Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The difference between a $99 suit and a $5000 suit

In one graphic:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/09/05/160607575/the-difference-between-a-99-suit-and-a-5-000-suit-in-one-graphic

h/t to the fantastic Dave Pell daily newsletter, The Next Step.

The NYT article referenced was also very good...

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Not bad.

Trying to distill all that information down into a couple of factoids like that breeds some obvious inconsistencies. For instance, there are lots and lots of RTW suits that are half and fully canvassed that use high quality fabrics from England and Italy, just as not all MTM suits are made from high quality fabrics.

Not that i have a problem with people trying to simplify the convoluted world of men's suiting for purpose of educating the non-enthusiast, it's just that the way it was done in this instance misleads the consumer into thinking that a MTM suit from, say, Indochino, will be of higher quality than a RTW suit from Hickey Freeman.

Comment

Agreed. Price is a very rough guide to quality. Brand names are too. Even one factory's idea of quality construction is another's reject. Ultimately, ask someone who knows!

Comment

Sounds like the NYT article is blowing the doors off the topic...I've seen menswear pop up as a topic all over in its wake. Good news for all of us, and especially good news for someone who started a menswear blog in the past year or two.

Comment

Yeah, but what those of us on this site really need to know is the difference between a $250 suit (Tommy Hilfiger, Lauren by Ralph Lauren) and a $500 suit (J. Crew) or $600-900 suit(low-end Brooks Bros, mid-range Suit Supply, etc).

And given the discounting and sales, how to spot the differences in quality.

Comment

I still have trouble determining how to "feel" the difference in a canvassed suit. I have a cheap suit that I assume isn't canvassed, but when I go into J. Crew or Nordstrom's I know the people there won't have the foggiest idea about what I'm asking about when I ask about if a suit is canvassed. Anyone know what I should feel for when it comes to canvassing?

Comment

IMO, most of the little details don't really matter. The two biggest noticeable differences are the quality of the cloth and the construction being at least half / fully canvassed.

Comment

Working...
                X