Living abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living abroad

I recently moved abroad and one of the local benefits here is that I can get custom made suits, shirts and pants for extraordinarily cheap prices. As I go about choosing a tailor (there are many to pick from), what should I be looking for?

I'm assuming you're not in the "Western World" if it is extraordinarily cheap. Remember that, depending on where you're living, Americans may be heavily outnumbered by other European countries so any tailor familiar with Western styles may be more familiar with some European styles - and they can be a lot different than the American take on European styles, if you know what I mean. Or worse, you may get the local take on what "fits".

So, the most important thing - Find one other Westerners have had good experience with AND make sure you get the opportunity to see what they bought and how it fit. I have colleagues who took advantage of access to such tailors, whereas I shopped at the local malls ("designer" brands, off the rack) and just had things tailored to fit, and felt like I ended up with higher quality, better fit, for a cheaper price.

Comment

Where do you live? I'm hoping to live abroad somewhere next summer. (Cheap custom suits would be a nice plus, haha)

Comment

If you're in southeast Asia, make sure you don't go on price alone. Ask the locals about how long different suits will last -- you don't want them falling apart after a year, which is what happened to a friend of mine.

Comment

Find someone from your local consulate or embassy and ask them them where they all buy their suits. 10 years ago, my parents picked up a tip for Rajawongse in Bangkok while waiting for me at the airport.

Comment

I'm living in the Middle East, specifically Kuwait. High luxury, low prices - gotta love oil money I guess. I've been recommended a tailor by a coworker but I'm waiting to see how his suits look. So far he's had them for a few years and they haven't fallen apart. I don't really know what I'm looking at beyond that, but the price isn't really a big deal if they end up becoming tattered in a few years. Trying to switch my wardrobe over to cottons and linens... triple digits almost every day is brutal.

Thanks to all for your advice!

Comment

Seersucker is awesome in those temperatures. I found it more comfortable than linen because it dried quicker - I convinced myself that you can't get used to being hot, you can just get used to being sweaty. I lived on the other side of the Gulf though, and I think it is more humid than in Kuwait. (referring to seersucker shirts, not suits)

My guess is in Kuwait, you'll find nice European fabrics with almost zero cost in labor to put it together (it won't be a Kuwaiti doing the work). As long as the guy's work is good, you should be able to get some great stuff.

Comment

Working...
              X