Allen Edmonds Refurbishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allen Edmonds Refurbishing

I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds Chester Wingtips off Ebay. I got them for next to nothing. They are in rougher shape than I thought. I am thinking of sending them off to AE to be recrafted. Has anyone used the service? Is it worth the $125. If I go this route I will still have paid well under half of the original price for these.

Going the budget route, I would only do that if they need to be resoled. If the soles are okay but the uppers are in rough shape, you could recondition them yourself or find a shoe shine outfit that could do it for you for less. If money were no object, I assume you would have just bought them new.

Comment

Bought a pair of AE McAllisters from a thrift that were in really bad shape. Since they've been resoled by a cobbler, I didn't have the option of sending them to AE for recraft. I really didn't have high hopes for the shoe, but for $2, why not?

Some Lexol cleaner, conditioner, shoe trees, Meltonian and some Venetian Shoe Cream I was able to make them look really nice again.

Comment

to answer the OP directly, the recrafting service by AE is absolutely worth the money. As opposed to a regular cobbler, AE not only puts a new sole on the shoe, they actually refill the cork footbed and stretch the shoe on the last that it was originally made on. As long as the uppers are whole, they will send you back shoes that look as good (or better, actually) as new.

They have a good video about recrafting on the AE website...might want to take a look if you haven't already....

Comment

Thanks guys. I did condition and polish the shoes when I first got them but there are some minor creases that I think recrafting can fix. With two little ones at home I don't have time to try and do a long refinishing process so the $125 is a small price to pay to get what should be a new pair of shoes.

Comment

Sorry to thread jack, but what is the turn around time for AE?

"We had a sick night b*tches!"

Comment

@Leslie Chow their website says turn around is 2 to 4 weeks. Sadly if I do it soon I will dq myself from the NSC. I might just wear my cap-toes to the September event I am going to and wait on the re-crafting.

Comment

Working...
              X