Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beacon Boots vs. Desert Boots

Sebago vs. Clarks

My Sperry's are finally showing some wear and tear and I need new shoes that fill that casual void. I have experience with Clarks and I like them; I had Wallabees in high school. But I know both shoes are highly touted here, so I'm wondering which you guys think would be a better bet heading into the northeast fall and winter?

Thanks duderinos

I don't think DBs--or anything with a crepe sole--are gonna get you through winter. That sole gets real slippery.

Comment

The Beacon's would definitely be better in hard snow. Might I suggest the Lighthouse style, though. That Sebago shoe has a lower profile over the Beacon.

Bean boots are another good winter option.

Comment

beacon boots definitely better through fall. DB's are cold, not very tall, have a crepe sole, and are meant for....um... the desert. not snow. neither are a real winter shoe, especially in the the northeast, but I'd go with beacon's if you're deciding between these two.

you could do something like this if you're looking for a compromise between a winter boot and a beacon.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/52289?feat=506794-GN2

or if you have a boot to wear around in the winter, then get whatever you please. I personally rock DB's most of the time in the fall, but not once it starts getting to cold, wet or snowy

Comment

Go with the beacons, I live in Boston, and take my word and experience, you DO NOT want to be walking around outside with DB on. You will slip and slide all over the place. you should even invest in some duck boots if possible

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
          I>0<I

Comment

I guess I should have specified..having had Wallabees, I know DB's won't be good for the winter. I've slipped plenty of times to know the soles aren't meant for the weather. I do have winter boots. I'm mainly looking for something for the fall, but if Beacons can be worn in winter, I guess that's just an added bonus.

Comment

O well if its mainly for the fall, go with the DB's, but if you want a nice cross over shoe stay with the beacons. Either way they are both New England favorites...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
              I>0<I

Comment

Agreed. Can't go wrong with either. Got my Beacons from Bonobos. Use Gilt+JungleCents+NewEmailCode to score a pair or 2 for seriously cheap.

If you have a Nordstrom Rack nearby, they usually have DBs for cheap... ~$60.

-Glen

Comment

I have a pair of the DBs and like them quite a bit, but I'm looking for something to wear during San Francisco's rainy winter. I am on the verge of picking up the Beacons and I'm glad to see they're getting some love here.

Comment

I have both of the shoes but I haven't worn much of either yet. Wore the DB today with some white denim and it looked pretty snazzy. Looking forward to incorporating both of them into the rotation once short season ends.

Comment

Is there any [noticeable] difference b/w the regular Clarks DB vs. the Clark's Bushacre Chukka? They look nearly the same except for a darker sole on the Chukka.

Comment

Chern, I believe the Bushacre's have a rubber sole as opposed to the crepe sole on the DBs. What do you guys think about the Beacon in grey? http://www.amazon.com/SEBAGO-Beacon-...=pd_sbs_shoe_4 I'm not sure about the 2 tones, but I think they might look nice with jeans, since the top would be covered anyways, and they can be had for as low as $35.

Comment

Another option is the Sebago Fairhaven. I just picked up a pair for fall/winter and I love them.

http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:152639/sku:20653/sebago-fairhaven-boot-mens/brown/tan/?cm=GLOBAL%20SEARCH%3A%20KEYWORD%20SEARCH

http://www.proprpostur.com/2011/03/f...ot-sebago.html

Comment

Working...
                          X