First Suit Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Suit Question

Hey, I had a question about buying my first suit.

My problem is that I don't know what size I am. The last time I wore a suit was high school dances and they were hardly well-fitting.

I was hoping to buy the suit online to take advantage of better prices. If I just broke out a tape measure and took my measurements is that accurate enough to count on for a proper size?

I realize I have to bring it to a tailor after the fact but nailing the size off the rack is the first step, right?

Any help would be much appreciated!

My best recommendation would be to grab a friend who wears suits and wears them well, head to a store that sells suits, and try on a bunch. I walked into the Hickey Freeman store downtown, and the man said, "You look like slim cut 38R. We only have one suit for you." He knew his stuff and was honest. You might not have an HK, but even a Macy's, Banana Republic, or H&M will be better start than nothing.

When I was younger and smaller, I walked into a Men Swearhouse and was told that I'm a 40R. I was swimming in that and didn't even know.

Comment

I think you should buy it in person with a knowledgeable salesperson for your first suit. You might be able to measure yourself, but I would recommend getting a tailor or at least another person to help you.

One other option, that in fact, is probably the best way: go to a department store and try some on to determine your size. Read some of Joe's articles about fit, and focus on a good shoulder and chest match. Then once you know your size, it's a lot easier to order online.

Comment

I'm in a similar situation and am looking to buy my first suit since high school. However I'm fairly confident I'm a 36S and I know that there aren't any Banana Republic's/JCrews that carry a 36S in stock within several hours. I normally just order things online and then return them to a store if they don't fit. I was thinking that Indochino might be a good option for me?

Comment

Thanks for the input. I figured in person is probably the way to go, even if I don't end up buying from there.

Comment

@HU, I'd strongly advise against the MTM route for your first suit.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

@greg_s Why not?

Comment

It's fraught with the potential for an ill-fitting nightmare. I'm sure some people have done it successfully, but I would find a good OTR suit first so you know what fits properly.

Comment

@greg_s I haven't found one single suit that fitted me well OTR. If I needed a suit right now, I'm pretty sure MTM would be my only option.

At least I'm getting a bit bigger (I am now a true 34S, woot!), so this might change in the future.

Comment

@Jessy, fair enough. I guess I meant for folks that are newer to style and the world of suiting as a whole. You are not new to either of these things, and I would thus assume you would have better luck.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys! Would it help if I went to a tailor to get all of my measurements for a MTM suit or would the safer bet still be OTR? I'm not pushed for time so could afford to have a remake of an Indochino without any trouble.

Comment

You should try on a dozen suits at minimum from several different stores so you can begin to get a sense of what you like before making a purchase online or in-store, MTM or OTR.

Comment

Working...
                        X