Tailor it or forget it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailor it or forget it?

I have a number of Men's Warehouse / department store suits and blazers that are the traditional bulky-type suit -- e.g. shoulder pads jut out a bit too much (they don't pass the shoulder test as described here: http://dappered.com/2011/02/the-suit...riority-guide/ ).

Is it worth having the sides taken in or should I just forget it and purchase slimmer fitting suits and blazers?

Assuming that you mean the shoulder pads hang to far over your actual shoulders such as http://d2o7bfz2il9cb7.cloudfront.net/main-qimg-49eeabdf2b6065059d65c105044bf8b2

If this is the case, that type of alteration exceeds reasonable tailoring costs in my book.

Comment

I struggle with the same thing. I have a ton of somewhat expensive suits (~200 dollars) that I bought when I was interviewing - and looking at them now is sort of embarassing. Big and boxy, sleeves are way too baggy, etc,.

Personally, I think most are beyond fixing simply because the armholes are too low (which you can't fix). Slimming the sleeves and bringing in the sides doesn't create a slim suit if the armholes are really low.

Comment

Unfortunately, if you think $200 is a somewhat expensive suit, you have a lot to learn about suiting

Low armholes and poor shoulder fit would tell me to ditch the MW stuff and go slimmer. It's classic and helps you look better than a boxy suit ever will.

Comment

HA well I'm not talking MSRP, I'm talking ~200 paid price (things from discount suit stores like Syms/Marshalls - CK white label, ralph by RL, etc). I'm not talking poly blend Perry Ellis suits - which in my opinion would just be better throwing out / donating. Regardless, it was a point of measure to aid with the decision of spending $100 to alter a suit.

Comment

Working...
          X