The Custom Tuxedo Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Custom Tuxedo Question

Some assistance from my fellow readers on this "dilemma" that arose today. While at the tailor's getting some shirts and a jacket cleaned up, I noticed that they offered to make custom shirts. When checking out, I asked if they also made suits as I will need a tuxedo for my wedding next spring. They said yes and sat me down with a few booklets of cloth swatches and told me to pick the one I liked.

I perused about three different books and settled on a Super 110s that I liked. There were also some Super 140s on offering, but I preferred the feel of the 110s. Inquiring further I was told I can pick any details I like (i.e. peak or shawl lapel, choose my lining, etc just like if you ordered from Indochino or similar) and I also get a vest included to make it a three piece. He also said that the tux would be made in house, not shipped out somewhere to return later. The one thing I forgot to ask, which I am kicking myself for, is if it would be fused or canvased.

So then came the cost -- $1,000 even. Any details I like, any cloth, custom fitting. Do I jump on this?

I've been very happy with the work provided by this tailor so far on all my suits and shirts I've brought in.

Eh.... I'd do some really serious research into the quality of his bespoke suiting. For a grand you could get a pretty decent bespoke tux from a reputable suitmaker, so please don't settle if he doesn't come very highly recommended.

Comment

Will you wear it often - or at least a few times a year? If not, your tux should be cheaper (in terms of quality and cost) than suits which get used repeatedly. If you'll really only be wearing it for your wedding, get the cheapest tuxedo that looks good once tailored - it doesn't need to be very durable.

Comment

I'd have to agree with Kenneth and JT. Tailoring does not equal bespoke suiting. Do a lot of research on the guy's quality and ask to see some examples of his work.

Also, as JT said, how often will you really wear it? Obviously you want to look good for your wedding but also keep practicality in mind. Consider the indochino 3 piece is as $450 plus $75 re-tailoring credit will look and fit just about as well. I'd save the $550 for your honeymoon, or buy something nice for your fiance.

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

Working...
        X