Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right, that is a bit of a bind. Clearly the solution is to surgically become shorter. May I suggest removing your lower two ribs?

... on a slightly more serious note, Hermes ties are too awesome not to wear, short or otherwise. Perhaps try an even smaller tie knot so as to get more length in the blade? Or just wear it the way you have it, it's really not bad as it is.

... and to detour off the serious track again, how old are you exactly? "College Graduation"? Perhaps you're just preternaturally young looking.

Comment

How did I never consider rib removal! It was staring me in the face the whole time!

I'll try a regular 4 in hand, just feel a little strange doing it with a spread collar.

And 22. One year out (law school). But yes, I'll forever look 16.

Comment

If you look at some of the fits at SF, the prevailing view is that FIH is appropriate for any sort of collar, thoughts here notwithstanding. I personally agree with the SF mentality on the issue.

Comment

@BB no they're long sleeve, just rolled up. My work is very laid back (no dress code whatsoever) so I tend to roll up my sleeves, especially if I'm wearing a shirt that needs to be tucked in. Trying out blazers/sport coats this fall should be interesting here

@Kenneth thanks , I guess I've read too much on SF and expect that there are plenty of things I'm missing

Comment

Bruschetta, I am now in full agreement. Cuffless I shall proceed.

Kenneth -- good point. I'm at the point now (after having a newborn this spring) where I can actually spend more time outside, which will begin to help with skin tone. And yes, the jeans need some hemming.

Comment

Hon, is that a 2.5" tie? Proportions look great.

Too bad about the length. How short is the back blade? Maybe a tie bar would hide it if you're worried about it showing?

Comment

Hon, that is a great shirt. I'm hopeful to get a Ratio one of these days. Maybe next year.

Comment

Ratio shirts are so awesome!!!

It's actually 3" I think. Or a tiny bit more. Pretty standard width.

http://www.primermagazine.com/wp-con...Tie-widths.jpg

Comment

Long day ahead.

Comment

@BB Love the shirt/tie combo with the light grey. Think the suit is slightly too big, but lookin good. A slimmer bottom would "suit" you well.

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
                      #StayDapper

Comment

I agree, SDot -- the shoulders are a bit big, and the legs are billowy. I thrifted this one, so it fit well enough for me to wear it, but in the long run I would like to get something more sleek. But I do like the colors, I admit.

Comment

i think a nice taper would look good on that pant leg.

My cocktail videos >

Comment

To taper the pant leg, would you need a tailor, or could you take it to a dry cleaner for a minor alteration? I know it's a little more than hemming, but is it that big of a job?

Comment

@xxerezz - I'm in the exact same boat as you re: wearing a sport coat to work. I've never had one and think it's about time to incorporate one into my wardrobe, but even a super-casual cotton brown or navy sport coat would have my fellow employees asking, "Are you going to a meeting?" or "Wow, what are you all dressed up for?" :-\

Comment

You know, I hadn't really considered tapering these pants only because I was thinking about them as a sort of stopgap. But you're right, I should do it. My tailor only charges $20. I got some seersucker pants tapered earlier this summer and it was easy as pie.

Comment

Working...
                                X