Red Wing Iron Ranger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Wing Iron Ranger

I have a pair of Sorels but am looking for a smaller and more sleek boot that will be okay through a canadian winter. Has anyone had experience with these? Or can anyone suggest other boots that may be an option.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/red-wing...in=shoppingbag

I have not owned them but from what I understand they are excellent and quality is unimpeachable.

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

They are hands down my favorite shoe. I cannot say enough about how much they are worth the price tag. The main Dappered page may have something to say about them next week...

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Will they be okay in the snow?

Comment

The sole isn't fantastic on ice. Beware of that. And you need thick socks but I wear mine all winter in MN. Just not before they salt the sidewalks. Like any leather shoe, salt is your enemy. However, mink oil does wonders for protecting the shoe.

Comment

I've heard of problems with their leather sole... If you want a sturdy beater boot that can take snow, is there any way around this?

Comment

@greg_s where in MN do you live? I never knew you were from here. Or at least it didn't register.

Comment

@browncow, the iron rangers don't have a leather sole, I believe they are cork with a rubber bottom.

I think there is an important distinction between nice looking fall/winter boots and good inclement weather winter boots. Canadian/upper north American winters call for ugly ass winter boots some days. There's no getting around it.

@lakecharles, Minneapolis man. I love the Twin Cities. Been here for 7 years now and genuinely don't want to live anywhere else.

Comment

I have the sorels for those really bad days, just looking for something that will hold up well when the snow isn't a foot deep

Comment

I found a pair in Amber Harness in my size for right at $200 last week, and I spent about a half-hour last night oiling them with mink oil and a half-hour tonight thoroughly coating them with Obenauf's Heavy-Duty Leather Protector.

I CAN. NOT. WAIT. to break these masterpieces in. I feel like I just bought my first new car or something.

The price on those Hawthorne Muleskinner Iron Rangers on sale through the Nordstrom site ($180) is obscenely good, and a quick look around online tells me that you can treat that leather in a variety of ways to get the color and water-resistance exactly the way you want them. I very nearly bought those instead of the Amber Harness.

Comment

Thanks bulldoggery, I'll pull the trigger. Would you recommend sizing down a half or a whole size?

Comment

I sized down a half since I usually wear decently thick socks with them.

Comment

I went down 1/2 size from my typical dress shoe size. I wear an 8.5 in Iron Rangers, a 9 in dress shoes (and most boots), and a 9.5 in Nikes.

I sold athletic shoes (at Oshman's, then at Finish Line) for eight years, and I got unreasonably into learning about them. Thus, if you have favorite brands/styles of those, I might be able to give you a more "personalized" suggestion on Iron Ranger sizing.

Comment

@Bulldoggery, I immediately thought about you when I saw that deal on the Iron Rangers. Glad you held out and were finally able to get your American made boots for less than retail.

Comment

I have the Red Wing Beckman (Gentlemen Traveler), nearly the same boot and I love it. Wore it through a great lakes winter last year and kicked shit the whole time. See: "Shit Kicker"

They take forever to break in, are tough as nails, and look great. I love mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X