Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a grenadine tie, yes (from the knottery -- got it on sale earlier this summer). It's a hopsack jacket, as well. Is it the buttondown collar of the shirt that is the problem? Or the fabric? Too casual with this sort of tie, or something?

Comment

@BB For me, I've never been a fan of wearing button-down collars with textured ties and a coat. It just seems like a lot of details right around your neck, you know? You got the texture of the tie with the knot, then the buttons, then the lapels. It's kind of all vying for attention, especially if you throw in a pocket square.

It's not a terrible look, don't get me wrong, but for me it's just tipping the scale a bit into the 'busy' side.

Comment

@BB I too avoid button downs with jackets. Maybe it would fly with a blazer but definitely not a suit. It makes it a casual look which defeats the purpose of wearing a suit + tie.

Comment

I definitely agree with the size of the tie knot, I don't like large knots in any circumstance.

I also don't have a problem with button-down collars with jackets. It is a more casual shirt, sure, but unless you're going full business formal it really doesn't matter at all. I've seen many well-suited individuals with button-down collars. This is even moreso if the suit isn't wool but rather a more casual variety.

Comment

@BB -- I don't have a problem with buttondown shirts with jackets (even suits... actually wearing that exactly today). I just feel as though a buttondown collar _with a tie_ and a jacket/suit is a bit too confusing, particularly if the suit is more formal (wool) and not seersucker, cotton, etc. or something more casual. Overall, buttondown tells me casual; a fine wool jacket/suit tells me more formal.

Nice pickup on the grenadine tie though -- I've been eying one from Sid Mashburn for a while; almost pulled the trigger on the Knottery one, but went on a clothing-purchase fast for a bit around when they came out.

Comment

To clarify, I was wearing it with a mid-blue hopsack sport coat, so it was pretty casual. But I do think scrambledpotato has a point -- the grenadine has a circular pattern, as does the hopsack, and with the button down that might be too many circles to look at all near my face. I can see both Kenneth and Hornsup's points of view -- that is, I think button downs do generally look better in casual outfits.

Hornsup -- I got the brown grenadine, too, in that same sale -- I'm wearing it with the blue linen-cotton suit on the previous page. Too far away to tell, but it's nice. I hear they will have more blue and red in stock soon. I could be happy wearing nothing but grenadines, I think.

I'm glad there wasn't universal horror at a black tie.

Comment

Ok my first attempt. I can already tell I'm going to need a lot of practice to get a decent picture that shows everything well

https://picasaweb.google.com/108238498162708479453/Wiwt02?authkey=Gv1sRgCITJhLu50v-ClgE#5792303033352338578

Feel free to critique.

Comment

One of those "this really didn't work out" days. I was going for casual Wednesday, but I think I got a bit too casual on the bottom for the jacket to look right. Is that what it is? I'm also not sure I'm doing the cuff thing right... Good thing I'll be stuck in my office all day today.

Comment

BB - like you said...top looks good, bottom not so much. Are those boot cut jeans? Bottoms rolled up look a little too "flary" (yea, i made that word up).

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
                    #StayDapper

Comment

They're 505s, which are supposed to be tapered a bit. Maybe they just aren't right for cuffing. But you're totally right about the flaringishness.

Comment

I know you're all waiting with baited breath for the thrilling conclusion of the "cuff saga," so here goes: it looks much better uncuffed. The end.

Xxerexx, yeah, it's easier to get a feel for color if it's in natural light. I like the Strands, by the way. Are those short sleeves?

Comment

A little boring, but my new drivers have not arrived yet, and my old ones are way too destroyed to wear. So it had to be a black belt day. Oh well. Again, this is taken using a webcam, so its a little bit super terrible quality. And yes, the tie's a little short. It happens when you're my height.

Not pictured: Addidas Sambas.

Very much pictured: Awesome new haircut (you're welcome for not getting it too short...)

Oh, and the shirt's my other Ratio, by the way. I really like their pinpoints. A lot thicker than I'm used to from pinpoints, so I find that I can wear them casually, but not close to as thick as oxford cloth, and it almost (but not quite) has a slight sheen. Juuuust enough that it looks fabulous with a blazer, or even worn unbuttoned, casually with a suit.

And a close up of the tie pattern:

Comment

I know this post will paint me as the stodgy traditionalist of the forum that I am, but...

BB - Hem those jeans! The point of nice dark denim is that they look like a perfect blend of formal and casual, but the rolled up cuffs just ruin the whole look. That said, everything else is perfect. I like the white shirt paired with the camel sportcoat, though you could stand to be a little more tan to show more contrast.

xxerexx - What's to critique? Your fit is very nice. I don't like that shirt color, but that's just my personal preference and is no way even remotely objective. Perhaps line up your belt buckle with your shirt placket.

Hon - Button that collar button, whippersnapper! I also think your tie knot could be more adroitly tied and the blade itself could be lower: the tip should be about to the middle of the belt buckle if the tie is that width.

/old fart

Comment

Yeah, the whole length thing has been really frustrating to me. I'm very tall and, as a result, regular length ties really can't make it to halfway down my belt buckle.

Now, this wouldn't be the end of the world, but, over the years, my father passed down a number of his old Hermes ties to me. High School Graduation, 21st Birthday, College Graduation, that sort of stuff. And they're gorgeous, and really hard not to wear. Plus, thetiebar, while super awesome, has a very limited supply of ties in both XL and 2.5" (which is the width I prefer to wear; what all my non Hermes ties are). (Actually, one of the reasons I often unbutton my shirt is to add an extra half-inch to the tie length) So I'm a little stuck. Suggestions?

Comment

hon140, I agree with Kenneth's comments. Button the shirt, and the tie should be longer.

BB, I have experimented every which way with cuffs and have come to the conclusion that they're a horrible idea. Cuffs on denim ruin outfits.

Comment

Working...
                                X