No announcement yet.

Levi's 513 vs. 514. Round 1. FIGHT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any chance you could post the leg opening measurements for further comparison?

Thanks

Comment

I used to wear 513s religiously and then started wearing 511s because I could never find 513s in a dark wash. I searched again for 513s recently after the topic came up on threads and the only dark wash 513s I could find felt like paper - completely lacked the feel of the 514s I own (and have to taper!)

Two pairs of 513s I own have now been relegated to 'work wear', unfortunately. I don't think I'll buy another pair of 511s, however. Just too slim.

Comment

I'm a fan of them, yeah. Just found them a few months ago though, really! The rise doesn't feel that much higher, if at all (at least on the ones I've worn), and to me there seems to be minimal difference in the thighs, but from the knees down it's much slimmer, and the leg opening is noticeably tapered, as well. All around solid slim fit, imo. The color/wash selection can be on the spartan side, though!

Comment

This is something I've been wondering about as well, and I haven't had a chance to check out the 513s in person. When I finally made the switch from bootcut to straight-leg jeans (though it took me long enough haha), 514s were the first pair I bought. I could never imagine wearing skinny jeans, but the 514s felt like a good compromise. But like LesserBlackDog said, now that I've had the 514s for over a year, the leg opening seems a bit floppy and boot-cut to me....sometimes it just doesn't seem as sharp or streamlined. Maybe the 514s just seemed slim because I was used to bootcuts, or maybe now that I wear loafers more, the leg opening seems large. Whatever it is, I was hoping to get some feedback on a few questions:

- The Levi's website says that the 513s have a 15 1/4" opening, as opposed to the 514's 17" opening. Has anyone found that maybe this goes a bit TOO slim, especially since it's only slightly larger than the 511? I guess the 513s would be fine for loafers or dress shoes, but has anyone found them to be too tight around boots or thicker shoes? (One of the reasons I used to only buy bootcuts was to avoid that 1990s Seinfeld-esqe ankle taper.)

- Any chance of getting the 513s on sale? Kohls, as well as most Macys, don't seem to carry them, and I've never paid more than $50 for a pair of jeans. Just a personal thing, but I don't like to pay too much for denim, and the 513s seem a bit pricy.

- Someone above said that they get their 514s tapered. Do tailors do this pretty easily, and about how much do they charge? I might go that route for now, since I already have a few pairs of jeans that would be fine once tapered slightly below the knee. On a related note, I've always been a Levi's fan, but I recently got a couple pairs of Lucky Brand at their outlet for $50 a piece. The fit, comfort and quality seem pretty good so far, and may convert me away from Levi's. The Lucky 121 heritage slim might be a good middle ground between the 513 and 514. Also, the Lucky 221 straights have a good fit at the thighs, but suffer from the same issue at the opening as the 514s.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post; looking forward to seeing what you guys have to say.

Comment

Just throwing this out there.

Bonobos Slim Straight Dark Denim, Made in the USA Selvedge is currently $68.

Non selvedge $54
            that's only like 3/2 of levi's pricing, and they've got the bonobos fit.

Comment

Originally posted by holmes10 View Post
              - Any chance of getting the 513s on sale? Kohls, as well as most Macys, don't seem to carry them, and I've never paid more than $50 for a pair of jeans. Just a personal thing, but I don't like to pay too much for denim, and the 513s seem a bit pricy.
              Today Levi's.com is 40% off and free shipping with promo code MONDAY. Should take them down to $35

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                Today Levi's.com is 40% off and free shipping with promo code MONDAY. Should take them down to $35
                Thanks. Also, if I'm a 30x32 in the 514s, should I stick with the same size in the 513s?

Comment

Oooooo. Been waiting for this comparison. If only they had the 513 in 32x36 somewhere? anyone know?

edit: anyone know if there is enough fabric at the cuff of levis to lengthen them?
                  Last edited by Margotron; December 10, 2012, 04:27 PM.

Comment

One thing that I haven't tried, but may make the attempt, is American Eagle slim straight jeans. The leg opening is smaller (by an inch) than a typical 514. While they're geared towards a younger crowd, I've got a few pairs of AE khakis that fit awesomely and I refuse to get rid of them, as well as the blue shawl sweater from last year. So they've had some hidden gems here and there. Their jeans are on sale right now for $29.95, so I may grab a pair and experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Zack Malibu View Post
                      One thing that I haven't tried, but may make the attempt, is American Eagle slim straight jeans. The leg opening is smaller (by an inch) than a typical 514. While they're geared towards a younger crowd, I've got a few pairs of AE khakis that fit awesomely and I refuse to get rid of them, as well as the blue shawl sweater from last year. So they've had some hidden gems here and there. Their jeans are on sale right now for $29.95, so I may grab a pair and experiment.
                      I remember trying on some AE jeans at their outlet a few months ago, and I wasn't that impressed. It wasn't the age thing, as some of their jeans are plenty dark and classic, but I just didn't feel that the fit was comfortable or looked that great. Especially for the prices they were asking. But on sale they might work out fine.

Comment

Originally posted by holmes10 View Post
                        Thanks. Also, if I'm a 30x32 in the 514s, should I stick with the same size in the 513s?
                        Yes, that should be fine.

Comment

What color do you all own in 513s? The ones that catch me eye are scraper dark: http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...46854.11326986

and super dark (though there are barely any sizes left at the moment): http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...46854.11326986

Comment

Scraper Dark, IMO, is the best 513 option.

In relation to my previous comment on American Eagle Jeans, I picked up 2 pairs of their slim straight on sale. The fit is great, much more streamlined than a 514. Slimmer leg (not skinny jean style though) and the leg opening is 16 as opposed to the 17 on a 514. Very surprised and satisfied with the purchase.

Comment

Hi, just bought 508, returned it the next day. The waist size was MUCH larger than what it actually was. 40"? Instead of 32" even the tag said 32". The tapered leg fit was perfect otherwise and loved the tight fit at the ankle. I also liked the dark blue. I may have to look for a size 28" or something.

Tried out 511,513,514. They all fit great, but still not as good as 508 on the leg part especially below the knees.

Comment

Funny this has been brought up. I tried on 511, 508, & 514 recently. I went with 514 and had the leg openings changed to 14''.

Comment

Working...
                                X