This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
    That depends on how warm/cold it is though. I agree with you, but at like 65 degree weather, you're kind of caught in between.
    This is true. I have found some super thin cotton v-necks that do the trick for the in-between weather. Also, very light unstructured blazers (which I know Matt has mentioned don't really work in his field) are helpful in those temps.

Also, @acoustic, I was thinking vicious's sleeves looked pretty good? I guess I usually go for a bit longer coat sleeves to cover shirt sleeves.
    Last edited by greg_s; January 25, 2013, 08:39 PM.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Rainy day here in So Cal, too. I've been trying to wear the hell out of this Kensington jacket lately. Went in today with the pocket square, but pulled it out after a couple hours. Just took the pictures a bit ago and decided to throw it back in quickly for a comparison.

Kensington
      J Crew Factory
      514s
      Aston Grey

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
        Apologies for the crap pictures. I've discovered that it's impossible to take a picture of yourself while holding an umbrella.
        Put down the umbrella? I'd like to know the maker of that waxed suede jacket.

Comment

Some great looks the past few pages fellas

Sweater: Rag and Bone from Target
          Buttondown Shirt: JCrew Factory
          Pants: Dockers Alpha
          Boots: Staffords from JCP

Comment

@Eric F, I like it with the pocket square, but I think a straight-across fold would work better. It doesn't have to be razor sharp, but a nice line (or lines, depending on the precision of your fold - and I think less precise would be better here) would look great. Looking good otherwise!

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
              Put down the umbrella? I'd like to know the maker of that waxed suede jacket.
              I snapped these pictures on my way to work. I should plan ahead like some of you guys and take pictures before I go out. We had heavy rain AND snow today.

Comment

Shomas - yes, the one with the oarsman logo

Bruschetta - looking at the way they came out in the pic, I agree with you about the pants. They're not as blue in person. I normally would have gone with grey pants and my black mctavish but its snowing today and I don't have much in the way of non-brown shoes so I tried to make it work.

Eric f - the Kensington looks great on you

Taking pics used to be a pain but now I have my wife do it. She makes fun of me everyday when it's WIWT pic time.

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
                  @Matt: Hey that shirt looks like it fits you really well throughout the body! I didn't even realize the shoulders were off until someone mentioned it. The Jeans and belt look good too. Does that look go well with your research job?
                  Wow, maybe this outfit isn't as bad as I thought it was, thanks! This is actually somewhat dressy for my office, hard as it may be to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by MattRicketts View Post
                    This is actually somewhat dressy for my office, hard as it may be to believe.
                    Don't worry about that, if they don't want to be taken serious or dress like adults meh to them at least you're putting the effort in. If you go back a bit, the whole point of dressing up is paying respect to those around you and so forth. I started wearing suits etc to work and people asked me why I was wearing a suit and I asked them why not, no one could answer that.
                    Last edited by shad0w4life; January 26, 2013, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                      Taking pics used to be a pain but now I have my wife do it. She makes fun of me everyday when it's WIWT pic time.
                      Ballsy move. I don't know what my wife would say...

Comment

@brushetta: waxed suede jacket? that sounds very interesting. some deets plz
                        @Eric: the hensington looks like a great fit OTR for you
                        @pii: where ya been! Like the heavy cardigan

Light making smudges on mirror really come out. Probably should have gone with brown instead of rust boots.

shirt BR
                        Jacket Guess
                        BR pants
                        Wolverine 1Ks

Comment

My red PJ bottoms look like your pants heh.

Definitely agree on a different colour shoe.

Comment

@Shomas: Thanks for the tip with the pocket square; now that I've seen the picture I think the outfit definitely needs that pop of white (though as pictured the fold is sloppy).

I've been playing around with different folds and I tend to flip between the straight fold and a short "puff". So far I've mastered neither. Is there any rule of thumb for which is more appropriate given certain occasions, etc? Maybe it's just me, but often times a razor-sharp edge looks a bit serious for how I've been wearing my jacket (i.e., casually with denim). Good to know that a little less precision is often desirable.

@Vicious/Acoustic: Thanks guys. I'm liking it more and more.

Comment

If there's a rule of thumb, I don't know it. With cotton and linen pocket square I pretty much always go with a straightish fold, just because that's what I'm most comfortable with. What I mean by "less precise" is something like this: http://www.gq.com/images/style/2010/...uare-intro.jpg
                              Everyones taste varies, but I think this almost always looks good.

Comment

From yesterday. I took the pic after I had already removed my shoes.

shirt - F&O
                                corduroys - JCrew Factory
                                socks - Lands End

Comment

Working...
                                X