably isn't made anymore.

Comment

Andrewski - I love those socks.

Cold out there today and since you've already seen most of my stuff at this point, figured I'd take the pic with my peacoat on. I did finally stop by the AE store and pick up waxed laces for my Aberdeens.

Comment

First WIWT...I'm in grad school, so I'll tend to be on the casual side compared to some in here I'm sure.

Nice warm spring day here, so went with some color.

Shirt - J. Crew
                              Jeans - J. Brand
                              Shoes - Converse (classy, I know).
                              Socks - No idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
                                Busy studying today. I can never take footwear pics as good as you guys with shoes on. So Isolation pic instead.

[img][/img]

Shirt Levis
                                Jacket Filson
                                Bonobos Chinos
                                J&M Italian Captoes
                                Acoutsicfoodie, I love that jacket! Meant to say something the last time you posted a WIWT pic wearing it. That's the Filson oil finish Levi trucker humma-humma, right? I have a reddish lightweight cord Levi's trucker like this:

... and I love it. I'd sure like to add a more substantial one like yours there to the wardrobe too. Any deets on where/when/how to get a hold of one at a good deal (are they really $228 from Filson?) that you wouldn't mind passing along?

Comment

Working...
                                X