So my tailor slimmed my sleeves far too much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my tailor slimmed my sleeves far too much

I picked up 4 shirts during one of the recent j crew sales. Took them to my tailor and had the usual sides tapered plus darts. I asked her to slim the sleeves for me for the first time. I get them back and try rolling the sleeves up at home...it took 5 minutes per sleeve and was almost painful at times. When they aren't rolled up they are fairly snug to my forearms. I'm pretty pissed. When she pinned them up I don't remember her even putting any pins below my elbow. Is there any way to remedy this or did I just waste $125+tailoring costs?

Mreh.. I'm sorry to hear that. My recommendation is to turn the shirt inside out and see if she simply folded the extra fabric underneath (which I admit is unlikely) or if she simply cut it off. If she sewed it underneath, they could be let back out, though I'm not sure if there would be something visible on the sleeve from where the hem was. If she simply cut off the extra fabric, I'm afraid that you have no options.

Comment

Are they comfortable enough when rolled up? If so you could just wear them that way, maybe pull the sleeves back before putting the shirt on.

Comment

I had this problem before. IF there is enough fabric leftover she can let it out.

Comment

Ah the first time for everything I have had experience with tight sleeves, rolling up and ripping my shirts a few times, without being tailored thankfully.

Comment

@trash, I have never thought of that before. Great idea.

It appears that she cut off the excess fabric. I guess I can take one back in and see if there is anything she can do? They are comfortable enough when rolled up for me to deal with. However, when they are unrolled they are still tight to my forearms to the point of looking pretty much skin tight when I bend my elbow. Damn.

Comment

Just left the tailor. They cut the fabric so they could not be taken out. She said in order to give the "slim look" I wanted that they do it like that and it isn't meant for you to be able to roll up the sleeves. She said next time to mention that if I get the sleeves tapered. Wish she would have enlightened me beforehand. At least I was lucky with the Calibrate Black Gingham, my favorite shirt, because with the spandex (I think?) that's in it it can stretch and fold without too much hassle.

Comment

I bet they look sharp without rolling the sleeves. I'm not a big fan of rolling up sleeves just because I automatically assume the sleeve length was wrong so the roll was to cover for that. Obviously a generalization, but I still tend to think that.

Comment

You may try different sleeve rolling methods and make sure to unbutton the little intermediate button. Joe recommends the fold once, push up to the elbow, fold over again method. Sounds like you're just rolling rolling rolling.

5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

Roll them up before you put them on.

Comment

Pretty much all of my best fitting shirts are like that and I don't have particularly massive forearms.

I think to a certain extent it just comes with the territory of having a slimmer fit.

Comment

@ NC - Funny that you think rolled up sleeves look "wrong." I think just the opposite - maybe it's a comfort/temperature thing, but if I'm not wearing a jacket over a long-sleeved shirt, the first thing I do with it is roll up the sleeves. To me, a long-sleeved shirt on its own looks funny, whether tucked-in or not, unless the sleeves are rolled up.

Ben

Comment

Welcome to the gun show ladies.

Comment

Working...
                          X