accidentally gaming the DSW system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accidentally gaming the DSW system

About 2-3 weeks ago I bought a pair of Beeswax Clark's Bushacres from DSW for $80 and a pair of Beeswax Clark's DB from Amazon for $77. I decided to keep the DBs, so yesterday I returned the Bushacres to my local DSW, planning to shop for another pair of shoes with a $15 off DSW coupon that was set to expire today.

However, I found myself low on time yesterday, so I just did a quick return and no shopping. On my walk home from a doctor's appointment today, I decided to stop by that same DSW again where, lo and behold, the Bushacres I returned yesterday were in the clearance section for 40% off. Knock off another $15 for the coupon and I found myself re-purchasing the same $80 Bushacres I'd returned the day before for $32.

I'm not saying it would be ethically above board to plan something like this, and I'm not saying it would always work or make sense in every situation, but it was too good a stroke of luck not to share with other bargain-minded gents.

edit: I should add that I hadn't worn the DB's yet, so they will be going back to Amazon.

Don't think it's unethical since you didn't plan it. Nice little perk though, congrats!

Comment

Yeah, ethically I'd be opposed to doing that.

And at a place like DSW, it's not particularly common for that to happen (but not unheard of: a pair of their double monks were marked 40% off for no apparent reason so I can only assume it was a return).

However, my local Sears does the same with most Lands End order returns made in store.

I returned my LE Tailor Fit suit (the suit that inspired the "Official 'How Does This Fit?' Thread") and as soon as I took it out of the bag and explained to her I wanted to return it she slapped a "Clearance: 30% Off" tag on it before I had even actually begun the return process. I asked her "What would stop me from repurchasing it at the cheaper price?" and she just said, "Nothing, I guess."

Comment

Once I returned a dress shirt at Target (orig $22.99), and when they reprinted the price tag it was $6.49. The cashier and I were shocked, and she actually said she was going to set it aside for her husband. When there is a drastic reduction, I'm sure employees do that often.

Comment

Don't see anything unethical about it. It's not any different from asking for price adjustment (LEC is a good example). A few years ago on Black Friday, I used to buy big ticket item like a week before BF and then price adjust/or return-rebuy on BF so that I don't have to stand in line 12hrs before the opening.

Comment

<blockquote>

A few years ago on Black Friday, I used to buy big ticket item like a week before BF and then price adjust/or return-rebuy on BF so that I don't have to stand in line 12hrs before the opening.</blockquote>

That is f'ing brilliant. Hats off to you.

Comment

Man DSW is insane. I went to buffalo for the day, got Florsheim no string wings in navy for $38. They had some Florsheim Duckie Browns there for $80. I almost feel stupid for not buying them, but I didnt really need them

Comment

@mixto and ham1car,

That was surprisingly common.

So much so that most stores have enacted policies to prevent it (for example, per policy, not allowing price adjusts to BF prices). This is especially true with electronics.

Comment

Working...
                X