Need Advice - Basic Clothing Care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advice - Basic Clothing Care

I wore a very relaxed style during college (hoodies/levis/occasional button down) and I have recently started to care about my style. I have started to buy quality denim/shoes/shirts in my quest to have a more "grown up" look but I don't want to be counter productive by ignoring basic care techniques. Most questions I found answers to by searching past threads but I do have a few lingering..

Shirts - Top button only when hanging?

T-shirts - Best fold technique to reduce wrinkles?

Jeans/chinos/dress pants - Hang or fold? Best fold technique?

Laundry - Best detergent on the market?

And one last question, what is your favorite/best clothing care tip you can give to a newbie?

Thank you in advance

Here's how you fold a polo shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRYBzfmLuYU

Comment

"And one last question, what is your favorite/best clothing care tip you can give to a newbie?"

Don't over-clean or over-dry clothes. Wash with less detergent than you probably think, at cooler temperatures than you probably think. Don't over-dry, and consider hang-drying for some. Do the minimal cleaning and drying to get the results you want - your clothes will last longer.

"Shirts - Top button only when hanging?"

Versus what? Buttoning more? Buttoning none? I never thought about it - does it matter?

Comment

Hang dry. I do it for all my polos and shirts (unless I'm trying to shrink something), as well as my denim (when I wash it!). I used to ignore buttoning the top button of my shirts but I realized it would kind of pull the collars down and out (esp. when I'm hang-drying shirts). Buttoning the top button or two helps maintain the shape.

Detergent - I personally use the hypoallergenic unscented stuff, but for denim/colored clothes I've heard great things about woolite dark.

Comment

Working...
        X