Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• john_pepper
    replied

AE has offered the Dalton in walnut cordovan in the past. Might be worth a call to see if they'll be back this year. Some might think that walnut shoes with a navy suit is too contrasty, but it could work as long as it's not a very conservative affair. And IMO they will look a lot nicer than your other options.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

Two words: shell cordovan

Looks beautiful as it ages but can be dressed down. Works wonders in the rain and snow as it is water resistant naturally. Just beware of salt. Alden has many shell options in your price range. Not suede I know, but suede can be a pain to keep looking nice in harsher weather.

Leave a comment:

• MikeWinsThis
    replied

Washington, DC - all 4 seasons.

Excellent point regarding the soles being too casual for dual-purpose. This helps actually, as I think I need to pick do I want a dress-boot or a very nice/dressy casual boot. Having one that fills both may be tough.

Leave a comment:

• Sigtweed Corduroy
    replied

Personally, I am fine with a suede boot with a suit, while not a traditional look, I think it will look more than great, especially a high end one.

My main question was more that I think some of those options have a too-casual-looking sole for regular suit wearing (the second Alden is an exception though), where as the AE suggested by Lewis definitely look great with a suit.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

Bump it if it's been awhile. Idk if they make boots, but Meermin's MTO quality has a great reputation for the price. You can customize that way also.

You do run the risk with SF of the "well if you will spend $500 why not save some more and get some real shoes" type responses.

What kind of climate do you live in, Mike?

Leave a comment:

• Hardrain
    replied

I might be off base here, but I don't think suede chukka boots would ever work with a suit, unless you were intentionally trying to be "out there"

I consider chukka boots to be pretty casual, definitely not too dressy for jeans and a blazer.

But along with what greg said, I would never spend over $200 on chukka boots, so maybe I don't know what im talking about

Leave a comment:

• MikeWinsThis
    replied

Arrrghhh, no responses from them on this so far. Will maybe try askandy.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

Mike this is a bit out of the typical Dappered price range. I would bring this question to styleforum.

Leave a comment:

• MikeWinsThis
    replied

Thanks Ryan - the only reason I didn't look at those AE's is because if I am going non-suede, I would prefer shell for durability purposes.

Leave a comment:

• Lewis Hollow
    replied

Hey Mike, I don't have any direct experience with the boots you mentioned. I would, however, highly recommend the Allen Edmonds Dalton boots in chocolate brown: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF0111_1_40000000001_-1

Beautiful boots, well made, understated enough to wear with a suit, "hip" enough for jeans. And they're even under your budget. The Style Blogger had a great post that shows off their versatility: http://www.thestyleblogger.com/6153/1-piece5-ways-allen-edmonds-wingtip-brogue-boots/

My $.02.

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• MikeWinsThis
    started a topic Higher-end boot advice/feedback

Higher-end boot advice/feedback

Follow up on a previous post I made about people's fall shoes, and I have narrowed down my options, but am looking for some additional feedback on specific items. With a $500-600 budget, I want something that would pair excellent with some indigo jeans and a blazer, but are nice enough they could also pull double duty with a navy suit.

I primarily would like to go with a suede chukka boot, either Adlen's unlined flex-sole suede chukka or this one from Tod's: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/tods-esq...a-boot/3195291. Unfortunately, can't try on the Tod's in store, but tried on a bunch of similar ones and overall I found their suede top notch. The Tod's also were on Bluefly for ~$150 off at one point though, and I am not sure how the quality of that specific shoe would stand up compared to Alden's. The Alden is of course nice, but the toe is quite rounded - a little more than I would like.

Does anyone have either pair or can anyone offer any guidance on things I should be aware of?

An outlier is this: http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/...0853/20853.jsp but in terms of serving dual purpose, if I were to swap out the laces could this function with a suit and not look out of place? Should I be looking at this instead, even though it may be too dressy for a jeans get up: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/JCrewingoodcompany/Alden/PRDOVR~28357/28357.jsp?TCode=GGBS00002

I know this isn't a thrifty purchase I am looking at here, but want to ensure the quality of what I am getting - any feedback would be appreciated.

Working...
X