dyeing clothes - anyone tried it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dyeing clothes - anyone tried it?

I've been going back and forth between buying the brown GAP denim jacket, or a Filson ranch jacket, or neither. In truth, it would be silly of me to buy a jean jacket because I already own one that fits well and is extremely comfortable. The problem with the one I own is that thrifters can't be choosers, and the color is a dated-looking, faded blue.

I got to thinking that maybe I can bring it back to life again by dyeing it darker. But I have almost zero experience with dyeing - not even tie-dyeing - and I was wondering if anyone has any tips, tricks, or advice.

Ben

I have dyed faded uniform pieces with Rit dye to get them back to what they used to be. It worked when used as directed, the color eventually rinsed out of the wash machine and my fingers, and the shirts got a little darker. I didn't realize that I would have to do it twice or more to get a really dark tone. Rit has a denim color, but I bet it would take a lot of dye for a denim jacket considering the weight.

Comment

Well... I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Dyeing right now - trying to get it brown, so I've got it in dark brown dye with a little orange mixed in to balance the blue that's already there.

Ben

Comment

Definitely report back with the results! The reason I clicked on the thread is that I have been considering dyeing a vintage levis jean jacket that is a dated stonewash blue that I also got thrifting.

Comment

The thing is finished - and the attempt was reasonably successful. In any event, the jacket is no longer stonewash blue. I just took the jacket out of the dryer and it isn't quite dry yet, but I will take a picture in a little bit. You will have to wait in suspense a little while longer.

For reference, here is the before:

Ben

Comment

Aaaand after:

It didn't really turn "brown" but it did turn a dark greyish indigo with brown undertones. To my surprise, elements like the red Levi's tag, the stitching, etc., didn't seem to be affected by the dye. The overall effect looks like a factory distressed finish. I'm sure you could get a less distressed-looking finish if you used an indigo or denim-colored dye.

It wasn't what I was expecting but it's still loads better than stonewash.

For what it's worth, I basically followed the dyeing instructions straight off the backs of the packages. I got two colors, as I mentioned above - dark brown and orange, both liquid Rit Dyes. I used about half the brown and a quarter of the orange, soaked the jacket in a plastic 5 gallon bucket with hot water and dye for about an hour, then rinsed it in cold water and washed it in the washing machine.

Ben

Comment

I think that looks pretty excellent, Ben. Nice work man.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Ben, that's really awesome! I like the color quite a bit. I wouldn't have been brave enough to go with an orange and think it would turn out nicely!

Comment

BenR, I apologize for being a negative Nancy, but I find that jacket to be fairly ugly. It certainly represents the rural Montana/Utah/Idaho style if that's what you're going for. This is the first look you've shared that I can't get behind.

That being said, the dye job looks pretty good. The trick will be to see if the dye runs when you sweat, are rained upon, and etc.

Comment

Nice job BenR. I have the same jacket, was going to put it in the donation bag, but if I can turn it into dark wash blue type, I might keep it.

Comment

You may want to try this if you want to actually dye it brown:

http://www.ritdye.com/store/laundry-...-remover-group

Comment

That would be a good idea, chetsteadman, but there are several posts on that site where a mod says that the color remover doesn't work on indigo, which is used in jean dyes.

several on this page, for example http://www.ritdye.com/blogs/posts/di...b-summer-color

Comment

I totally dig the jacket by the way, Ben. I'm sure you already noticed the fact that it tends towards the... eh... rural and I was thinking that is why you dressed it up with a button up and wore very modern and hip pants. I just thrifted a rusty orange suede jacket that will need similar treatment.

Comment

I would consider that a highly successful test!

Comment

@bruschetta, I find your response curious. I don't own a denim jacket and don't really have plans to, but it is pretty standard workwear style...

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Working...
                              X