Is this suit too tight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this suit too tight?

It feels like it fits perfectly on the shoulders and I know the arms a bit long so I will get them shortened, but I've gotten multiple comments that it seems too tight around the stomach/waist. It does feel a bit tight but it looks good to me. It is a 36R, should I switch it for a 38R? Or would it fit fine if I lost a weight? And would it be better to just lose some weight and keep this size, or just switch to 38R regardless of weight changes? I'm 5'8" and a 160 lbs if this helps.

Could you take a picture with only the first button fastened?

Comment

That looks pretty tight across the waist, the fabric tugging on the back doesn't look too good. It also looks like you haven't cut off the vent stitches yet. Give that a try and see if it gets better.

Comment

Looks pretty tight. Ask a tailor if they can let it out. The shoulders and chest look good.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Only button the top button (never do both), see if that helps.

Comment

byu033, yes, it is too tight.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. Should I just go up to 38R or just lose some weight? As in, would my shoulders and chest fit a 38R well or would it look too loose?

Comment

From the back, the shoulders don't look too big. From the front, the lapels aren't bowing so it looks like the chest is fine. From the back, the jackets hips look to be hugging your body in a not-so-flattering way.

If you size up to a 38R, the chest and shoulders will also get bigger and I don't think you want to do that to account for a tight waist or hips on the jacket.

Either see if you can let it out or find a different suit manufacturer that suits your body better.

Comment

If you prefer a tighter fit and think that this suit might service, you really need to cut the vent threads, button the top button only, and repost pictures so that we can assess drape and fit properly.

I honestly think this suit might be a great fit if you cut the threads and buttoned it properly, so please do those things and repost before taking the suit back or having it tailored.

Comment

Those will help it drape, sure. And that's how you should be wearing suits anyways, byu. However, it will still be too tight across the top button. The waist will need to be let out. Don't buy something that doesn't fit with a plan to lose weight.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I second greg's response. I don't think you'll gain extra fabric with the vents and 2nd button undone. If it has room for a tailor to let out a little (and you shorten the sleeves), could be a great fit.

Comment

Don't size up!

In the future, you'll want to look for less aggressively slim-fitting suits, but it's really no big deal to let out the waist.

Comment

Out of curiosity, where did you get the suit? And the tie? I quite like the tie.

Comment

Working...
                          X