Why reinvent the wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why reinvent the wheel?

Having watched this unfold many times, I have to ask why do you think this happens?

New to menswear guy: Hey, I'm looking for blankety blank with these qualities.

Guru: Here is exactly what you're looking for...

New guy: Hmmm, that's a dollar more than I was thinking of spending.

Someone partway through their sartorial journey: I heard of ___ company that has mixed reviews but a lower price!

New guy: Thanks! *orders*

(time passes)

New guy: That sucked. Any other places even cheaper with higher quality?

nicholascrawford, every one of those users is in reality me. Every so often I register under a new pseudonym and think to myself, "What can I post that will finally drive Nicholas over the brink of insanity?"

Comment

Hehe, I do most of those. It's part of the journey, making mistakes is the only way to move up the sartorial ladder.

Comment

@NC haha that is an excellent summary. It just takes time for people to realize fast, cheap, good - pick 2. And for certain things you can't even pick 2, you just need to go with good.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I have the opposite issue. I'll buy something that costs more because I figure I'd rather buy something decent initially than be 'upgrading' a month later. But then when I get bored with something, it means I'm out a lot more money. I went snowboarding once, bought $1000 worth of snowboarding gear, and have used it maybe 2-3 times. I started cycling last year, spent $1500 at least on a bike and gear, and have used it only a few times this year.

This weekend when BR was having the friends and family discount, I bought a Monogram suit because it's supposed to be their highest line only to have to return it later because it doesn't fit my body shape as well as their Tailored suits.

Comment

Vicious - sounds like you're already game to pay for quality. Trying on many different fits from a company is all part of the process - a more expensive item won't automatically fit better because we're all shaped differently.

I'm speaking more towards someone looking for a dress shirt, gets recommendations for Ratio, Brooks Brothers, and CT. Too expensive. Boring colors and fabrics. iModernTailorBespokeCustomMTMoffshoreDiscountedFir stOrder.com? Perfect! I can get a button down collar with French cuffs and a Going Out Shirt fabric with sparkles!!

Comment

Don't forget the added epaulets!

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

My thing with a lot of suggestions is that I just can't afford the more expensive higher quality pieces at this point in my life but I also know that when I get the less expensive/quality pieces that they won't be as good as most of the suggestions. I just keep those suggestions in the back of my head until I can afford them.

Babies are expensive and engagement rings are equally as expensive. (I did things a little backwards but hey it works for me)

Comment

Working...
                X