Clarks Desert Boot break-in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarks Desert Boot break-in?

I bought a pair of Clark's classic desert boots in-store last weekend and will need to break them in since they're currently really narrow, pressing up against the sides of my feet. Even though I usually buy 10.5 or 11 I bought a size 9.5 for these since the 10s were way too loose around the heel and the toes felt just as cramped. However, since I can't really wear them outside (if I do I won't be able to return them) I'm forced to break them in in the house. I currently have a stubbed toe that's affected by putting the boots on (too much pressure) so have to wait for that to heal fully before I break them in. Given how uncomfortable they currently are, how long can I expect to wear them before they start conforming to my feet? If they're that uncomfortable now, should I just return them? I'm just worried that I'll end up with an ill-fitting pair of boots that i won't be able to return. Up until now I've subscribed to the notion that if a pair of boots or shoes don't feel right in the store, they're not a good fit for my feet, but after wearing the Cole Haan Paul chukka boots for a few days my feet are finally getting used to them (although I have to wear thinner socks for them to fit properly), so I'm willing to give the Clarks a chance.

Also, what kind of socks do you guys usually wear with these? I've been wearing navy cotton crew socks with most of my shoes for the last few years but am finding that they're too thick for most of my new shoes (PF Flyers, CH Pauls, Clarks). Do most of you just wear the thin dress socks all the time, even with casual footwear?

It's really a lot better to have a shoe a little loose than a little tight. I didn't really size down in my desert boots and they fit perfectly. (I wear 9.5 sneakers and 9 in dress shoes, my Clarks are sz. 9). I also have a pair of Cole Haan shoes and found them to be sized like Nikes. Even though they are dress shoes, I had to get a pair in 9.5. Tried a size 9 and it killed my feet.

I consider the desert boots to be real casual and usually wear them with cotton crew socks. Occasionally I'll wear thinner socks.

Comment

I think you sized down too much. I called Clark's and asked them how much they suggested sizing down. The guy recommended half a size. I ordered 8.5 and they fit me perfectly. The only break in I had was around the top where they would rub against my leg but that got iced after about 2 or 3 wears.

Comment

Matt, I tried on the DB's in 2 sizes: My normal size (9) and a size down (8.5). I ended up buying them as 9's, but they are a little big and are slightly loose in the heel. I just tighten up the laces a bit and wear thicker socks.

The 8.5 was a better fit in length, but was just too narrow for me and a little tight in the toes. I wasn't sure if the toe box would loosen up over time or not, so just said F it and bought my regular size.

(For reference, I'm either a 9D or 8.5E in Allen Edmonds 5 last)

Comment

Matt - I got the Cole Haan Paul chukkas in a 9 and bought the desert boots in an 8.5. Both fit me perfectly.

Comment

I tried on the Clark's in both the 9 and the 9.5 (I wear 10 in sneakers and 9.5 in AE). The 9 was good in length, but waaaay too tight in the toes. I bought the 9.5 and just make sure I tie them tightly and I'm good to go. I was considering getting those heel grips to try to tighten them up, but have worn them several more times and they're fine, at least for now. Are they going to stretch at all? That was my concern with getting the bigger size.

Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Matt - Like stated in many other replies. I wear a size 12.5 - 13, I bought a pair in a size 12 and they are a tad big on me with casual socks, in the winter when I wear thicker wool socks they fit me much better.

Comment

Thanks for all the input, guys. I think I will indeed go back to the store and exchange the 9.5s for 10s. Tried wearing them around the house tonight and they're just too tight (as in wincing as I'm walking tight - not good!).

Comment

Working...
                X