The Black Suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Black Suit

So we all know black clothing is hard to do well and black suits typically reserved for funerals. But in the spirit of the pleat discussion, surely there must be some way to wear it.

I have a well fitting black suit that was my father's and it looks great on me. I hate to have it just hanging in my closet only appearing two or three times a year. Is there anyway I can make it look like I'm not going to a funeral?

Thanks in advance for your helpful and snarky comments.

Dress for style, live for results.

I think it looks appropriate for formal evening weddings or benefits/galas. You could modernize it with a tie with some personality or a colored shirt.

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Until recently I didn't even know that black was one of the least versatile colors. I used to wear my old black suit to everything - weddings,funerals, job interviews, etc. I honestly don't think 99% of the people who see you in it are going to know any better.

Comment

I don't know about that Vicious, quite a few of us working downtown thought people in black suits were odd before I even knew it was "taboo", kind of Men In Black/Funeral look. Lots of people were wearing pinstripes then too so it was very stand out. Funny thing is that was the colour we all wore to graduation pretty much, not sure if that's "Formal" and it was during the day to boot.

Comment

Haha. Well I guess I was just overly ignorant to such things before I discovered this website then. I had no idea that black was so limited.

Comment

There are probably two parts to the 'nay' argument. One you have the idea that black suits are for funerals (and maybe the evening) only and thus a violation of the 'rules', the other that black simply does not look good on most people. How the latter influences the former in most people's minds is a matter for the philosophy and psychology scholars on this forum!

Hear me out on this: during the day you've got sunlight and a color temperature that doesn't leave much to the imagination. In the evening you've got street lamps, incandescent bulbs, soft-white fluorescent bulbs, other ambient light, warmer color temperature in general. A black suit with a white shirt will probably look fine in a softly-lit restaurant for that reason. Allow someone to take a harsh flash photograph of you in that same situation and you'll probably look washed out - even if you're following the 'evening wear only' rule.

I think it's all about lighting.

Comment

Working...
            X