Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@benR, thanks! That jacket....drooling, dig the color and texture, pulling it off is tough, you did well...the problem i see would be getting proper level of contrast...like lighter earth tones would work well, a tie is similiar texture like wool or cotton, with darker tan shoes to balance it all out...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Comment

@benR - where the hell do you thrift all your stuff? I had a dream that I thrifted a jacket like this... and then I woke up.

Comment

@BenR, that jacket really shouldn't work on a man under 75 year old, but it does. Very nicely done.

Below are a couple of pics of today's "the commute's gonna be long and weird, better be flexible" outfit.

Jacket: Bonobos (I see that the shoulders are a little f'd on this. Meh, whatever, it's warm and soft and I like the color)

Shirt: BR (about 4years old I think-fits me better than any other BR shirt I've ever tried on; not sure what the difference is)

Sweater: BR merino

Jeans: Uniqlo (straight fit, I think)

Boots: Red Wing (most comfortable footwear I've ever owned)

Watch: Timex Weekender.

Comment

@Shomas...loving that jacket!

What we do in life echos throughout eternity.
          -Maximus

Comment

Excuse the goofy face. It was the only picture where I didn't have 2 chins.

Jacket-Banana Republic

Shirt, Tie, Jeans- Express

Chuckas (not shown)- Bass

Tie bar- The Tie Bar

This is the jacket I got shortned. Not perfect, but looks good enough.

-Maximus

Comment

@BenR: Thanks on the denim jacket. I had no idea if it was going to look good on me when I got it since it's so drastically different from anything I've worn before, but I really like it. Speaking of jackets, yours is pretty great. Can you list the names on your thrifted stuff (if/when you know it)? Enquiring minds would like to know. And if you're struggling to find a color combo to work with it, have you tried khakis?

@Shomas: What's that jacket made from? Moleskin? Cashmere? I really like it. I'm actually kind of ticked off that it's still in the 70's/80's here because I haven't gotten to wear much of my cold weather stuff. :-P BTW, maybe the BR shirt fits better because it's shrunk after 4 years of use. :-)

@Eyerman: The jacket looks like a good length. Have you considered taking it to a dry cleaner to have them re-press the lapel to roll to the second button?

Comment

I have had it pressed, but didn't even think about getting it to the 2nd button. Will have to do that. Three buttons make me look even shorter.

Just have to comment on the Thompson suit. Got it back from the tailors and excited to wear it next week Monday!

-Maximus

Comment

@Eyerman & Alan, thanks re. the jacket. It's 85% wool, 10% nylon, 5% cashmere. It's kind of camel hair-ish. It's very soft and I got a good deal on it during Bonobos' last post-Thanksgiving sale/meltdown.

The shirt actually fit me well right when I bought it. I think it may be an old iteration of a tailored fit or something. I generally don't like BR shirts because they don't fit me well and the patterns are too busy, but this one has worked. And it's obviously pretty durable.

@Eyerman, I second Alan regarding your jacket. I like the length, material and color, but with that high button stance, it's a bit suggestive of a lab coat.

Comment

Ha! At least I would look smart...might fool some people for a while.

-Maximus

Comment

@Eyerman I like 3 button suits with a vest (always with a vest) - it has a very old-school British type of feel. Couple that with some newer details or a more modern fit and finish and you could have a very slick ensemble there.

Alan's idea for rolling the second button is a pretty cool idea. If you don't like the look, can you roll the lapel back?

Comment

@scrambledpotato: Yes, you can absolutely undo it. It's just a matter of using a steam press to reshape it. It doesn't always work , but there's no harm in trying. I've had it done with 3 jackets. Two held the new roll really well, but the third seemed to snap back to it's old shape pretty quickly.

Comment

@Alan Like how quickly? Are we talking cartoon-like speed here? And if so, is there video?

Comment

LOL I dunno... I guess after a few weeks of sitting in the closet. I never wore it.

Comment

just threw everything on, so a little wrinkled in odd places

suit - THilfiger

Tie - BR

-Tie Bar - Tiebar

shoes, - Strand

watch - bulova marine star

shirt - CT

Comment

A backlog of comments now that I've had a time to catch up in the WIWT thread:

Jake101, Generally nice. You look good in that suit. Minor criticisms: I don't like the pairing of the tan Strands with such a dark shade of navy, the tie bar is high, and the tie is bland.

Eyerman, Perfect. Nice work.

BenR, I love the tweed with the chambray. I would wear the shit out of that jacket. I love it. The tie is not up to quality of the rest of this outfit.

BB, I like the suit. I'm not sure that the zipped jumper works.

MaxMan, Great all around. The outfit with the vest was the weakest; you would have looked better without a vest.

Alan, Looking good in the first outfit. I dislike the jean jacket in the second outfit. You're rocking those aviators.

Comment

Working...
                                X