Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will be your Fall / Winter purchases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    nicholascrawford
    Varsity Member

• nicholascrawford
    replied

I'm used to wearing one or two pairs of long underwear plus the flannel lined pants over that. I'll probably need to recalibrate here in SF, but I don't think flannel lined pants warm you up much on their own since it's all about trapping warm air against your skin. Ah being a snow plowing contractor in Wisconsin is honestly something I'll really miss.

With all due respect to Pitbull and Havana Brown, as snow plow operators, we run the night.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    Super Moderator

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

@ NC, re flannel-lined jeans - I've always thought flannel-lined pants were silly. I'd rather wear long johns - then I can wear any pants I want and still have warm legs, plus I can also wear those same pants when it's warm. When I lived in Minnesota, I would wear long johns to walk to work in winter, then take them off in the bathroom for the rest of the workday.

Leave a comment:

• Sigtweed Corduroy
    Varsity Member

• Sigtweed Corduroy
    replied

Nicholas, wow, thanks for the awesome compliment, I greatly appreciate it! Joe was actually kind enough to submit to a grilling a ways back, here's a link if you want to check it out:

http://sigtweedandcorduroy.tumblr.co...f-dappered-com

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    Varsity Member

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Sigtweed - that's an awesome blog you're running!

Leave a comment:

• Sigtweed Corduroy
    Varsity Member

• Sigtweed Corduroy
    replied

I'm adding a new jacket to my list as the Penfield Walpole waxed cotton one I ordered didn't fit (XXL just a little bit too small). I'm crushed as it would have been the perfect jacket. Rugged looking but not too thick(I live in Los Angeles)and the perfect style.

If anyone has any leads on an option like this definitely let me know.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    Varsity Member

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Forgot to mention this earlier, but I'm really looking forward to flannel-lined 505s getting restocked. They were sold out on Levi.com by December, so I will jump on them early this year. They're the slimmest fitting lined jeans on the market. L.L. Bean has them in a looser "classic fit" and Cabelas has their roomy relaxed fit ones. Lands End had a pair, but they were the excessively spacious "traditional fit" too. I want to be warm, and I want that fabric close!

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    Super Moderator

• greg_s
    replied

Haha well yeah you should be fine then. Vintage is a good way to go, though finding the right fit can be tough. Most ebay finds will have pics of the tags and you can see if the fabric was woven in Ireland.

Leave a comment:

• AedanM

• AedanM
    replied

That's very true. My father was from Donegal, so I sorta know what to look for. I'm no tweed expert though. I might even wait until my next trip over to Ireland to buy it.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    Super Moderator

• greg_s
    replied

I like the look of tweed vests but have yet to find one as well. Beware of getting roped in by the word "Donegal." I like the look, but Donegal, unlike Harris Tweed, is a name that can really just be used by anyone and does not imply quality. It all depends on who is making it. Harris tweed certainly varies a bit, but it is always high quality and always hand-woven in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• AedanM

• AedanM
    replied

I'd love to find a nice Donegal tweed vest for the fall. I've been looking for one but have not had any luck yet.

And a nice fitted pea coat. I looked for one last year but most I found were really wide at the bottom.

Probably a navy wool blazer. I have one but it's gotten a little too snug in the chest and pulls when it's buttoned. Might be time to let it go.

Leave a comment:

• pomor

• pomor
    replied

I"m buying a Marc New York winter coat

A few merino sweaters (Target/TJ Maxx)

4-6 dress shirts in pastel colors (slim fit, no iron, spread collar)

Possibly a Producer suit from Express in gray

A couple of Xtra long ties in neutral colors

Leather gloves in black or chocolate color or both

My winter wardrobe is actually much richer than spring/summer so some of these are just filling the gaps

Leave a comment:

• Lib
    replied

I already have the items:

- dark navy pea coat

- a harris tweed SC

Both have to have the sleeves let out so there is still money to be spent.

I was impressed with the Gap OCBDs, but I needed one size in the body and another size in the arms.

I returned a cotton blazer the other week as I was unimpressed with how the fabric fell on my small frame. Could just be that particular fabric, but I feel like the creases and pulls on a cotton blazer aren't very forgiving. With fall coming up I'd definitely like to find a navy wool blazer.

Leave a comment:

• Sean

• Sean
    replied

@LosRockets, I would go for the cotton blazer. I personally think it's more versatile for chinos and blazers. I'm still looking for one but the J.Crew Ludlow looks like the best fit

Leave a comment:

• RiveDroit
    Varsity Member

• RiveDroit
    replied

In the market for some relatively cheap work shoes. I already have some traditional laceups and wingtips, so wanted something different. I found these Steve Maddens that have hopped on the bright sole bandwagon. What do you all think?

http://goo.gl/OCZNG

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    Dappered Veteran

• LosRockets
    replied

@Sean: Me too (on the pickup, not the price). Debating on whether to get wool or cotton for my first navy blazer (FWIW I live in Houston and I'm in med school, so blazers don't get too much wear these days). Any opinion on which I should get first?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X