My First Visit to Uniqlo Soho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Visit to Uniqlo Soho

So, after hearing so much about Uniqlo on this site and others, I decided to take the 10 minute walk from my office today at lunch. In terms of quality, I think that the most direct comparison would be to Gap. I didn't buy anything but based on what I saw and touched, I think that Gap may be of slightly higher quality. The Uniqlo broadcloth shirts seemed cheaply made of very thin material and I guess at the on sale price of $24.90, appropriately priced. The Merino sweaters were extremely thin. Their Chinos looked no better than Gap or LEC. The only things that looked great to me were the "Made in Japan" Jeans and their Cashmere sweaters. Those Jeans seemed like they were well made of high quality Selvedge material and at a great price of $89.90. The regular Jeans looked the same, or slightly inferior to standard Gap denim. I didn't try anything on because nothing really appealed to me that I needed. Oh, the undershirts and underwear also looked good and had great prices but since I didn't buy any, I can't vouch for their quality. I think the next time that I need undergarments, I will give them a try.

Based on my impression, if you don't have Uniqlo near you, you are not missing much. They seem like a good place for Basics but nothing really special that you could not find at a regular mall store like Gap or H&M.

If your criteria is out and out quality, then you're not going to like Uniqlo much. What makes people rave about them is that their clothes fit quite well and retail for reasonable to cheap-ish prices. I've received compliments on how their oxfords fit OTR from my tailor.

So yes, that makes them an excellent place for basics and for well-fitting wardrobe placeholders until you have the budget for better quality. I find their balance of selection, fit, price, and quality consistently better - significantly better - than Gap and H&M.

Comment

@Standard_Deviance - Do you have any experience with the "Made in Japan" Jeans? I'm wondering how they will hold up long term, since they seemed well made.

Comment

Have bought some great blazers from there for nothing and having lasted 2 years plus

Comment

Yeah. I have two blazers and matching pants from them I love. And just got a third. Also I love their underwear.

The dress shirts looked kind of rough to me - a bit informal.

Comment

Sorry, Juan, no experience w/ any of Uniqlo's denim. Never even tried it on. I don't own lots of denim, so I just stick w/ one brand/fit that I like until my tastes change.

Comment

I agree that Uniqlo is great for basics, but it's fairly boring beyond that (though the store was very vibrant...every 10 feet it seemed like an employee was enthusiastically shouting "Welcome to Uniqlo!!!") Basics are great when Gap and H&M keep going overboard with superfluous details (LEC does some of that too) - sometimes I just want a plain shirt, not a fashion item.

One thing I really liked about Uniqlo was how much natural fiber they used. I'm not sure how low-grade wool or cotton stacks up against synthetics, but it's nice to see them try.

Comment

Working...
              X