Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since everyone's weighing in on Foodie's PS, I feel compelled to, also. It's an interesting question to me because I don't have any boldly patterned blazers myself and thus have no experience wearing PS's with them.

On the basis of this one photo--which is, admittedly, not all that much evidence--I'm inclined to think boldly patterned blazers don't really need PS's all that much. A solid (or subtly patterned) blazer is (or appears to the eye as) an undifferentiated mass of color across most of the torso. On that kind of blazer, a PS can be a welcome, subtle break from the color's strong monotony. I think this is why PS wearers sometimes come to feel as if a jacket is strangely empty w/o one.

A blazer with a bold pattern (or, I suppose, color) doesn't have that problem. If anything, it's the opposite: there's too much going on and everything else in the outfit needs to be toned down accordingly. In Foodie's pic, the PS feels to me like an unwelcome interruption of the blazer's pattern rather than a pleasant surprise.

Basically, my wokring theory is that what in a tame blazer is a nice little sliver of variety becomes a distraction, a feeling of too-much-ness, in a bolder blazer.

Comment

A pretty casual day by me since I wasn't going further than the mailbox today. I do cheat sometimes when I'm wearing boots by wearing athletic socks underneath. They're much thicker than dress socks so they help the boots fit more snug.

shirt - JCF $20-$25
      pants - JCF $30
      jacket - BRF $50

Comment

@Vicious with every post you make me want to go get the watch lol and in the close up I like the jacket pattern.

Comment

If someone can tell me HOW to post images so they don't expand like this, that would be awesome.

Quick after work photo

Here's texture of shirt, unfortunately the sharkskin texture on the vest didn't come through.

Shirt is CT puppy tooth
          Vest is Dragon Inside Midnight Blue Sharkskin
          Pants are tip top tailors that I forced myself to wear due to terrible weather
          Last edited by shad0w4life; January 10, 2013, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
            If someone can tell me HOW to post images so they don't expand like this, that would be awesome.
            Images must be resized prior to upload to photobucket. Other hosts like imgur allow for crop/resize after upload.

Comment

You can resize photos after upload on Photobucket....
              Ben

Comment

@shadow, I like the top half, not so much the bottom. The fit looks excellent on the vest (which has been noted before) and I like the pattern of the shirt. The pants don't appear to go with the ensemble and appear that they could use some tailoring.
                "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

This is from yesterday:

Blazer - Brooks Brothers (thrifted)
                  Shirt & Tie - Frank & Oak
                  Chinos - Lands End Canvas
                  Shoes - AE Strands

Comment

MJS - I like the look. The F&O ties seem a bit thin for my taste so I can't sport them but it looks fine on you. I don't wear my walnut strands nearly enough. I need to start finding ways to incorporate them more.

Comment

Shirt - Frank and Oak
                      Pants - Bonobos
                      Sweater - BR (I messed it up a bit by washing it instead of dry cleaning)
                      Shoes - AE McTavish
                      Watch - Omega

Comment

Originally posted by s_crane View Post
                        @Vicious with every post you make me want to go get the watch lol and in the close up I like the jacket pattern.
                        Thanks. The watch cost $100-$110 I think from Macys. I'm going to end up returning the jacket. I like the pattern but don't like the fact that the sleeves are long on me so I have to fold it up to make it fit.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          You can resize photos after upload on Photobucket....
                          Yes I know that can be done but the IMG tags on the forums just expand the image to massive sizes, in my post above that's supposed to be a 320x240 size picture. Where foodies tend to stay nice and small.

@ Greg_s I'm not a brown pants fan either what did you mean by tailoring? the length actually breaks over shoes quite well.
                          Last edited by shad0w4life; January 11, 2013, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
                            Yes I know that can be done but the IMG tags on the forums just expand the image to massive sizes, in my post above that's supposed to be a 320x240 size picture. Where foodies tend to stay nice and small.
                            shad0w4life, the image that you posted of your full outfit is 1024px × 768px. The image of the vest is 480px × 640px.

Vicious49, the jacket in your first picture is awful. On the other hand, I really like the Citizen watch. Great find. Your second outfit is the best that you've shared. My only nitpick is that the pants need tailoring. Nice Omega.

mjs2103, Nice and classic.

Comment

@shadow, they look like they could be taken in a bit. I know you work out a lot, but they look a bit baggy on your frame. Especially from the knee down. It also could just be the self-pic angle.
                              "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                                Vicious49, the jacket in your first picture is awful. On the other hand, I really like the Citizen watch. Great find. Your second outfit is the best that you've shared. My only nitpick is that the pants need tailoring. Nice Omega.
                                Hopefully you're talking about the pic with the BR jacket and not the Kensington jacket.

As far as the pants needing tailoring . . . I don't understand what I would have tailored. Here's a pic of the pants from different angles. They are the perfect length on me. What specifically would you request a tailor to do on these?

Comment

Working...
                                X