sweated through cotton blazer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sweated through cotton blazer

Broke out a new, unstructured cotton blazer today, but it may have been a bit premature, as I sweated through all my layers to form two moderately sized damp spots under the armpits that are externally visible (if you look closely).

What's the protocol for cleaning a cotton blazer? If it were fully lined wool, I probably wouldn't dry clean it, as the sweating wasn't so so bad, but maybe because it's partially lined cotton dry cleaning isn't as harmful? Fwiw, the label says it is machine washable but that dry cleaning is better for it.

As best as I can tell, my options are: 1) air dry and re-assess how it looks in the morning; 2) dry clean; 3) hand wash (w/ or w/o spot treatment); 4) machine wash (w/ or w/o spot treatment).

Other potentially relevant details... the blazer's color (navy) hides the damp spots pretty darn well (you can only see a slightly darker color differentiation by getting up close). The damp spots don't smell. The blazer's cotton has a fair bit of thickness and weight to it. Shoulders have minimal padding. Not sure if the lining contains fusing or not.

I'd air dry and reassess and if you want to clean it machine wash on delicate with minimal detergent.

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

What tomservo said.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Please do NOT machine wash a blazer. The easiest option would be to take it to a good dry cleaner to have it laundered and pressed. If you want to wash it yourself then try these steps:

Fill a large sink or tub with cold water. Add 1-2 caps worth of Woolite extra gentle detergent. Let it soak for 20 minutes to an hour. Gently rinse the detergent out of the blazer using cold water. Hang the blazer on a suit hanger with packing paper or rags in the sleeves to preserve the shape. It may take up to two days for the blazer to dry. Steam the blazer with a steamer or an iron with a steam function.

Comment

Lol I was worried about the same thing today! Had a job interview and was worried I would sweat through the blazer lol

Comment

Interesting that there's no consensus so far. My own instinct was not to machine wash a blazer (I listed my options pretty much in the order I'd resort to them), so I'll have to see how it looks in the morning.

@Bruschetta--Does laundering and pressing not involve machine washing? I would've thought it does.

Comment

Well hang on... You call it an unstructured blazer but then talk about a lining and shoulder pads? If it has a lining then don't wash it, I'd still reassess once dry and then dry clean if need be.

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

Yeah, should've said lightly structured. I can see how that makes a big difference to how you'd clean it.

As far as air drying, this morning it still has the same faint dark spots (only visible from very close) it did yesterday, so I'm leaning towards giving it some kind of cleaning.

Comment

Working...
                X