Daily Hook-up Indochino vs. Factory Thompson suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Hook-up Indochino vs. Factory Thompson suit

Hello! This is my first topic. I unfortunately had to go to a funeral a couple of weeks ago, and I realized none of my dark suits fit quite right (they're too big). I want a Navy suit, but I could go Gray too.

Which Navy suit should I get? Indochino has that $320 deal with shirt and tie plus $75 tailoring reimbursement (http://www.indochino.com/product/The...tial-Navy-Suit). My seamstress can definitely make the suit fit correct for $75. Or I could go Factory Thompson for a little over $200, but I'm on the hook for tailoring, which we'll say is another $75 (http://www.jcrew.com/search/searchNa...7&bmUID=jC4hjI.).

So, Indochino for $320 or Factory Thompson for ~$284? Also, I'm not sure if Daily Hookup charges tax, but J. Crew definitely does, so the price might be actually closer.I consider the free shirt and tie from Indochino just to be gravy, and we won't factor that in.

I can't afford to go Suit Supply, but I could see that being my second suit in the Gray (want a nice 3 piece)somewhere down the road. I have a nice Canali, and that thing cost me quite a bit several years ago, but its so big on me. I guess that's what I get for getting in shape.

On a side note, I like the Blue Shark Skin: http://www.indochino.com/product/the-blue-sharkskin-suit

Is this suit appropriate for an all-around suit? Like funerals and job interviews?

Cheers,

-Eddy

I guess your choice is easy as it appears the Navy Thompson is not available online.

With that being said I still think a charcoal suit is a better choice if you are only going to own one suit.

Comment

Its still there, you just have to select color on the jacket/pants page.

Is charcoal appropriate for funerals? Sadly I'm at the age where I'll probably be going to funerals more often than weddings.

What's your opinion on the quality of the two suits?

Comment

My opinion is that the Indochio is at least half-canvassed and I'm not sure about the Thompson. My guess is that since it's J.Crew Factory, it will be a step down from their mainline suits and will be fused, so the Indochino should drape and hold up better, and will probably be made of a bit better fabric.

Comment

The Dork,

Thank you for your input. Do you think "The Essential Prince of Wales" (http://www.indochino.com/product/The...-of-Wales-Suit) or the Shark Skin (http://www.indochino.com/product/the...sharkskin-suit) would be appropriate for funerals?

-Eddy

Comment

The PoW is a pretty classy pattern. I'd get it above sharkskin.

and yes, the JCF Thompsons are fused.

Comment

Jordan, his plan is to wear the suit to funerals. Don't you think that the Prince of Wales pattern's a bit too cheerful?

evil-e, there are really only two suits appropriate for a funeral: black, if you're the funeral director, or dark charcoal, if you're paying your respects.

Comment

Hi Bruschetta,

I kind of wanted an all purpose though. Would navy be okay? The Charcoal looks too black for me, and I wanted to avoid looking like a Reservoir Dog on other occasions.

Thanks,

-Eddy

Comment

You can wear navy to a funeral. I mean, I'm seeing girls going to funerals in what they would wear to the club...the rules are being broken in a bad way.

If you wear a subdued solid-color suit, you will be more respectful than most.

I believe Indochino is fused. Basically anything in the bottom price point is fused.

Comment

Popular subject: http://threads.dappered.com/topic/in...ctory-thompson

Comment

If he's only planning on attending funerals then yes I would get the navy over the PoW. But i'd hate to think the only time im busting out a suit is for a funeral. I equate wearing a suit with positive energy, I wouldn't want to bring that down.

Now I feel kinda bad and want to mail this guy some beer or something.

Comment

At 320 vs 284 I'd go with the Indochino but the JCF is on sale for 207.50 with code right now. This makes it a hard decision.

5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

Hi Jordan,

No beer mailing needs to be done, but you can buy me one if we run into each other. I have a gray Canali 3 button that is too big for me and a Charcoal Pinstripe Double Breasted from my Junior year in HS that is also too big! I'm 37 and have dropped from a 42 to 38 in jacket size, and my waist has gone down from a ~34" (probably vanity-sized too) to a 30". I want to buy something that will look sharp on me, and maybe next year buy a second suit. I witnessed all kinds styles of dress at the last funeral I went to, so I felt okay wearing grey pants, blazer, white shirt, and black tie.

-Eddy

Comment

The Thompson is something you could easily try on if you live near a Factory store, or you could order it and return it pretty painlessly versus an Indochino order/reorder process. I think the Thompson is a clear winner if you need that color in your wardrobe.

Comment

Hi Redford, I factored in the cost of tailoring for the JCF. SO 207.50 + $75.

Thanks!

-Eddy

Comment

Working...
                              X