Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for clogging up this thread lately, but I find that this really helps me judge combinations of color, texture, and so on. I've found a few things via thrift lately, like this silk jacket, that I am trying to figure out how to wear. The fit on these things isn't great, but before I invest in tailoring I want to know if I like it or not. It's kind of hard for me to figure that out without actually wearing it. This jacket's shoulders are a bit too big, but now that I have worn it, I think I like this type of look.

Comment

Posting your looks is what this thread is designed for, it isn't clogging!

Your look today is killer.

Comment

Nice combo BB. Personally I might target a darker belt to more closely match your shoes/watch band. Also nitpicking but pants seem a bit long for my taste.

My cocktail videos >

Comment

BB - It's tough to pass up a good deal, but it's worth being really picky about fit with thrifted items.

I think you're doing really well with color combos, but a poor fit can throw a wrench in the whole look.

Comment

Tdig, I think you're right on both counts. Thanks for the tips.

Nicholas, you're absolutely right. Fit is most important overall. Yet I think that for me (not everyone!) picking up a $5 jacket that's a bit oddly sized is helpful, because now I know that I'm on the lookout for something like this that will doubtless be more expensive -- but will be worth tailoring costs. I'm very much a concrete thinker, and so I can't look at a catalogue -- or even try things on in a store -- and know if I like it. The things I've posted here are things I'm "trying out," so now I can tailor them (or look for better replacements.) In short, I totally agree -- if it doesn't fit, it won't look very good. But I also need to know what I like enough to get fitted. Thrift helps me do that, I guess.

Comment

Also, I will get the things tailored that I like (and can be fixed) -- pinky swear.

Comment

Weekends are nice, aren't they? This has got to be one of the cuter things posted on this thread.

Comment

And, no, I'm not talking about my broom.

Comment

@BB That is a nice looking broom...some serious curves on her. On a side note, I like the outfit...pants could be slightly tapered but other than that spot on.

And yes she is adorable.

What we do in life echos throughout eternity.
                    -Maximus

Comment

Headed to do some shopping

Shirt: Gap

Jeans: Nudie's

Watch: Meister

Shoes: Adida's Samba (Special Edition)

Belt (Not pictured): BR

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
                      #StayDapper

Comment

Eyerman, thanks. She sure is an adorable broom.

Sdot, how do you make composite photos like that? Is it a particular app, or an image posting site? I've seen nicholascrawford post them, too. Great idea.

Comment

@BB yea I use an app I downloaded called PhotoScape. Lotta cool features

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
                          #StayDapper

Comment

Wow BB, is that your "hanging around the house on the weekend" outfit? More power to you and other dads who dress well at home, but this father of 2-year-old twins can't comprehend dressing so nice on weekends without ruining my nice shirts, chinos, etc.!

Comment

First date:

Shirt: Merona

Sweater: H&M

Jacket: Thrifted

Pants: Levi 514 (not pictured)

Shoes: Bass (walnut, not pictured)

"The principle can be established that for a man who does not cheat, what he believes to be true must determine his action."
                              -- Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus

Comment

Matt, I've got two as well, but not twins. I can't even imagine how you do it. On weekends I have my yardwork/exercise/chores clothes, usually tshirt and athletic shorts. But then I try to get some pants on for a while every day. My non-yardwork outift is usually jeans or chinos and an OCBD. Still feels very comfortable to me, I guess. And they get crap on them sometimes, but I've become a master of stain removal. With twins, though, I'd be happy to get a shower once a weekend!

Redsubway, looks great. How'd it go?

Comment

Working...
                                X